Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The horrible horrible world of sports

1. Top | #111
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Somebody who never fucks up, who always says the right thing, IMHO they aren't really participating in the world. They're self censoring themselves out of existence.
    I can see your point when applied to getting out of your comfort zone, trying new things, meeting new people, going new places, observing new things.

But saying racist shit as a requirement to be your authentic self? That doesn’t compute.
    Well, it does make it easier on the rest of us when the racists don’t try to hide their racist rhetoric.

2. Top | #112
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Somebody who never fucks up, who always says the right thing, IMHO they aren't really participating in the world. They're self censoring themselves out of existence.
    I can see your point when applied to getting out of your comfort zone, trying new things, meeting new people, going new places, observing new things.

But saying racist shit as a requirement to be your authentic self? That doesn’t compute.
    It does, you just go in the wrong direction. Ideas to results. You gotta stsrt with the results.

People see Dr. Z as a racist, or at least possessing racist tendencies.
    Dr. Z does not wish to be called a racist.
    Dr. Z says racist things from time to time.
    Dr. Z need a reason this is laudable, not lamentable.
    People who use racist terms are therefore the more honest people.
    People who manage to self-censor are self-limiting.

I was raised Mormon in a small town. You said, "Damn!" Or "Shit!" and Mom knew before you got home. Two weeks into bootcamp, i used "fuck" as punctuation. I don't swear THAT badly anymore, but i have spent a lot of time considering words i use to convey intensity, anger, disappointment, pain, and on and on. I use every swear i know of.
    Except certain words that are derogatory against a race or gender.
    It's a choice. I really cannot see that i live life any less for not using words on the left side of my vocab. So, you know, fuck that idea.

3. Top | #113
    Archived
    Total Posts

The racism isn't required to be your authentic self.

I have a friend today who is a fancy academic who gives talks on feminism and is a hero among progressives. He used to be a neo-Nazi. Lucky for him he was a Nazi before social media.

4. Top | #114
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post

It does, you just go in the wrong direction. Ideas to results. You gotta stsrt with the results.

People see Dr. Z as a racist, or at least possessing racist tendencies.
    Dr. Z does not wish to be called a racist.
    Dr. Z says racist things from time to time.
    Dr. Z need a reason this is laudable, not lamentable.
    People who use racist terms are therefore the more honest people.
    People who manage to self-censor are self-limiting.

I was raised Mormon in a small town. You said, "Damn!" Or "Shit!" and Mom knew before you got home. Two weeks into bootcamp, i used "fuck" as punctuation. I don't swear THAT badly anymore, but i have spent a lot of time considering words i use to convey intensity, anger, disappointment, pain, and on and on. I use every swear i know of.
    Except certain words that are derogatory against a race or gender.
    It's a choice. I really cannot see that i live life any less for not using words on the left side of my vocab. So, you know, fuck that idea.
    Exactly. Excellent point. We all need to find our way in the world, and experiment. And be given a chance to learn from our mistakes.

5. Top | #115
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

The racism isn't required to be your authentic self.

I have a friend today who is a fancy academic who gives talks on feminism and is a hero among progressives. He used to be a neo-Nazi. Lucky for him he was a Nazi before social media.
    If racism isn't required to be your authentic self, why be racist? Why say racist things?

Also: you know a fancy academic????? I know lots of academics but not one who is fancy.

6. Top | #116
    Contributor
    The offense archeologists have been hard at work again;

Peterborough striker Jonson Clarke-Harris has been banned for four games over historic social media posts featuring homophobic comments. The posts date from late 2012 and early 2013, when Clarke-Harris was 18 and establishing himself with loan moves from Posh to Southend and Bury. Clarke-Harris, now 27, has also been fined more than £5,000 and is required to complete a face-to-face education program the Football Association has announced.
    DailyMail

Jonson was 18 years old when he made the posts, whatever they were. What kind of sick fuck goes trawling social media looking for this type of thing?

And the FA want to look so woke. They look like idiots.