Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Olympics 2021

1. Top | #31
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That isn’t as crazy as it sounds, but he absolutely trashed the field the last 50 m.

Ledecky has had a great Olympics. 800 m tomorrow I think.

Women’s and Men’s all around were very good too.

2. Top | #32
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarion Lathria View Post
    I have a crotchet about the Olympics broadcasts. There are too many commercials. In the women's team foil gold medal, there were so many commercials that all the bouts except the last started with touches already counted because of the commercials. The same is true of rugby and beach volleyball. WTF?

Eldarion Lathria
    Australian sports coverage is generally very wary of allowing advertising to encroach on the action, ever since the massive outcry over the live coverage of the 4th Ashes test at the MCG in December 1982.

With Australia needing 292 to win, the ninth wicket fell at 218 late on the fourth day. The final wicket partnership of Jeff Thomson and Allan Border lasted over two hours, when Thomson was finally caught out from the first ball of an over with four runs still required, to give England a three run victory. His edge to first slip was fended up into the air, only to be taken by Geoff Miller at second slip. Australian TV viewers didn't see this spectacular end to a close fought match, however. Instead they saw an advertisement for Sidchrome Spanners, and returned to the 'action' to see the players already leaving the field.

The 'Sidchrome Spanners Test' is a trauma that still scars the Australian psyche today, and commercial sports broadcasters (particularly Channel 9) are very wary of any possibility of a repetition. The Thomson dismissal ranks alongside the Whitlam dismissal as a key epoch in Australian history.

Perhaps the US broadcasters should consult with their Australian counterparts.

3. Top | #33
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Mixed medley relay??? What kind of chaotic neutral madness is this?

4. Top | #34
    I haven't seen much of the Olympics this year, unfortunately. I have fond memories of the London Olympics in 2012, which was the last time I remember being proud of my country, regardless of the relatively strong outing of 'Team GB' that year.

I keep on seeing the usual bigoted suspects and right-wing commentators complaining bitterly about ' "woke" athletes disrespecting their own country', etc. Though I am not quite sure what exactly they're referring to in the form of statements by athletes or whatever. A (very) right-wing American I know said something along the lines of:

'I don't really care if the USA wins or loses, because our teams are a bunch of whiny woke nitwits who hate our country. They don't deserve to represent the USA or to win'

But again I am not sure what awful event or statement by [insert US athlete here] he's talking about.

5. Top | #35
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post
    I haven't seen much of the Olympics this year, unfortunately. I have fond memories of the London Olympics in 2012, which was the last time I remember being proud of my country, regardless of the relatively strong outing of 'Team GB' that year.

I keep on seeing the usual bigoted suspects and right-wing commentators complaining bitterly about ' "woke" athletes disrespecting their own country', etc. Though I am not quite sure what exactly they're referring to in the form of statements by athletes or whatever. A (very) right-wing American I know said something along the lines of:

'I don't really care if the USA wins or loses, because our teams are a bunch of whiny woke nitwits who hate our country. They don't deserve to represent the USA or to win'

But again I am not sure what awful event or statement by [insert US athlete here] he's talking about.
    My informal review of a range of such utterences suggests that the main problems that nationalists have with athletes is that they are too young, and not bigoted enough.

6. Top | #36
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post

My informal review of a range of such utterences suggests that the main problems that nationalists have with athletes is that they are too young, and not bigoted enough.
    Very likely.

I don't wish to derail an otherwise largely positive thread with bigots though, even if I'm the one who caused it!

7. Top | #37
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarion Lathria View Post
    I have a crotchet about the Olympics broadcasts. There are too many commercials. In the women's team foil gold medal, there were so many commercials that all the bouts except the last started with touches already counted because of the commercials. The same is true of rugby and beach volleyball. WTF?

Eldarion Lathria
    Australian sports coverage is generally very wary of allowing advertising to encroach on the action, ever since the massive outcry over the live coverage of the 4th Ashes test at the MCG in December 1982.

With Australia needing 292 to win, the ninth wicket fell at 218 late on the fourth day. The final wicket partnership of Jeff Thomson and Allan Border lasted over two hours, when Thomson was finally caught out from the first ball of an over with four runs still required, to give England a three run victory. His edge to first slip was fended up into the air, only to be taken by Geoff Miller at second slip. Australian TV viewers didn't see this spectacular end to a close fought match, however. Instead they saw an advertisement for Sidchrome Spanners, and returned to the 'action' to see the players already leaving the field.

The 'Sidchrome Spanners Test' is a trauma that still scars the Australian psyche today, and commercial sports broadcasters (particularly Channel 9) are very wary of any possibility of a repetition. The Thomson dismissal ranks alongside the Whitlam dismissal as a key epoch in Australian history.

Perhaps the US broadcasters should consult with their Australian counterparts.
    NBC streaming content is remarkable and the commercials for the replays and live content is very very reasonable. Watch the Network coverage and good luck remembering what you were watching.

That said, the US equivalent to the Ashes would have been the Heidi incident in ‘68 where the Raiders score two TDs in a blink of an eye, while Americans were instead experiencing the movie of the week, Heidi.

8. Top | #38
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I remember the Heidi game. I was 12, and it may have been the first time I ever thought, “WTF?”

Raiders-Jets games were always wild.

9. Top | #39
    Archived
    Total Posts

10. Top | #40
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well today, err yesterdays, I mean today’s Japan’s yesterday ???? was an incredible day of track and field. High jump, triple jump, 100 m were all packed with good drama.