Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Hunter Biden - Art Sale

  1. Top | #21
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    26,016
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    29,050
    Rep Power
    100
    Trump's kids worked in the Whitehouse. Giuliani's kid worked in the Whitehouse.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

  2. Top | #22
    Elder Contributor barbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mlky Way galaxy
    Posts
    12,166
    Archived
    8,047
    Total Posts
    20,213
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    It was not just Trump. That scheme was considered wildly inappropriate so that "sons" of other politicians resigned when it became public. But not Hunter Biden. I am sorry but Joe Biden is not doing enough to separate his son from himself. And this latest scheme is just another evidence of that.
    Trump
    s family is allowed to "make a living" with countless business deals that enrich them at the expecns of tax dollars, and you pretend to be worried about an anonoous art sale. Fuck yourself with your bullshit.
    No, you fuck yourself with your lack of reading comprehension.

  3. Top | #23
    Elder Contributor barbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mlky Way galaxy
    Posts
    12,166
    Archived
    8,047
    Total Posts
    20,213
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    It was not just Trump. That scheme was considered wildly inappropriate so that "sons" of other politicians resigned when it became public. But not Hunter Biden. I am sorry but Joe Biden is not doing enough to separate his son from himself. And this latest scheme is just another evidence of that.
    Trump
    s family is allowed to "make a living" with countless business deals that enrich them at the expecns of tax dollars, and you pretend to be worried about an anonoous art sale. Fuck yourself with your bullshit.
    That wasn't their position. They are speaking entirely on Hunter Biden, not Trump's kids.
    I don't know who are you talking about, But Trump's kids should be in prison along with their dad.

  4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    12,465
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    16,120
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    So, we see so many complaints about the most ridiculously stupid things about Biden. And now, when something is served to the right-wing on a silver platter, it isn't quite as interesting.

    Hunter Biden is what people would call a "black sheep". He has struggled with having to work for a living and has suffered with well known drug addiction issues as well as using his father as a sugar daddy to squeeze into some nice gigs that require little work and great pay.

    So when there was an announcement that Hunter Biden was selling artwork, this really came in as about as big a surprise as the Lightning beating the Canadiens in the Stanley Cup finals.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    Paintings by Hunter Biden are expected to fetch up to $500,000 (£360,000) apiece at auction this autumn.
    I will say, the artwork looks surprisingly good (ghost artist?). Regardless, Hunter Biden is selling his art, again using his family connections to make money. There are concerns that this is a pay for play scheme to get access to President Biden. The White House assures us that it is all kosher and it will be impossible for Hunter Biden to know who bought the paintings. *cough*

    Quote Originally Posted by article
    When asked on Friday about the White House's reported role in the art sale, press secretary Jen Psaki said: "After careful consideration, a system has been established that allows for Hunter Biden to work in his profession within reasonable safeguards.

    "Of course, he has the right to pursue an artistic career just like any child of a president has the right to pursue a career."
    And of course, the best system would be to have Hunter Biden sell the paintings Anonymously, so the buyers have no idea who drew the artwork they purchased. That would be the way to keep this clean, and not yet another gray edging towards black method of profiting off of his father's title.

    Had Donald Trump Jr done this, certainly would be taken notice of, especially when people noticed the pieces were taken from Trump Hotel bedrooms.

    Hunter Biden is a piece of work, and it seems odd that this legit scandal takes so much less weight than the fake ones. The right just loves fake news.
    Well, selling paintings ‘anonymously’ is not how the art world works. The name of the artist very much matters as well as their biography, where they studied, and under whom, the subject of the art, the genre, and of course, what someone is willing to pay for any given piece.

    The quality of his work and what the art world —and the market thinks will determine if this is a good career move for Biden. We none of us actually know him. Fir all we know, he had always wished to pursue art but instead followed the more traditional career paths of law school, lobbying, etc. for which he did not seem much cut out for. He’s endured a great deal of tragedy in his life and now has to live under a great deal of scrutiny and the assumption that whatever career he pursues and whatever success he enjoys and indeed the clothes in his back are owed to his father’s position.

  5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,547
    Rep Power
    14
    The buyer is anonymous, not the seller... DUH. The buyer obviously knows the artist... the artist does not know the buyer so that there will not be a presumption of "tit for tat"... or the latin version of that.
    My wife is an artist and while she has not yet commented to me about his work, I can say with my amature experience that his work at the very least has promise... and is not terrible. That alone is what makes an early work very valuable.

  6. Top | #26
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    32,633
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    75,106
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    So, we see so many complaints about the most ridiculously stupid things about Biden. And now, when something is served to the right-wing on a silver platter, it isn't quite as interesting.

    Hunter Biden is what people would call a "black sheep". He has struggled with having to work for a living and has suffered with well known drug addiction issues as well as using his father as a sugar daddy to squeeze into some nice gigs that require little work and great pay.

    So when there was an announcement that Hunter Biden was selling artwork, this really came in as about as big a surprise as the Lightning beating the Canadiens in the Stanley Cup finals.

    I will say, the artwork looks surprisingly good (ghost artist?). Regardless, Hunter Biden is selling his art, again using his family connections to make money. There are concerns that this is a pay for play scheme to get access to President Biden. The White House assures us that it is all kosher and it will be impossible for Hunter Biden to know who bought the paintings. *cough*


    And of course, the best system would be to have Hunter Biden sell the paintings Anonymously, so the buyers have no idea who drew the artwork they purchased. That would be the way to keep this clean, and not yet another gray edging towards black method of profiting off of his father's title.

    Had Donald Trump Jr done this, certainly would be taken notice of, especially when people noticed the pieces were taken from Trump Hotel bedrooms.

    Hunter Biden is a piece of work, and it seems odd that this legit scandal takes so much less weight than the fake ones. The right just loves fake news.
    Well, selling paintings ‘anonymously’ is not how the art world works.
    Generally it isn't. But we aren't really talking about established artists here.
    The name of the artist very much matters as well as their biography, where they studied, and under whom, the subject of the art, the genre, and of course, what someone is willing to pay for any given piece.

    The quality of his work and what the art world —and the market thinks will determine if this is a good career move for Biden.
    Except we go back to the issue of pay for play. That value is extraordinarily more valuable than even the value of famous artwork.
    We none of us actually know him. Fir all we know, he had always wished to pursue art but instead followed the more traditional career paths of law school, lobbying, etc. for which he did not seem much cut out for.
    This is quite possible. The trouble is, this maneuver is following a recognizable pattern of profiting off his Dad.
    He’s endured a great deal of tragedy in his life and now has to live under a great deal of scrutiny and the assumption that whatever career he pursues and whatever success he enjoys and indeed the clothes in his back are owed to his father’s position.
    Yes, he has suffered tragedy, but that doesn't give him a blank check and I can only call him on what I perceive as graft.

  7. Top | #27
    Elder Contributor barbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mlky Way galaxy
    Posts
    12,166
    Archived
    8,047
    Total Posts
    20,213
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    The buyer is anonymous, not the seller... DUH.
    And what prevents buyer from stopping being anonymous after?

  8. Top | #28
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    32,633
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    75,106
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    The buyer is anonymous, not the seller... DUH. The buyer obviously knows the artist... the artist does not know the buyer so that there will not be a presumption of "tit for tat"... or the latin version of that.
    The seller being anonymous would keep people from knowing it is the President's son, and there would be no ethical issues. With the buyers being anonymous, they are anonymous until they are in contact with Biden for the quid pro quo. This is dirty. Not too many people bragging about having artwork by the "President's son" at their home.

  9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    12,465
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    16,120
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Generally it isn't. But we aren't really talking about established artists here.
    The name of the artist very much matters as well as their biography, where they studied, and under whom, the subject of the art, the genre, and of course, what someone is willing to pay for any given piece.

    The quality of his work and what the art world —and the market thinks will determine if this is a good career move for Biden.
    Except we go back to the issue of pay for play. That value is extraordinarily more valuable than even the value of famous artwork.
    We none of us actually know him. Fir all we know, he had always wished to pursue art but instead followed the more traditional career paths of law school, lobbying, etc. for which he did not seem much cut out for.
    This is quite possible. The trouble is, this maneuver is following a recognizable pattern of profiting off his Dad.
    He’s endured a great deal of tragedy in his life and now has to live under a great deal of scrutiny and the assumption that whatever career he pursues and whatever success he enjoys and indeed the clothes in his back are owed to his father’s position.
    Yes, he has suffered tragedy, but that doesn't give him a blank check and I can only call him on what I perceive as graft.
    I don't know that I agree at all.

    First of all, as far as all of us know, he painted these paintings on his own. Perhaps in part because he's trying very hard to strike out in a direction different than his father's, to be his own person. If he's painting, then he has the drive inside himself to do this work. He should not sacrifice this because of an accident of birth.

    Pay for play is conjecture. Of course, some people will want to buy his paintings in hopes of getting some access to Biden Sr. Some people will buy his paintings because they want to own something that is somehow connected to Biden Sr. even if they are not seeking to further their business interests by doing so, just as some people will want to own a painting by GW Bush. And not too differently than why some people want to own a Picasso or a Monet or a Klee. Because of the name and not because of the appeal of that particular piece of art. And some people will want to own a Biden because they think that in X number of months or years, it will appreciate in value.

    I mean, what would you have him do? He's clearly not interested in being a lawyer and frankly, being a lawyer isn't very profitable unless one practices law which his father's profession would cast doubts on the motivations of any of Biden Jr.'s clients or employers, for that matter. Lobbying is clearly out. What if he wrote a book? What if it were about growing up as his father's son? I actually am expecting something like that at some point. Is he allowed to write mystery novels? Is he allowed to write children's books? He's an artist so he could illustrate them as well. What if he's simply not a writer?

    What exactly is he allowed to do that would satisfy your concerns that he's profiting off his dad?

    And honestly, when one is part of a family with wealth and power, it is almost impossible to separate out what you earn on your own merits and what you got because your grandpapa was Ambassador to the Court of St. James or a Senator from Tx or whatever. It genuinely is. It works that way on a smaller scale for people of lesser means and power, as well. It's hard. If you go into the same profession as your rich and famous parent, you are assumed to not have earned your place and assumed to have breaks simply because your parent is rich and powerful. And to a certain extent, that will be true. It just is. My kids got a couple of summer jobs because they were friends with the kid of a business person in town. They weren't friends with the kid so they could get a job at his dad's place when they were teens. They were friends with him because we are neighbors and they enjoyed each other's company and were in and out of each other's houses all the time and their dad knew them and was happy to hire them to work alongside his own kid for a few summers because he knew them and trusted them and because it also motivated his son to do a good job working for him. So I suppose that was small town graft? One of my kids was hired at a company because one of his friends worked there and then more of my son's friends were hired because he recommended them. FFS, I got my job because I ran into a friend who told me that her work unit was looking to hire someone and she offered to walk my resume to her boss. I was hired at my previous two jobs because the person doing the hiring either knew me from volunteer work or was impressed by my accomplishments as a volunteer. How is that different than knowing my paid work? In all cases, the person hired was well qualified for the work they were hired to do, and were seen as true assets.

    I doubt that Biden Jr. actively sought to profit from his father's position. I think one could easily say that he was not as aware as he might have been for the potential of being exploited because of the perception that hiring Biden Jr. would provide access to Biden Sr.

  10. Top | #30
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    12,465
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    16,120
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    The buyer is anonymous, not the seller... DUH. The buyer obviously knows the artist... the artist does not know the buyer so that there will not be a presumption of "tit for tat"... or the latin version of that.
    The seller being anonymous would keep people from knowing it is the President's son, and there would be no ethical issues. With the buyers being anonymous, they are anonymous until they are in contact with Biden for the quid pro quo. This is dirty. Not too many people bragging about having artwork by the "President's son" at their home.
    He's not making art prints for the county art fair. He's allowed to pursue a career of his choosing. It is both a boon and a curse to have a famous parent. You're only looking at the boon part and seeing it as an attempt at dishonestly profiting by his father's name. You are not looking at all at the difficulty in seeking out to establish himself separately from his father, or having to navigate, always, the perceptions that his work is only valuable because of his father's name.

    Personally, that's not a burden I would like to live under.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •