Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Sacred Underwear!

  1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    Posts
    4,643
    Archived
    591
    Total Posts
    5,234
    Rep Power
    73
    The undergarments have been styled since their inception -- they were once like union suits, I think, and now you can wear them under jogging clothes and not be conspicuous. The few Mormons I've known (and whom I knew well enough to ask) don't wear them at all. Every faith has these interesting degrees of religiosity. "C'mon, I'm goin' to church some of the time, but I'm not a nutburger!"

  2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    5,568
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    9,430
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Wow! Is the underwear supposed to bring them closer to Christ?
    It's a protective layer, spiritually. It connects them to the Temple, where they earned the right to wear it, to other Mormons who went thru the same rites, and to ancestors who were church members.

    And with the funny underwear beneath your clothes, you won't wear revealing clothes, so it protects you socially, too, just like wearing a pocket protector or a D&D t-shirt.
    You also won't go swimming, a big no-no for the kids on a mission.

    Where i grew up, we only wore them at special church functions. Weddings (yours or a friend's), funerals (yours), maybe your kids' baptism.

    So, hatchings, matchings, and eventual dispatchings.
    How exactly does one obtain the magic underwear?

    The church controls the design and manufacturing process of the garments, and sells them globally at low prices.
    I assume that means that the church sells the underwear. Perhaps our former Mormon can help us out. I'm just quoting the article.

  3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    21,143
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,643
    Rep Power
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I assume that means that the church sells the underwear.
    Yes, they maintain total control over the things. Which is the big complaint, if the design doesn't work for you, you can't go to ZCMI or KMart for a different brand/cut that doesn't chafe for bind.

  4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,402
    Rep Power
    23
    Growing up Catholic I remember people putting little statues of St Christopher on the dashboard or hanging a medallion from the rear window to ward off crashes.

  5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member Tharmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,364
    Archived
    184
    Total Posts
    1,548
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Growing up Catholic I remember people putting little statues of St Christopher on the dashboard or hanging a medallion from the rear window to ward off crashes.
    In high school we used to say "Going ninety isn't scary, long as you got your plastic Mary, on the dashboard."

  6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,402
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Growing up Catholic I remember people putting little statues of St Christopher on the dashboard or hanging a medallion from the rear window to ward off crashes.
    In high school we used to say "Going ninety isn't scary, long as you got your plastic Mary, on the dashboard."
    You can take the kid out of the church but you can't take the church out of the kid....

  7. Top | #17
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    7,852
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    12,891
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Growing up Catholic I remember people putting little statues of St Christopher on the dashboard or hanging a medallion from the rear window to ward off crashes.
    In high school we used to say "Going ninety isn't scary, long as you got your plastic Mary, on the dashboard."
    You can take the kid out of the church but you can't take the church out of the kid....
    We're all a bit superstitious. One's man's magic underwear is another man's plastic Mary.

    None of this would have ever happened if we hadn't dined with the magic snake and become as dumb as god. Does this god have magic undies and plastic Mary on its cosmic helmet?
    Sure seems like.

  8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    Posts
    4,643
    Archived
    591
    Total Posts
    5,234
    Rep Power
    73
    Dunno about the plastic Mary. Most guys who commit date rape don't want souvenirs.

  9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,402
    Rep Power
    23
    It could be wrorse it might have been Zoroaster or Bal worshipers that dominated.

    There is a scene in the Mummy movie remake. A guy wears a bunch of medallions. When confronted by the Mummy he strarts holding them up one by one with different chants hoping one will protect him.

    Baseball players are notoriously superstitious. When they get on a hitting streak they may keep a daily routine exactly that they did at the start of the streak

  10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    5,568
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    9,430
    Rep Power
    85
    I think wearing a cross around one's neck is the creepiest of all these symbols. I guess if you're a believer in prosperity gospel, you wear a diamond studded cross around your neck. It's just creepy to wear a symbol of execution imo.

    Mr. Sohy, who was raised Catholic, just told me that his family had a plastic Jesus in the car. It was probably another way for the church to make money, just like the sacred underwear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •