Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Great Republican Ideas

1. Top | #101
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Lush Rimjob had a fine time ranting and raving about the phase out of old style filament bulbs. With three hours a day to fill, he could always go to that to rile up the rubes. But since then prices for these hated LED light bulbs has dropped. I just bought a 4 pack of them from Walmart for $10.00. 100 watt equivalent, bright sunlight LED bulbs. Which will out last old style filament bulbs 10 times over.
    We have a total of twelve outdoor floodlights (might have been a mistake to think we needed that many when we built the house). In the first few years the expense was maybe not epic but definitely way more than I expected to spend on bulbs and electricity, and a lot of time changing them (not all accessible from the ground). I replaced most of them as soon as LED outdoor floodlights were a thing and let the incandescent ones burn out... the LEDs were expensive, but much brighter and drew LOTS less juice.
    Being early models, a few burned out. Had to replace them, and that pissed me off. But in the last ... eight or so ... years I haven't had to touch any of them and 7 of them put out plenty of light at negligible running expense.

2. Top | #102
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post

A fair cop...

/more Python humour
    Furthermore, the OP request is for Great Ideas of TODAY'S Republican Party. I keep repeating that... and no ideas show up.
    Today's Republican Party is no less evil than the regime of Pol Pot. And if they get their way, there will be that much bloodshed and more.
    Maybe we should expand the thread and ask the WHY question. WHY are there no good ideas coming from the GOP?

A Trump appointed judge just told university students that they must comply with the schools vaccination policy. Other judges have also. WHY would persons intentionally shove their heads up their own asses? Are they aware of their behavior? Should we consider them impaired? Are their limbic systems in overdrive because of something in the environment, natural selection and all? Should we be ordering them to take psychiatric evaluations, maybe scan their brains for abnormally small prefontal cortices?

WHY has the GOP and conservatives become so stupid? There has to be a physical reason(s) somewhere I would think.

3. Top | #103
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post
    Haven't reviewed the thread in any depth -

But has someone mentioned that Lincoln was the first Republican president? Emancipation Proclamation would seem like a progressive idea.
    I hope you're better than this, WAB.

I am angry at the Israeli government, NOT for tearing down the Walls of Jericho over 3000 years ago, but for the injustices they commit today.

I do NOT credit the present government of Persia/Iran for its move toward liberal democracy in 1951; and certainly not for the enlightened reign of Cyrus the Great.

Crediting the present GOP — VERY VERY obviously BY FAR the more racist of America's two Parties — with the Emancipation is very VERY weird. The only charitable explanation I can come up with is that you, WAB, are unusually ignorant about American politics.
    Egads, Swammi. I was not giving the modern GOP credit for the EP. All I was pointing out is that Lincoln was the first repub POTUS.

No, I am not "unusually ignorant" about anything. How decidedly rude and silly of you!

Now go and clean your room out!*

*Even more Python humor. And this time I'm spelling it the Amerikan way. So sod off all you Brits and Canadians and all you other forinners!
    When one has no character one has to apply a method. - Albert Camus, The Fall

4. Top | #104
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What killed conservatism was libertarianism. Most of the really bad ideas of modern movement conservatism came from libertarianism; the self-regulating free market, free trade, the fear of all forms of collective action - the government for the main one, deregulation, herd immunity to battle a pandemic, etc.

5. Top | #105
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleDon View Post
    What killed conservatism was libertarianism. Most of the really bad ideas of modern movement conservatism came from libertarianism; the self-regulating free market, free trade, the fear of all forms of collective action - the government for the main one, deregulation, herd immunity to battle a pandemic, etc.
    Not all the bad ideas, though. You're forgetting all the terrible ideas that came from the Evangelical takeover of American Christianity and the rise of the religious Right.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

6. Top | #106
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    WHY has the GOP and conservatives become so stupid? There has to be a physical reason(s) somewhere I would think.
    Most people who know a lot more about that than I do, tell me that mouthing the holy trumpist script, Big Lie and all, is a short term necessity for Republican politicians, providing the best (and maybe only) chance to keep their jobs. And some dream of coming to power if the coup succeeds per Trump's plan. But most of them don't really want that to happen and are waiting for Trump to die* so they can start publicly doubting the dogma. The possibility that by the time Trump dies he will have taken the Country with him, is not a thought they really indulge. At least not yet.
    Anyhow, I think that if there is a Great Republican Idea, it is The Big Lie. We shall see how great it really is, and for whom.

* It's hard to see any other way his supporters might give up on his being the "legitimate president".

7. Top | #107
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Maybe we should expand the thread and ask the WHY question. WHY are there no good ideas coming from the GOP?
    They've been whittling their base for decades such that they don't WANT ideas. They want dogwhistles. They want slogans. They want to feel good about themselves without actually examining the steps their lawmakers are taking.

So while some people get up and wonder which tie they'll wear today, the GOP wonders which button to push. Hate? Fear? Fuck the Libs? Lock Her Up? A combination?

8. Top | #108
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    A combination?
    Tie him/her up, and fuck'em?

9. Top | #109
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funinspace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    A combination?
    Tie him/her up, and fuck'em?
    So. Who wants to play Marry/Fuck/Kill? The choices this time:

Gloria MacKenzie (winner of the $590 million Florida Powerball)
    Jennifer Anniston
    The GOP elephant

No. Game over.

10. Top | #110
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post

Upon further research, it was FDR.
    Well, EVD (Eugene Debs) in 1904, but he wasn’t exactly getting the attention of many ears.
    He clearly inspired Bismark, which was a real achievement as Bismark had been dead for seven years in 1905, and was inspired by Debs to introduce a national health scheme in 1883, some twenty one years before his corpse heard of Deb's great idea.

Well, either that, or non-Americans occasionally originate ideas that are later adopted in the USA.