Thread: BrightLine Watch/YouGov Poll On Secession

1. Top | #1
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

BrightLine Watch/YouGov Poll On Secession

http://brightlinewatch.org/still-mil...en-presidency/

Secession

President Biden made it a signature goal to reunite a country scarred by partisan and regional divides. Our surveys seek to assess whether the animus that characterized the Trump era persists. We therefore repeated a question from our January/February 2021 survey asking respondents in our public sample about their support for breaking up the United States. As in last winter’s survey, we asked respondents the following:

“Would you support or oppose [your state] seceding from the United States to join a new union with [list of states in new union]?” 5

Thoughts?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

Secession

President Biden made it a signature goal to reunite a country scarred by partisan and regional divides. Our surveys seek to assess whether the animus that characterized the Trump era persists. We therefore repeated a question from our January/February 2021 survey asking respondents in our public sample about their support for breaking up the United States. As in last winter’s survey, we asked respondents the following:

“Would you support or oppose [your state] seceding from the United States to join a new union with [list of states in new union]?” 5

Thoughts?
    This has needed to happen for some time, as the US is too far-flung and disparate to maintain cohesive government movement.. I can't see the land-locked mountain regions liking that much though.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post

Secession

Thoughts?
    This has needed to happen for some time, as the US is too far-flung and disparate to maintain cohesive government movement.. I can't see the land-locked mountain regions liking that much though.
    I don't think it needs to happen at all. I think this is the result of a citizenry that is not civically educated and decades of hate and fear mongering from right wing media.

If we were willing to insist on educating people on civic matters and democracy and insist on reigning in right wing hate media, this would be a nearly non-existent fringe movement that no one takes seriously or even cares to talk about.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    I can't see the land-locked mountain regions liking that much though.
    i think it's less about being land locked and more about population demographics.
    look at each segment - the approval rating is directly proportional to the prevailing cultural leaning.

IMO a far more effective strategy would be to fine tune representation between highly populated urban areas and more sparse rural areas, which i think would solve a lot more of the issues of governance for disparate interests than just splitting up the country as a whole arbitrarily.

5. Top | #5
    Member *
    Archived
    Total Posts
    But Lincoln?

And the all important union?

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The idea is silly because almost every state is very divided. For example, Georgia is run by Republicans but Georgia voters elected two Democratic Senators. The problem in Georgia is voter apathy during midterm elections. And, now the Republicans who control the state are trying to make it more difficult for those who tend to vote for Democrats to vote, and this will likely lead to more voter apathy.

Dems in NJ brag about being in a blue state, yet not long ago, Chris Christie was the governor of NJ. My Jersey sister votes for Democrats but she told me that she had neighbors that had Trump flags hanging in front of their homes.

When was our extremely diverse nation ever United? I'd say never. It's just that now we have social media and 24/7 news pundits making the divisions more severe or more obvious.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I say let Mississippi and Alabama secede. That would be 4 less republicans in the Senate, much better chance of something actually getting done. Also a good number of brainwashed conservatives and outright facists will move to the new confederacy, improving the chances of good election results in other states.

Also it will be a good experiment (and entertainment) seeing what happens when a country is based on the far-right's ideals. Place bets before the new confederacy has a coup or civil war.

8. Top | #8
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    I say let Mississippi and Alabama secede. That would be 4 less republicans in the Senate, much better chance of something actually getting done. Also a good number of brainwashed conservatives and outright facists will move to the new confederacy, improving the chances of good election results in other states.

Also it will be a good experiment (and entertainment) seeing what happens when a country is based on the far-right's ideals. Place bets before the new confederacy has a coup or civil war.
    They would immediately have to raise taxes or cut services drastically.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post

They would immediately have to raise taxes or cut services drastically.
    Services? Like gubbmint handouts? Not in the land of True Freedumb!! There would be no taxes* either!

*note that fees, duties, and tolls are not considered taxes by them

Now in the land of Freedom go and say your mandatory pledge to the flag of the Conservative Christian Nation.

10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    But Lincoln?

And the all important union?
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

Breaking up the union is unconstitutional. "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;"