Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sacred Underwear!

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The undergarments have been styled since their inception -- they were once like union suits, I think, and now you can wear them under jogging clothes and not be conspicuous. The few Mormons I've known (and whom I knew well enough to ask) don't wear them at all. Every faith has these interesting degrees of religiosity. "C'mon, I'm goin' to church some of the time, but I'm not a nutburger!"

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Wow! Is the underwear supposed to bring them closer to Christ?
    It's a protective layer, spiritually. It connects them to the Temple, where they earned the right to wear it, to other Mormons who went thru the same rites, and to ancestors who were church members.

And with the funny underwear beneath your clothes, you won't wear revealing clothes, so it protects you socially, too, just like wearing a pocket protector or a D&D t-shirt.
    You also won't go swimming, a big no-no for the kids on a mission.

Where i grew up, we only wore them at special church functions. Weddings (yours or a friend's), funerals (yours), maybe your kids' baptism.

So, hatchings, matchings, and eventual dispatchings.
    How exactly does one obtain the magic underwear?

The church controls the design and manufacturing process of the garments, and sells them globally at low prices.
    I assume that means that the church sells the underwear. Perhaps our former Mormon can help us out. I'm just quoting the article.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I assume that means that the church sells the underwear.
    Yes, they maintain total control over the things. Which is the big complaint, if the design doesn't work for you, you can't go to ZCMI or KMart for a different brand/cut that doesn't chafe for bind.

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    Growing up Catholic I remember people putting little statues of St Christopher on the dashboard or hanging a medallion from the rear window to ward off crashes.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Growing up Catholic I remember people putting little statues of St Christopher on the dashboard or hanging a medallion from the rear window to ward off crashes.
    In high school we used to say "Going ninety isn't scary, long as you got your plastic Mary, on the dashboard."

6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    In high school we used to say "Going ninety isn't scary, long as you got your plastic Mary, on the dashboard."
    You can take the kid out of the church but you can't take the church out of the kid....

7. Top | #17
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    You can take the kid out of the church but you can't take the church out of the kid....
    We're all a bit superstitious. One's man's magic underwear is another man's plastic Mary.

None of this would have ever happened if we hadn't dined with the magic snake and become as dumb as god. Does this god have magic undies and plastic Mary on its cosmic helmet?
    Sure seems like.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Dunno about the plastic Mary. Most guys who commit date rape don't want souvenirs.

9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    It could be wrorse it might have been Zoroaster or Bal worshipers that dominated.

There is a scene in the Mummy movie remake. A guy wears a bunch of medallions. When confronted by the Mummy he strarts holding them up one by one with different chants hoping one will protect him.

Baseball players are notoriously superstitious. When they get on a hitting streak they may keep a daily routine exactly that they did at the start of the streak

10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think wearing a cross around one's neck is the creepiest of all these symbols. I guess if you're a believer in prosperity gospel, you wear a diamond studded cross around your neck. It's just creepy to wear a symbol of execution imo.

Mr. Sohy, who was raised Catholic, just told me that his family had a plastic Jesus in the car. It was probably another way for the church to make money, just like the sacred underwear.