Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleveland Indians -> Cleveland *drum roll*

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Shoulda been the Cleveland Rocks so they could sing the song at games and go nuts or whatever, but I approve of the name change nonetheless.

People complaining that "Guardians" is stupid baffle me, as "Cleveland Indians" was also stupid, as indeed are most sports team names.
    I looked at NFL team names, and was surprised that about half of them make some degree of sense.

I hope Cleveland uses a raccoon as their logo.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post
    I hope Cleveland uses a raccoon as their logo.
    And the coach can point to the opposing pitcher and say, "I need that guy's arm."

3. Top | #13
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Detroit needs to change the name of the Redwings to the Bears. Then we would have Lions and Tigers and Bears.

Oh my!
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, if they're looking for life forms native to Cleveland, the Cuyahoga River has gizzard shad and hog suckers, either of which sounds like a team to me, especially the hog suckers. (Fans: "We suck! We suck! We suck! USA!!!") And mud puppies sounds kinda cute. On land and in the sky, there's the Public Square pigeon, which spends all day strutting, cooing, and pooping. That strut -- sort of a Foghorn Leghorn hitching movement -- would look so cool if the pitcher did it in his windup.
    But nobody listens to me.

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I thought whatever they picked, I'd hate and I'd just call them the Tribe regardless. Kinda like I never got use to Progressive Field. It's still The Jake. But the Guardians is okay. I always liked The Guardians of Traffic on the Hope Memorial Bridge. Cool Art Deco styling. I do wonder why they didn't opt for an Art Deco style for the new name, instead of that Fred Flintstone font. They should get rid of that ridiculous mascot, Slider. Replace it with a falcon. There are Peregrine Falcon nests on the bridge and on the Terminal Tower. They'll figure it out eventually. I have to slow walk these people. At least they're finally developing the lakefront and making plenty of bike trails like I've been telling them for the past fifteen years.

Attached Images Attached Images

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Thanks for posting that photo. They are awesome examples of Art Deco.