Thread: Profiling Jesus

1. Top | #1
    Contributor

Profiling Jesus

I am sure boks have been written.

Given the gospels, what kind of personality might we deduce from modern psychology and experience.

I believe it is liey ther was a flesh and blood person, name unknon.

The name Jesus Christ itself is a yag, not an idenity.

I see multiple personalities. The angry manic Jesus upsetting the temple to the pacific passive Sermon on the Mount.

I looked up Aesop's Fabels. Over time a number of stories became called Aesop's Fables even though no direct connection.

I see the gosel Jesus as more of a composite character as the focal point of collections of oral tales.

In modern terms was he delusional? He claimed supernatural powers and being related to a deity.

As such a person he chose to chmnage water to e wine at a wedding. A bit frivolous.

He sad the poor you will always have, but me for a while. A bit self centered and egotistical.

He allegdlty went through torture and crucifixion without resistance. At the end he is said to say why god his father abandoned him at the end.

He complemented eunuchs.

From turn the oter cheek and meek shall inherit the Earth I deduce pacifism. He went to his death willingly.

If yiu are a slave be a good one and a c credit to your master. Not a champion of justice and liberty compared to Gandhi and MLK.

From give to Caesar what is Caesar's and what is god's to god says he was for the Roman-Hebrew status quo not for Hebrew liberation from Roman rule.

2. Top | #2
    A yag?
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    A yag?
    I'm guessing that was a typo. Hopefully, Steve will either correct it or explain what he meant.

I think Jesus was a myth. Perhaps there was a person named Jesus, but the tales written about him, were either greatly exaggerated or made up. I do like the nicer Jesus myth, while some of the other myths about Jesus are pretty nasty. I don't know why people still get so excited about the concept of the blood sacrifice. It seems so primitive. I find it creepy when I see a cross, especially around someone's neck.

Anyway, I have friends who find great value in these myths, and these particular friends never use their Jesus to justify any negative behaviors. So, my attitude is "whatever floats your boat". If it helps you find purpose in life in a positive way, good for you. I think Christians perceive their view of Jesus in ways that work for them.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm guessing "yag" is a typo for "tag".

5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    I'm guessing "yag" is a typo for "tag".
    That makes sense.

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    I have diabetic nephropathy. Glqses don't help much.

With a big screen, magnification, and a spell checker I still miss typos.

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    A yag?
    I'm guessing that was a typo. Hopefully, Steve will either correct it or explain what he meant.

I think Jesus was a myth. Perhaps there was a person named Jesus, but the tales written about him, were either greatly exaggerated or made up. I do like the nicer Jesus myth, while some of the other myths about Jesus are pretty nasty. I don't know why people still get so excited about the concept of the blood sacrifice. It seems so primitive. I find it creepy when I see a cross, especially around someone's neck.

Anyway, I have friends who find great value in these myths, and these particular friends never use their Jesus to justify any negative behaviors. So, my attitude is "whatever floats your boat". If it helps you find purpose in life in a positive way, good for you. I think Christians perceive their view of Jesus in ways that work for them.
    Christians along with Jews and Muslims have a spectrum from liberal to ultra conservative.

Twice I was taking with Christians I knew and they got the spirit, reared up and commanded a conversion on my part. Afterwords one said 'That should have worked'.