Thread: The horrible horrible world of sports

1. Top | #31
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    It was a rhetorical question.
    Oh, you are talking about goalposts.
    Why would anyone care what an athlete thinks about anything? It's retarded.
    Whether you think it is "retarded" or not, clearly people care what athletes think. Some of them even went as far as shitting their pants when a number of athletes kneeled.

2. Top | #32
    I think it's absurd that we're demanding sports professionals to have gender and racial sensibilities that require a university degree to master.
    Why would it take a Master's Degree to remember not to use sexist and racial slurs at work? You want professional pay, learn to be a fucking professional. There's no reason a person in a position of well-copmpensated authority should need to go around insulting colleagues and employees in the first place, let alone using profanity and ethnic slurs to do so. I do have a Master's degree, but I don't recall ever taking a class on "not calling people names"; that was always taken as a given. If someone can't handle that most obvious of rules, I've no problem at all with their position being opened up for someone with a lick of common sense.

Are you honestly claiming that when you call someone "retarded" as you did earlier in this thread, that you have no idea this is a slur since you never got a Master's Degree in psychology? Is that, concretely, what you are claiming about your own IQ, that you are too witless to understand when you are insulting someone unless it has been slowly spelled out to you by a professor somewhere? I am not insulting your actual intelligence, merely questioning the wisdom what I believe to be a purely rhetorical tactic of feigning stupidity. I think that you are, in fact, smart enough to know that calling someone a retard while the cameras are rolling is a bad idea, and not because of the contents of your bank account of any degree you might hold. So no, I do not think it would be "elitist" to fire you for something any adult should have the common sense not to do.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

3. Top | #33
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funinspace View Post
    But it is not just sports. Endorsements and advertising is about image, idolization, and wanting to be like that star athlete. Up to a point athletes can still be assholes, they just won't be able to milk the endorsement gravy train...
    No, it's just sports. Even if you idolise an athlete, it's not their brain or their thoughts you idolise
    Yeah, it's more than just sports. Otherwise endorsements wouldn't exist. Personally I don't care about watching organized sports. Maybe all YOU get out of sports is 'the best of the best', but clearly the EWE are enamored by image and general idolizing.

4. Top | #34
    Contributor
    It's funny how many sports officials keep getting deposed over racist and sexist remarks. It's not slowing down. People with well paying jobs, they worked all their lives to get, talk like this all the time as if it's completely normal. Which it obviously is. Then get fired.
    I don’t know how often this actually happens, doesn’t seem very often. I can’t recall anything recent but may have missed it. Is there something specific you have in mind ? But in general, public figures, even sports figures need to mind their language. They can’t be dropping “n” bombs left and right. But I somewhat agree that the reaction can be over the top when someone says something off color and the Twitterati mob get mobilized to get them canceled.

I did see a headline about a German coach trying to motivate the German Olympic cycling team to “catch up with the camel herders” when referring to the Algerian cyclists in front. He probably got into a bit of bother for that.

5. Top | #35
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    It's funny how many sports officials keep getting deposed over racist and sexist remarks. It's not slowing down. People with well paying jobs, they worked all their lives to get, talk like this all the time as if it's completely normal. Which it obviously is. Then get fired.
    I don’t know how often this actually happens, doesn’t seem very often. I can’t recall anything recent but may have missed it. Is there something specific you have in mind ? But in general, public figures, even sports figures need to mind their language. They can’t be dropping “n” bombs left and right. But I somewhat agree that the reaction can be over the top when someone says something off color and the Twitterati mob get mobilized to get them canceled.

I did see a headline about a German coach trying to motivate the German Olympic cycling team to “catch up with the camel herders” when referring to the Algerian cyclists in front. He probably got into a bit of bother for that.
    One would hope that he would get into a bit of bother.

Seriously. I've worked a lot of different jobs, including ones that all one needed to do is to be able to tell which part of a corn plant was the tassel and yank it off, along with a bunch of kids, all white, in a pretty non-PC area and time and nowhere was it EVER ok to use racial epithets. Not EVER. FFS, my dad was a class A bigot; my father's stepfather was in the KKK and definitely not above using the N word but woe would have been to me if I ever did. As a little child, I knew it wasn't acceptable even though I heard it from adults in my life occaisonally. In the rural mid-West. In the 60's. Even more so when we traveled down south. It just ain't that hard.

6. Top | #36
    Contributor
    Here’s an old example (2012) of how over the top the reaction can be when a sportsman makes a flippant remark ;

Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand has been found guilty of improper conduct and fined £45,000 by the Football Association for comments on Twitter. An independent commission concluded Ferdinand's response to a tweet describing Chelsea's Ashley Cole as a "choc ice" did not make him a racist.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/18847477

7. Top | #37
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here’s an old example (2012) of how over the top the reaction can be when a sportsman makes a flippant remark ;

Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand has been found guilty of improper conduct and fined £45,000 by the Football Association for comments on Twitter. An independent commission concluded Ferdinand's response to a tweet describing Chelsea's Ashley Cole as a "choc ice" did not make him a racist.
    Sure. Non racist people can say racist things.

I don't think it's a crime to be a racist nor do I think that being a racist should be a crime.

I don't think that thinking, writing or saying (or tweeting) racist things should be illegal.

I don't have a problem with people writing or saying or tweeting racist things facing consequences.

8. Top | #38
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Also from the article you linked:

But it was ruled the centre-half had brought the game into disrepute.

"The commission found that the breach included a reference to ethnic origin, colour or race," read an FA statement.

Ferdinand was also warned as to his future conduct. Manchester United have decided not to appeal against the decision.

The United defender tweeted: "I hear you fella! Choc ice is classic hahahahahaha!!" in response to a message from @carltonEbanks which stated: "Looks like Ashley Cole's going to be their choc ice. Then again he's always been a sell out. Shame on him."

The term relates to the black and white nature of a choc ice and can imply someone is being black on the outside and white on the inside.

The tweet appeared on Ferdinand's timeline after Chelsea and England left-back Cole appeared in court as a defence witness for team-mate John Terry, who was cleared of racially abusing Ferdinand's younger brother, Anton, in a game against QPR on 23 October last year.

9. Top | #39
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post

Sure. Non racist people can say racist things.

I don't think it's a crime to be a racist nor do I think that being a racist should be a crime.

I don't think that thinking, writing or saying (or tweeting) racist things should be illegal.

I don't have a problem with people writing or saying or tweeting racist things facing consequences.
    Of course you don’t.

10. Top | #40
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This thread: "I wish people weren't so touchy about racism and sexism."