Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Right To Repair

1. Top | #1
    Contributor

The Right To Repair

I was surprised there is actually a movement. The Woz speaks.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/09/tech/...hnk/index.html

"The right to repair movement has gained ground lately. In the United Kingdom, new measures have been introduced to require manufacturers of televisions, washing machines and refrigerators to provide spare parts to consumers."

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Dear Morons. Stop soldering SSDs and Memory to the motherboards. More screws and less glue. No more thin, thin, thin, but not easily repairable. Lets start moving to solid state batteries socketed and easily changeable. Give that OS some virtual desktops. Stop farting around.
    Cheerful Charlie

3. Top | #3
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Dear Morons. Stop soldering SSDs and Memory to the motherboards. More screws and less glue. No more thin, thin, thin, but not easily repairable. Lets start moving to solid state batteries socketed and easily changeable. Give that OS some virtual desktops. Stop farting around.
    This is more about making it upgradeable. While I can see a small advantage for the manufacturer to make the stuff fixed (slightly smaller, slightly lighter) the reality is technology improves. My laptop now has a 2tb SSD--something that did not exist when it was made.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Laptops are a bit special in that they do have limitations with the power source and energy dissipation. They should have to advertise products that have components (which are typically exchangable) that can not be exchanged.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    This is more about making it upgradeable. While I can see a small advantage for the manufacturer to make the stuff fixed (slightly smaller, slightly lighter) the reality is technology improves. My laptop now has a 2tb SSD--something that did not exist when it was made.
    No, it's a response to planned obsolescence.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There is a court case in Australasia where a repairer of iPhones, ipads etc. has taken Apple to court with the support of the Aust. Competition and Consumer Omission.
    I am sympathetic as I get very annoyed that things such as Tvs, washers etc. can longer be repaired by replacing a power supply for example.
    The waste generated is enormous and needs ti change.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Bring back the old VW bug and bus.

One person could change an engine, did that a number of times. Easy to rebuild an engine. Fuel efficient. Easy to tune up.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

One person could change an engine, did that a number of times. Easy to rebuild an engine. Fuel efficient. Easy to tune up.
    Hear here!
    I love them, and I really loved my first car - a Volvo 544. One time I ran over a 2x4 in the street in San Francisco and it tore the exhaust system apart, breaking a U-clamp and twisting the hell out of the exhaust pipes. I had nothing but a 6" crescent wrench, but was able to remove the whole exhaust from the manifold, bend it back into shape around a pole and a fire hydrant, put it back on and replace the broken U-clamp with some wire I found in a gutter, tightened with a stick twisted around it.

9. Top | #9
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

Dirty and unsafe by modern standards.

10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

Dirty and unsafe by modern standards.
    The main safety feature was that the front of the car collapsed on impact absorbing energy....

Then tehre was the exploding Pinto and the Corvair that started to go airborne because of the fins.

I was waxing philosophical back to a simpler world where all you need was a screwdriver and a wrench....