1. Top | #121
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    *pause*

Ocean level rise didn't cause that building to collapse. It was likely the impact of insufficient dewatering of salt water causing corrosion over a period of four decades. People need to be cautious when connecting dots that poorly.
    One shouldn't trust Mother Jones to give accurate information on this kind of topic. They have a strong left bias, which contrary to many beliefs here, doesn't mean "truth". People are getting a little out of hand these days with attributing things to "climate change". Kamala Harris said one of the reasons people are leaving Central America to come to the US is "because of climate change". Proof?
    This. Climate had nothing to do with the collapse. Salt water is horribly corrosive over time. Don't keep it out, it's going to eat things.
    I thought I had read that maybe the swimming pool was slowly leaking into the foundation leading to decay of the rebar in the concrete. But maybe that was just early speculation.

2. Top | #122
    Squadron Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    https://www.motherjones.com/environm...ter-07-19-2021

By all accounts, the climate crisis is already here. Deadly heat domes across the Pacific Northwest, a petroleum pipeline leak in the middle of the ocean that set the Gulf of Mexico on fire, and the devastating collapse of a Florida condominium in the past few weeks alone have proven that the world is changing in response to how we have changed it.
    *pause*

Ocean level rise didn't cause that building to collapse. It was likely the impact of insufficient dewatering of salt water causing corrosion over a period of four decades. People need to be cautious when connecting dots that poorly.
    You're right. And what's the relevance of the pipeline leak? That paragraph should have been stricken out by a competent editor.

But the rest of the article just reports the comments of sober scientists. Nowhere in the article are the absurd charges in the opening paragraph repeated.

Certainly Mother Jones is a far more credible source than the latest lies from the Koch-Hannity Bullshit Machine.

I agree it is a shame that there is so much misinformation from "both sides." But a case should be judged by the writings of its STRONGEST proponents, not its weakest.

(This is the point I try to make in another thread. Why should crazy rantings that Queen Elizabeth was either a transvestite or the secret mother of Henry Wriothesley be allowed to detract from the research of sober literature scholars?)

3. Top | #123
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    *pause*

You're right. And what's the relevance of the pipeline leak? That paragraph should have been stricken out by a competent editor.

But the rest of the article just reports the comments of sober scientists. Nowhere in the article are the absurd charges in the opening paragraph repeated.

Certainly Mother Jones is a far more credible source than the latest lies from the Koch-Hannity Bullshit Machine.

I agree it is a shame that there is so much misinformation from "both sides." But a case should be judged by the writings of its STRONGEST proponents, not its weakest.

(This is the point I try to make in another thread. Why should crazy rantings that Queen Elizabeth was either a transvestite or the secret mother of Henry Wriothesley be allowed to detract from the research of sober literature scholars?)
    I could post this link in multiple threads. Helps me understand such behavior and identify why and how it occurs.

Neural circuits responsible for conscious self-control are highly vulnerable to even mild stress. When they shut down, primal impulses go unchecked and mental paralysis sets in

4. Top | #124
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post

This. Climate had nothing to do with the collapse. Salt water is horribly corrosive over time. Don't keep it out, it's going to eat things.
    I thought I had read that maybe the swimming pool was slowly leaking into the foundation leading to decay of the rebar in the concrete. But maybe that was just early speculation.
    It's on the beach. Even water that starts out fresh will become salt.

5. Top | #125
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

I don’t think it has to be salty water to corrode the rebar. Just standing.

6. Top | #126
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Water isn't fresh from a pool, it has chlorine... which isn't good for rebar either.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    *pause*
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post

I could post this link in multiple threads. Helps me understand such behavior and identify why and how it occurs.

Neural circuits responsible for conscious self-control are highly vulnerable to even mild stress. When they shut down, primal impulses go unchecked and mental paralysis sets in
    Another impact of climate change.

7. Top | #127
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    JFC! Sometimes you people pick out a small controversial statement in an article instead of looking at the big picture. Sure, it's controversial whether or not, the condo collapse was at all influenced by climate change, although "Mother Jones" isn't the only publication that has suggested there was a correlation or might have been a correlation. Do your own search. It's mentioned as a possible influence in several more mainstream journals or sources of news. Still, it's not the primary part of that article. But.....

So, here's another example in a better source, unless you're a Trump supporting cultist, that says it's "possible" that the collapse was partially influenced by climate change.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/17/u...-surfside.html

It is too soon to say whether climate change contributed to the collapse of the building in Surfside. But the effects of global warming, which include extreme heat and more moisture in the air, cause structures to deteriorate more quickly, according to Jesse Keenan, a professor at Tulane University who specializes in the consequences of climate change for the built environment.

“Climate change is actually accelerating the degradation of buildings,” Dr. Keenan said.
    So, it is something to consider, but forget about that one example, climate change is obvious to anyone who isn't a member of the Trump cult or to those who enjoy living in denial. The floods in Germany, China and even New York City, the fires and extreme temps out west and in Canada, the fact that Siberia had extremely high temps never seen before, the melting ice in the Arctic etc. Don't focus on one small part of an article that may not currently have enough evidence to support it, look at the big picture. Climate change is here!

8. Top | #128
    Contributor
    Jeezus, the Florida building collapse is the 9/11 truthers conspiracy all over again.

A rapture like cult.

9. Top | #129
    Contributor
    Meanwhile it’s a catastrophic 77f in Los Angeles.

10. Top | #130
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Meanwhile it’s a catastrophic 77f in Los Angeles.
    Los Angeles is on the ocean, that will moderate the temperature. Over here in Las Vegas we have 104 despite a fair amount of cloud cover. Death Valley had 116.