Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why HRW is untrustworthy

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is a weird thread. Somehow, I can't imagine Loren reading through HRW day after day, looking for a couple of sentences he can use to say, "Look, they're lying!" So, then, where on Earth did this come from? Also, why is it a big deal? Some guy clearly got injured. Then, he gives an account which might not be 100% accurate, but probably is mostly accurate just like all first-hand accounts of events. No explanation of what is wrong...makes me think there was another Internet discussion between other persons who criticized the account and Loren has lifted the quote here expecting the same kind of criticisms. Maybe?

2. Top | #12
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I disagree. I mean, all politicians lie occasionally, but in comparison with her opponent, HRC was a shining beacon of honesty.

Also, there's a typo in the thread title.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    "When there are recognizable words but no one else can make sense of them, they call it 'word salad.' No one ever thinks to call it music." -- Susan Neville

Which is incredibly unfair to salad, never mind pigs...

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

This couldn't have happened. If HRW had competent people they would know it's a fabrication. It's inclusion in their report clearly demonstrates either they don't care if it's true or they aren't competent to recognize it can't be true.
    HRW reported what this person said.

As barbos asked, what exactly are you claiming is impossible?
    Loren's failure to respond clearly demonstrates ... I'm not quite sure what. Maybe he hasn't noticed that others are curious about his conclusion.
    I hope that's it. Because I'd like to know as well.

5. Top | #15
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    What exactly couldn't have happened?
    Because Hollywood movies teach us that only good guys survive explosions, and Palestinians can't be good guys?
    No, but it is a Hollywood scene.

The blast force to kill is less than the blast force to throw you through the air.

6. Top | #16
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Because Hollywood movies teach us that only good guys survive explosions, and Palestinians can't be good guys?

The blast force to kill is less than the blast force to throw you through the air.
    These are not fixed quantities. A blast can easily kill only some of a group of people. People frequently survive overpressures that are fatal to others. Blast overpressure injuries are some of the least predictable events out there, and depend on a vast number of variables including (but not limited to) the orientation of victims relative to the explosion; reflected blast wave interference; whether victims have their mouths open or closed; and the victim's body type and muscle to fat ratio. And all of that is before considering impact injuries.

The probability of surviving a blast that knocks you over is low, but certainly not zero.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts

I did not think about that . But I think it's was just a figure of speech. It probably knocked him over instead of literally throwing over the air.

8. Top | #18
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Palestinians live in squalor.
    Some. But many live middle class lives or better.
    Gaza for example is not just the phony "refugee" camps you see on the news.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts

As Bilby already noted, this is not necessarily true. There is also the possibility that you misunderstood what the boy was saying when he said "Something hit me in the eye, the abdomen, and legs. I flew into the air and landed on the ground." I initially interpreted this as him describing being hit by the shock wave with enough force to propel him through the air, but there is also the possibility that he meant that he was struck by physical objects from the blast that knocked him off his feet. There is also the very real possibility that he was not speaking English, or at the very least English is not his first language, and therefor some meaning may have been lost in translation.

Of course, that is all speculation, but you won't have to look far to find accounts from military personnel providing verifiable accounts of having survived shockwave blasts from explosions like this one:

https://www.scienceabc.com/innovatio...he-target.html

Quote Originally Posted by Linked article
    A World War 2 veteran who took part in the D-Day assault on Omaha beach in 1944 survived after a grenade exploded a few feet away from him. He later said in an interview that while he was not hit by the shrapnel of the grenade, he was flung into the air by an ‘invisible wave’, which felt as though he had been “hit in the head with a baseball bat”.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Weren't there a lot of explosion shockwave survivors in WWI?