Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: The Right To Repair

  1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,411
    Rep Power
    23

    The Right To Repair

    I was surprised there is actually a movement. The Woz speaks.

    https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/09/tech/...hnk/index.html

    "The right to repair movement has gained ground lately. In the United Kingdom, new measures have been introduced to require manufacturers of televisions, washing machines and refrigerators to provide spare parts to consumers."

  2. Top | #2
    Contributor Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    5,995
    Archived
    3,884
    Total Posts
    9,879
    Rep Power
    65
    Dear Morons. Stop soldering SSDs and Memory to the motherboards. More screws and less glue. No more thin, thin, thin, but not easily repairable. Lets start moving to solid state batteries socketed and easily changeable. Give that OS some virtual desktops. Stop farting around.
    Cheerful Charlie

  3. Top | #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    33,055
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    129,807
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Dear Morons. Stop soldering SSDs and Memory to the motherboards. More screws and less glue. No more thin, thin, thin, but not easily repairable. Lets start moving to solid state batteries socketed and easily changeable. Give that OS some virtual desktops. Stop farting around.
    This is more about making it upgradeable. While I can see a small advantage for the manufacturer to make the stuff fixed (slightly smaller, slightly lighter) the reality is technology improves. My laptop now has a 2tb SSD--something that did not exist when it was made.

  4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    32,649
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    75,122
    Rep Power
    100
    Laptops are a bit special in that they do have limitations with the power source and energy dissipation. They should have to advertise products that have components (which are typically exchangable) that can not be exchanged.

  5. Top | #5
    Tricksy Leftits Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancre
    Posts
    13,151
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    27,586
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Dear Morons. Stop soldering SSDs and Memory to the motherboards. More screws and less glue. No more thin, thin, thin, but not easily repairable. Lets start moving to solid state batteries socketed and easily changeable. Give that OS some virtual desktops. Stop farting around.
    This is more about making it upgradeable. While I can see a small advantage for the manufacturer to make the stuff fixed (slightly smaller, slightly lighter) the reality is technology improves. My laptop now has a 2tb SSD--something that did not exist when it was made.
    No, it's a response to planned obsolescence.

  6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member Tigers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the wing waiting for a kick.
    Posts
    2,424
    Archived
    2,558
    Total Posts
    4,982
    Rep Power
    61
    There is a court case in Australasia where a repairer of iPhones, ipads etc. has taken Apple to court with the support of the Aust. Competition and Consumer Omission.
    I am sympathetic as I get very annoyed that things such as Tvs, washers etc. can longer be repaired by replacing a power supply for example.
    The waste generated is enormous and needs ti change.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

  7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,411
    Rep Power
    23
    Bring back the old VW bug and bus.

    One person could change an engine, did that a number of times. Easy to rebuild an engine. Fuel efficient. Easy to tune up.

  8. Top | #8
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    17,548
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    18,255
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Bring back the old VW bug and bus.

    One person could change an engine, did that a number of times. Easy to rebuild an engine. Fuel efficient. Easy to tune up.
    Hear here!
    I love them, and I really loved my first car - a Volvo 544. One time I ran over a 2x4 in the street in San Francisco and it tore the exhaust system apart, breaking a U-clamp and twisting the hell out of the exhaust pipes. I had nothing but a 6" crescent wrench, but was able to remove the whole exhaust from the manifold, bend it back into shape around a pole and a fire hydrant, put it back on and replace the broken U-clamp with some wire I found in a gutter, tightened with a stick twisted around it.

  9. Top | #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    33,055
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    129,807
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Bring back the old VW bug and bus.

    One person could change an engine, did that a number of times. Easy to rebuild an engine. Fuel efficient. Easy to tune up.
    Dirty and unsafe by modern standards.

  10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,411
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Bring back the old VW bug and bus.

    One person could change an engine, did that a number of times. Easy to rebuild an engine. Fuel efficient. Easy to tune up.
    Dirty and unsafe by modern standards.
    The main safety feature was that the front of the car collapsed on impact absorbing energy....

    Then tehre was the exploding Pinto and the Corvair that started to go airborne because of the fins.

    I was waxing philosophical back to a simpler world where all you need was a screwdriver and a wrench....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •