Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Right To Repair

1. Top | #51
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    If you need instructions for disassembling a notebook then you should not.
    The problem was that the only screws I could find came at it from the wrong side. There was already a panel that had to be pried up to get it apart, I found that information. I'm sure there was something else that had to be pried to get in, but without directions you most certainly go trying to pry up random bits.
    Google your make and model number and what you want to do. Someone has probably already done it and made a video of it.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

2. Top | #52
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

The CMOS battery in my laptop was easily accessible under the keyboard.
    This is a good, but in most cases it's not intended to be ever replaced. Lithium batteries last >10 years. I have a 16 year old notebook and wristwatch with original batteries. However it's a problem with some expensive devices which supposed to last longer.
    Standard replaceable button cell here.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

3. Top | #53
    Archived
    Total Posts

The CMOS battery in my laptop was easily accessible under the keyboard.
    This is a good, but in most cases it's not intended to be ever replaced. Lithium batteries last >10 years. I have a 16 year old notebook and wristwatch with original batteries. However it's a problem with some expensive devices which supposed to last longer.
    Standard replaceable button cell here.
    Not always. Sometimes it's a soldered real time clock with a battery inside.

4. Top | #54
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If you need instructions for disassembling a notebook then you should not.
    The problem was that the only screws I could find came at it from the wrong side. There was already a panel that had to be pried up to get it apart, I found that information. I'm sure there was something else that had to be pried to get in, but without directions you most certainly go trying to pry up random bits.
    Google your make and model number and what you want to do. Someone has probably already done it and made a video of it.
    This was too long ago--Google got me to the screws hidden under a panel that had to be pried off but it didn't get me to the battery.

Sometimes manufacturers are not interested in making something repairable. I'm thinking of the extra battery pack for the UPS I used to have--there were 6 screws that appeared to let you in--nope, they did need to come out but at that point there were still two clips holding it together and the only solution was to pry with considerable force. Crap like that should be downright illegal--those clips added nothing of value, they just made it harder to repair.

5. Top | #55
    Archived
    Total Posts

This was too long ago--Google got me to the screws hidden under a panel that had to be pried off but it didn't get me to the battery.

Sometimes manufacturers are not interested in making something repairable. I'm thinking of the extra battery pack for the UPS I used to have--there were 6 screws that appeared to let you in--nope, they did need to come out but at that point there were still two clips holding it together and the only solution was to pry with considerable force. Crap like that should be downright illegal--those clips added nothing of value, they just made it harder to repair.
    I've had two UPSs. The batteries cost more to replace them than buying another new.

6. Top | #56
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

I've had two UPSs. The batteries cost more to replace them than buying another new.
    Buying batteries with a slightly lesser rating I could replace them for less than half of new.