Thread: Billionaires Blast off

1. Top | #301
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    Does anyone else find themselves secretly hoping that one of them explodes?

That’s wrong I know, but what’s the point of these trips? They aren’t advancing science. They’re just going a multi million dollar thrill ride.
    I don't. This is how technological progress is made.

How much progress is being hindered by most of the country being poorly paid and only a few billionaires making progress for their own ends? There are smart people in all walks of life that could make technological progress if they had the means and the time.
    Actually, our space program has been dramatically underfunded for decades now.

Say what you will about the government but it is much more a meritocracy than Amazon or Tesla or Virgin Airlines...

2. Top | #302
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post

How much progress is being hindered by most of the country being poorly paid and only a few billionaires making progress for their own ends? There are smart people in all walks of life that could make technological progress if they had the means and the time.

Say what you will about the government but it is much more a meritocracy than Amazon or Tesla or Virgin Airlines...
    I'm not talking about just the space program.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

3. Top | #303
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

Somebody constructs the wheels, the struts, the engine, wings, seats, propeller so the 'rich guy' can realize their dream. Where they all working for a fair wage, or the bare minimum?
    Or you could just shut up about that and enjoy the fact that you now have a cell phone thanks to rich idiots like Bezos.
    It's not just the 'rich idiots' that make things happen. They can't do much on their own.

4. Top | #304
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

I'm not talking about just the space program.
    You're right.

5. Top | #305
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Somebody constructs the wheels, the struts, the engine, wings, seats, propeller so the 'rich guy' can realize their dream. Where they all working for a fair wage, or the bare minimum?
    Or you could just shut up about that and enjoy the fact that you now have a cell phone thanks to rich idiots like Bezos.
    Bezos had fuck all to do with my cell phone, thank you very much.

It was more like Steve Jobs and he's dead.

At least keep your oligarchs straight.

And I lived quite nicely without a cell phone for almost all of my life. Pretty sure I could do it again.

6. Top | #306
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Bezos had fuck all to do with my cell phone, thank you very much.

It was more like Steve Jobs and he's dead.

At least keep your oligarchs straight.

And I lived quite nicely without a cell phone for almost all of my life. Pretty sure I could do it again.
    We have cell phones because of government funded research and government launched satellites.

7. Top | #307
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    I see Tesla reported a QUARTERLY profit of $1.2 billion dollars. A couple of things on that, Musk will no doubt be well rewarded for that, seventh straight quarter of profit I believe. Why does the government continue to subsidize the purchase of these overpriced cars with tax credits ?
    That is not a subsidy. A subsidy would be the government giving them money, not the government refraining from taking more of their money. But that aside, the answer would be that...different people in the government have different motivations for the support of the tax credits. Still, some rationales for taxing gas car more than electric cars are:

1. Gas cars pollute more overall. And then you can debate whether that's true, as the pollution of the latter depends greatly on the way electricity is produced.

2. Gas cars are on the way out. It's a good idea not to discourage the development of the technologies that will replace them. Else, transition will be slower and/or China's world influence will increase at the expense of America's.

3. Even if electricity is produced in the wrong way, that's a reason to change the way we produce it, but even then, it's better not to discourage the development of new technologies in America.

8. Top | #308
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I get the impression that some believe that it's only the super rich who make discoveries and get things done, that without them the whole population would sit around and gaze at their navels until everyone starved.

Some folks appear to worship this new class of Royalty. The repackaged Lords and Ladies, Dukes and Duchesses of Society. All bow down to their greatness.

May they have mercy upon us and trickle down their blessings.

9. Top | #309
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Angra Mainyu View Post
    I see Tesla reported a QUARTERLY profit of $1.2 billion dollars. A couple of things on that, Musk will no doubt be well rewarded for that, seventh straight quarter of profit I believe. Why does the government continue to subsidize the purchase of these overpriced cars with tax credits ?
    That is not a subsidy.
    Oh puhlease, it’s a subsidy that goes to rich people so they buy Tesla’s cars at an inflated price and Tesla ultimately makes more profit.

And if you really want rid of ICE cars Tesla should be selling the cars at cost or below.

10. Top | #310
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angra Mainyu View Post
    That is not a subsidy.
    Oh puhlease, it’s a subsidy that goes to rich people so they buy Tesla’s cars at an inflated price and Tesla ultimately makes more profit.

And if you really want rid of ICE cars Tesla should be selling the cars at cost or below.
    No, a subsidy is to give money to people (under some conditions, etc.), not to refrain from taking money from people. But in any case, I provided possible rationales for the people in the government. Musk's motivations are another matter, though I do believe he wants to accelerate the transition from ICE cars to electric cars and has been successful at that. Whether selling Tesla cars at cost would have been more effective is another matter. I do not know. Maybe it would have been. Or maybe the company would have gone broke for failing to anticipate the costs properly, lacking funds for investment, or whatever (at any rate, Musk certainly has other goals, like making rockets and the like, and of course also making more money).