Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 121

Thread: I can't tell you if I'm vaccinated. That would violate HIPAA rules.' What an Idiot!

  1. Top | #101
    Member *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    24,504
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    41,057
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    You still don't get it. Biden is free to talk about it. The docs involved aren't free to confirm or deny.

    In another thread you identified yourself as working in a hospital. I'm amazed you haven't had mandatory training on this.
    I obviously know a lot more about this than you.

    If asked, his doctor can say "Yes" Biden had the vaccine.

    "You all saw it."

    You don't know what you're talking about.

    Protected information is different from publicly acknowledged information.

    If somebody famous comes out and says they have cancer their doctors are allowed to confirm it.
    I suggest you talk with your compliance officer.
    My compliance officer has no concerns for the things people freely make public knowledge.

    They are concerned with information in the EMR.

    I cannot talk about things I find in the EMR.

    But if Biden gets his shot in public that is knowledge not gained from the EMR.

  2. Top | #102
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    33,055
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    129,807
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    I suggest you talk with your compliance officer.
    My compliance officer has no concerns for the things people freely make public knowledge.

    They are concerned with information in the EMR.

    I cannot talk about things I find in the EMR.

    But if Biden gets his shot in public that is knowledge not gained from the EMR.
    But the information in the EMR might be different than what you see in public.

  3. Top | #103
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Posts
    2,433
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    I suggest you talk with your compliance officer.
    My compliance officer has no concerns for the things people freely make public knowledge.

    They are concerned with information in the EMR.

    I cannot talk about things I find in the EMR.

    But if Biden gets his shot in public that is knowledge not gained from the EMR.
    But the information in the EMR might be different than what you see in public.
    I don't understand your point here.

    It's possible that Biden faked his vaccination. Seems implausible to me, but not outside the realms of possibilities. But there's no HIPPAA problem with discussing or publicizing your own medical history. You just can't talk about other people's history without permission. It's not that difficult.

    The only plausible explanation for MTG's behavior is lying for political gain. If she truly believes that the vaccination is a bad idea and has refused it, she can say that publicly. It's her own medical history. She could say, "No, I've not been vaccinated. I'm not sure about the safety.", or whatever she wants. But she didn't. She dodged a simple question, referring to a nonexistent policy. She wouldn't say yes, and she wouldn't say no.

    To me, the most plausible explanation for that behavior is that she understands the health benefits of the vaccine and has been vaccinated. But she's beholden to the Trumpista antivaxxers for political power, so she won't be honest about that.

    One of the worst kinds of political hypocrisy, IMHO. But she's demonstrated adeptness at that before. So that's what I think is going on.
    Tom

  4. Top | #104
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,025
    Archived
    17,741
    Total Posts
    28,766
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    But the information in the EMR might be different than what you see in public.
    I don't understand your point here.

    It's possible that Biden faked his vaccination. Seems implausible to me, but not outside the realms of possibilities. But there's no HIPPAA problem with discussing or publicizing your own medical history. You just can't talk about other people's history without permission. It's not that difficult.

    The only plausible explanation for MTG's behavior is lying for political gain. If she truly believes that the vaccination is a bad idea and has refused it, she can say that publicly. It's her own medical history. She could say, "No, I've not been vaccinated. I'm not sure about the safety.", or whatever she wants. But she didn't. She dodged a simple question, referring to a nonexistent policy. She wouldn't say yes, and she wouldn't say no.

    To me, the most plausible explanation for that behavior is that she understands the health benefits of the vaccine and has been vaccinated. But she's beholden to the Trumpista antivaxxers for political power, so she won't be honest about that.

    One of the worst kinds of political hypocrisy, IMHO. But she's demonstrated adeptness at that before. So that's what I think is going on.
    Right. So basically she yelled, "You can't ask that! You're evil!! Help, they're after me! HIPAA! HIPAA!" It's not meant to be a direct quote. It's describing her behavior.

  5. Top | #105
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    21,160
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,660
    Rep Power
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    But the information in the EMR might be different than what you see in public.
    I don't understand your point here.
    Say a rumor starts that Biden did NOT get vaccinated on TV. That it was saline.

    Either because:
    1) It's all a planned epidemic for the purpose of destroying Trump, and the elites had the vaccine three years ago, before the plague was released
    2) The vaccine is still too experimental and he dare not risk it, but he doesn't want the voters to know that
    ...whichever conspiracy theory appeals to one's baser instincts.

    In either case, if you do not trust the public spectacle and the visible record, someone with access to his actual medical information cannot ethically look up the actual date of his actual vaccination and reveal that to the world. Because HIPAA.
    We can all say 'I saw it on TV,' no one can say, 'Well, i looked it up and the fact is ___ (1, 2 or As Public).'

  6. Top | #106
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Posts
    2,433
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    But the information in the EMR might be different than what you see in public.
    I don't understand your point here.
    Say a rumor starts that Biden did NOT get vaccinated on TV. That it was saline.

    Either because:
    1) It's all a planned epidemic for the purpose of destroying Trump, and the elites had the vaccine three years ago, before the plague was released
    2) The vaccine is still too experimental and he dare not risk it, but he doesn't want the voters to know that
    ...whichever conspiracy theory appeals to one's baser instincts.

    In either case, if you do not trust the public spectacle and the visible record, someone with access to his actual medical information cannot ethically look up the actual date of his actual vaccination and reveal that to the world. Because HIPAA.
    We can all say 'I saw it on TV,' no one can say, 'Well, i looked it up and the fact is ___ (1, 2 or As Public).'
    I don't understand your point.

    Yes, it's true that people can make false claims for any reason that they want.

    The OP made one in the thread title. It's been generally defended, read post #104.
    It's not just the Trumpistas who are fine with a false claim as long as your team scores a point.
    Tom

  7. Top | #107
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    21,160
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,660
    Rep Power
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    I don't understand your point.
    HIPAA says people with a professional relationship with your private medical information cannot reveal it.

  8. Top | #108
    Member *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    24,504
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    41,057
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    But the information in the EMR might be different than what you see in public.
    I don't understand your point here.
    Say a rumor starts that Biden did NOT get vaccinated on TV. That it was saline.

    Either because:
    1) It's all a planned epidemic for the purpose of destroying Trump, and the elites had the vaccine three years ago, before the plague was released
    2) The vaccine is still too experimental and he dare not risk it, but he doesn't want the voters to know that
    ...whichever conspiracy theory appeals to one's baser instincts.

    In either case, if you do not trust the public spectacle and the visible record, someone with access to his actual medical information cannot ethically look up the actual date of his actual vaccination and reveal that to the world. Because HIPAA.
    We can all say 'I saw it on TV,' no one can say, 'Well, i looked it up and the fact is ___ (1, 2 or As Public).'
    That is such a bizarre scenario for a simple vaccine.

    I know a lot of crazy people are making it into more than what it is.

  9. Top | #109
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    33,055
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    129,807
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    It's possible that Biden faked his vaccination. Seems implausible to me, but not outside the realms of possibilities.
    Exactly. The people with any access to his medical records can neither confirm nor deny because of this.

    But there's no HIPPAA problem with discussing or publicizing your own medical history. You just can't talk about other people's history without permission. It's not that difficult.
    I never said there was a problem. I'm only saying that just because he talked about it doesn't let his doctors talk about it.

    The only plausible explanation for MTG's behavior is lying for political gain. If she truly believes that the vaccination is a bad idea and has refused it, she can say that publicly. It's her own medical history. She could say, "No, I've not been vaccinated. I'm not sure about the safety.", or whatever she wants. But she didn't. She dodged a simple question, referring to a nonexistent policy. She wouldn't say yes, and she wouldn't say no.
    Probably, but it could also be that she doesn't understand that HIPAA restricts the docs, not the patient. She's stupid enough I'm not willing to rule out stupidity here.

  10. Top | #110
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    33,055
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    129,807
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Say a rumor starts that Biden did NOT get vaccinated on TV. That it was saline.

    Either because:
    1) It's all a planned epidemic for the purpose of destroying Trump, and the elites had the vaccine three years ago, before the plague was released
    2) The vaccine is still too experimental and he dare not risk it, but he doesn't want the voters to know that
    ...whichever conspiracy theory appeals to one's baser instincts.

    In either case, if you do not trust the public spectacle and the visible record, someone with access to his actual medical information cannot ethically look up the actual date of his actual vaccination and reveal that to the world. Because HIPAA.
    We can all say 'I saw it on TV,' no one can say, 'Well, i looked it up and the fact is ___ (1, 2 or As Public).'
    That is such a bizarre scenario for a simple vaccine.

    I know a lot of crazy people are making it into more than what it is.
    Every so often we see a case in the news where it's pretty clear someone is making false medical claims and the other side is staying quiet because of HIPAA. While I see no likelyhood of that being the case here the rules don't care--the people with any access to medical info (which can be as simple as a non-medical employee seeing someone walk in the door) don't talk about it without a written release. Period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •