Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making fun of your own prior religious beliefs

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Making fun of your own prior religious beliefs

This evening I was able to call into and speak on the podcast Truth Wanted.

Link and description are found below:

https://twitter.com/AtheistDiscord/s...81464063905795

or on my FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/brian.georg...19691321705397

What are your thoughts on this topic? Has humor and making fun of religion helped you? Do you think it is inappropriate? This humor subforum had a huge influence on my life when I was first becoming a more confident atheist ~20 years ago. Also included would be satires like Landover Baptist Church, Kissing Hank's Ass, and Mrs. Betty Bowers (America's Best Christian).

2. Top | #2
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've never seen TW before but I've watched a lot of TAA. Erin has a great smile. And I love Mrs. Betty Bowers.

Listening now.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Humor has a place. Wars are won by diplomats and soldiers.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    I've never seen TW before but I've watched a lot of TAA. Erin has a great smile. And I love Mrs. Betty Bowers.

Listening now.
    What is TAA? I have learned a lot from watching plenty of episodes (and calling in a couple times) of The Atheist Experience, but that would be abbreviated TAE. Seth Andrews is great too and has a podcast called The Thinking Atheist (TTA).

The written version of Kissing Hank's Ass also was instrumental for me, but over time several people turned it into videos too. By far the best (I have seen) is this with 4 friends playing poker. It still cracks me up every time I watch.

Truth Wanted has long been hosted by ObjectivelyDan, but he recently got injured and was out for this episode. Just last week Erin had been announced as the new regular co-host, and it turns out that she had to go without Dan on her very first try. She is great, and I have had some twitter exchanges with her too.

5. Top | #5
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    TAA = The Atheist Experience in Zipr's head.

My bad.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Last night I got to call in to The Perspective and chat on a couple issues, one being a repeat of this discussion about laughing about religious beliefs (including our own previous), but with 2 different hosts this time than the previous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F426KjG-m-E

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I still find it hilarious that Genesis made it seem like Adam and Eve were the first humans he created. Then they get kicked out of the garden and a whole bunch of humans is running about the place like "where yall been?

I also find it hilarious that God's all like "Yo, don't go eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, else you'll die!" Like that ignorant fuck Adam would understand that it's good to listen and evil not to.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    God also had a puppy once, but he killed it after it ignored a printed sign that said, Don't chew on my shoes.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I became an Atheist in my teens (thanks to George Carlin) but before then I used to think Gambling was a sin but not anymore. My wife as some of you may already know is an evangelical Christian. So about 4 years into our relationship of being harassed about playing the lotto (when the jackpot amount goes viral), I finally said, "Quote the chapter and Verse that says gambling is a sin". It's been 12 years that she hasn't bothered me about the lottery.

Well, Agnostic, not Atheist but she doesn't know the difference so I won't edit.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post
    Well, Agnostic, not Atheist but she doesn't know the difference so I won't edit.
    My evangelically leaning relatives lump agnostic, atheist, Satanist, Mormon, and Catholic together.
    I tried Druid, but they lump that with Jedi, wizard, and Buddhist.

We don't talk a lot...