Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Billionaires Blast off

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Billionaires Blast off

Does anyone else find themselves secretly hoping that one of them explodes?

That’s wrong I know, but what’s the point of these trips? They aren’t advancing science. They’re just going a multi million dollar thrill ride.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We do not know what we might learn esp. concerning construction techniques etc.
    I am young enough to remember that the Apollo program faced the same thoughts.

But up front yes it is a lot of money.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

3. Top | #3
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers! View Post
    We do not know what we might learn esp. concerning construction techniques etc.
    I am young enough to remember that the Apollo program faced the same thoughts.

But up front yes it is a lot of money.
    The Apollo program broke new ground, and pushed the boundaries of the possible.

These billionaires are making short sub-orbital flights that don't even get into space. If you don't cross the Kármán Line - 100km altitude - you aren't in space. If you don't complete at least one unpowered orbit, you didn't make a space flight. The US military have their own definition, but like imperial measurements, nobody else in the world uses it.

What these guys are doing would have been impressive and innovative seventy years ago; But it's neither today. Anything that might have been learned from this was already learned a lifetime ago. Today it's just showing off their wealth in a pathetic display of conspicuous consumption.

4. Top | #4
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post

That’s wrong I know, but what’s the point of these trips? They aren’t advancing science. They’re just going a multi million dollar thrill ride.
    I think it's a good thing we have more players in the launch business. Carrying billionaires to space contributes nothing but it's like the Tesla they threw to the asteroids--the value was in the launch, not the payload.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Bezos is donating $200M to the Smithsonian, so it’s not like he’s only spending his fortune on himself. I don’t understand all the hate for these rocket flights. We don’t know who it will inspire or what technological advancements may come. What should he do, ride around the Mediterranean on a super yacht doing very unsavory things like some other super rich folks who have been in the news lately?

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No. Why would you?

What's wrong with thrill rides? If you go on a tourist trip to the Galapagos or something, you are not advancing science either. It's not like you're going to catalogue previously unknown flora and fauna while there.
    But just because Charles Darwin did it almost 200 years ago, does not mean your trip there would be pointless.

These people have a lot of money. I see nothing wrong in spending it on stuff not affordable to us mere mortals. Bezos' jaunt to the edge of space is no more pointless than his longer-than-football-field yacht.

7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    No. Why would you?

What's wrong with thrill rides? If you go on a tourist trip to the Galapagos or something, you are not advancing science either. It's not like you're going to catalogue previously unknown flora and fauna while there.
    But just because Charles Darwin did it almost 200 years ago, does not mean your trip there would be pointless.

These people have a lot of money. I see nothing wrong in spending it on stuff not affordable to us mere mortals. Bezos' jaunt to the edge of space is no more pointless than his longer-than-football-field yacht.
    I don't agree.

First of all, the impact on the environment must be very significant and I don't think it's justifiable just to massage the egos of a bunch of rich people.

But the other more important thing is that it would be a very, very grave mistake to allow wealthy people to somehow stake a claim to any part of space or space exploration or the intellectual property rights to any discoveries made as part of these missions.

Of course you are way too young to remember the early days of NASA and the beginnings of space exploration but I'm not. Today, the world is filled with products and devices that directly arose from the space program. I don't want Jeff Bezos near any of the next waves of technology and innovation to arise. That belongs, by rights, to the world, not to any individual who has the ego and the pocketbook to grab even more for himself. It's obscene. And dangerous.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Yes, Some people probably find themselves hoping that secretly, and others not so secretly. I'm not in either category. They're using their own money to have some fun (and also it's publicity). You could argue against that on, say, environmental impact grounds, and that would at least get some matter for debate. But you seem to hate them just because it's a multi million dollar thrill ride. What if it is? (though it's actually also for publicity, as they want to sell such thrill rides to other very rich people).

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    Bezos is donating $200M to the Smithsonian, so it’s not like he’s only spending his fortune on himself. I don’t understand all the hate for these rocket flights. We don’t know who it will inspire or what technological advancements may come. What should he do, ride around the Mediterranean on a super yacht doing very unsavory things like some other super rich folks who have been in the news lately?
    They're rich. The hatred is there mostly because so many people believe they stole the money from others and/or that their money belongs to others, they should donate it all, or something like that.

10. Top | #10
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    No, he - like everyone else, shouldn't be super rich at all.

Nobody has done enough in their lives to deserve such wealth. Nobody.

OK, maybe Stanislav Petrov. Maybe. And he never got any wealth in return for his genuinely meritorious actions.

Fuck them all. If you've got, let's say, 500x median income for your nation or more, you should pay 100% tax on all further income. We can hand out a trophy with "You won capitalism" on it or something. Maybe put up a statue of them for the pigeons to crap on. But nobody in the history of the world has done enough with their lives to earn more than $16M in today's dollars.