Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When a riot isn't a riot

1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonse View Post

That being said, I'm wondering why they even bothered to pass such a law in Florida. I did not know there were that many Confederate statues there.
    Maybe they plan on erecting some.

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonse View Post

That being said, I'm wondering why they even bothered to pass such a law in Florida. I did not know there were that many Confederate statues there.
    Maybe they plan on erecting some.
    The same "they" who plan to re-inaugurate Trump next month and do away with our representative republic by turning elections into a Russia-style sham?

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm glad they didn't do the stupid thing and show up with riot gear, tear gas, and other bullshit for the Cuban protesters. The DeSantis law (as I like to call it) was a law targeting a specific group, and no law should ever be written for that reason. Full stop.

Edit: Because laws affect everyone.. Duh.

4. Top | #24
    Veteran Member Lumpenproletariat's Avatar
    ^ Why don't I get any pretty jewels? Waaaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Republicans defunded the IRS because if they're broke enough they can only go after poor people. It takes a lot of money to put the squeeze on billionaires' lawyers. The fact that that's where the real money is that is owed to the government but not collected, the fact that there's about a 10:1 return on the big expenditures to hold billionaires accountable - those things don't matter to elected Republicans. Because those uncollected dollars are the SAME DOLLARS that end up in Republican campaign coffers instead of in the US treasury.
    The solution to this is to end all income tax on the lower-end income levels. Like bottom half, or bottom 2/3 to pay no income tax at all, and submit no paperwork other than for SS.

After that, for the upper-income levels, let those who pay it worry about whether it's fair to everyone.

As to the rioting -- whoever riots or loots should be shot, whether Red or Blue.

5. Top | #25
    Contributor
    We had leaderless mob violence for about 6 months in Seattle.

Our mayor kept calling riots peaceful demonstrations.

I watched Ethiopians marching past my building protesting politics back home, and some other African group demanding release of political poisoners back home. They wee peacful.

A riot describes violence and destruction.

Portland had it worse.

6. Top | #26
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpenproletariat View Post
    Republicans defunded the IRS because if they're broke enough they can only go after poor people. It takes a lot of money to put the squeeze on billionaires' lawyers. The fact that that's where the real money is that is owed to the government but not collected, the fact that there's about a 10:1 return on the big expenditures to hold billionaires accountable - those things don't matter to elected Republicans. Because those uncollected dollars are the SAME DOLLARS that end up in Republican campaign coffers instead of in the US treasury.
    The solution to this is to end all income tax on the lower-end income levels. Like bottom half, or bottom 2/3 to pay no income tax at all, and submit no paperwork other than for SS.

After that, for the upper-income levels, let those who pay it worry about whether it's fair to everyone.

As to the rioting -- whoever riots or loots should be shot, whether Red or Blue.
    1) If they don't report how do you know where they are in the income tax range?

2) I dislike it anyway--I'd like to see the minimum tax rate be maybe 1%, nobody paying 0%. Everyone should have skin in the game.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpenproletariat View Post

2) I dislike it anyway--I'd like to see the minimum tax rate be maybe 1%, nobody paying 0%. Everyone should have skin in the game.
    One does not need to pay taxes to have "skin in the game" . One only needs be a citizen, given that "the game" is a functioning government.

8. Top | #28
    Member *
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    We had leaderless mob violence for about 6 months in Seattle.

Our mayor kept calling riots peaceful demonstrations.

I watched Ethiopians marching past my building protesting politics back home, and some other African group demanding release of political poisoners back home. They wee peacful.

A riot describes violence and destruction.

Portland had it worse.
    You know the right wing infiltrates left wing protests and destroys stuff to discredit the protestors?

Just because there is destruction does not mean any protestor did it.

A peaceful protest cannot prevent unethical and violent people from infiltrating and trying to discredit the protest.

9. Top | #29
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

One does not need to pay taxes to have "skin in the game" . One only needs be a citizen, given that "the game" is a functioning government.
    If 2/3 pay no tax there is no reason for them not to vote for ever higher tax rates. Two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.