Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: The horrible horrible world of sports

1. Top | #131
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    "Reasonable" opinions. Shifting goalposts inside your own post?

So, you are pro-gay and pro-normalization of anti-gay propaganda that helps lead to criminalization of homosexuality in say Africa?.
    I disagree that anti-gay propaganda alone leads to the criminalisation of homosexuality. The problem with intolerance is that its the product of fear. Fear of what freely thinking people do. So unwanted opinions are suppressed and free public debate is made impossible. The result will always be stupidity. Sure, its nice for the gays if the intolerant oppressors belong to the gay friendly side. But people won't know why they should support gay rights. There's no resilience in the society to stop other idiotic ideas. It's anti-intellectualism
    I am once again in awe of your expertise in stupidity and anti-intellectualism.

2. Top | #132
    Might be a replicant Emily Lake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Raiders head coach falls on his sword after some iffy emails are uncovered;

Jon Gruden has resigned as coach of the Las Vegas Raiders after his emails leak revealing his sexist comments about women referees, his homophobic comments about the drafting of a gay player and racist comments. He stepped down after The New York Times reported that Gruden frequently used misogynistic and homophobic language directed at Commissioner Roger Goodell and others in the NFL.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ching-out.html
    I find it rather amusing that Dr. Dre, Eminem, Snoop Dogg and others with their plethora of sexist, misogynistic, racist, homophobic and violence-inspiring song lyrics will be performing at the 2022 NFL Super Bowl. Has anyone suggested that these performers be fired for their lyrics' content? What Gruden said (in private emails) seems pretty sparse and tame compared to what these performers have said quite openly for decades now. Go figure.
    Yeah, that leaves me confused too.

3. Top | #133
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    "Reasonable" opinions. Shifting goalposts inside your own post?

So, you are pro-gay and pro-normalization of anti-gay propaganda that helps lead to criminalization of homosexuality in say Africa?.
    I disagree that anti-gay propaganda alone leads to the criminalisation of homosexuality. The problem with intolerance is that its the product of fear. Fear of what freely thinking people do. So unwanted opinions are suppressed and free public debate is made impossible. The result will always be stupidity.
    Okay, so the criminalization of homosexuality was allowed through propaganda, but if we stand in the way of the propaganda, that leads to stupidity.

Sure, its nice for the gays if the intolerant oppressors belong to the gay friendly side. But people won't know why they should support gay rights.
    What the heck are gay rights? That'd be equal rights.

4. Top | #134
    Suspended by Member Request
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Lake View Post

I find it rather amusing that Dr. Dre, Eminem, Snoop Dogg and others with their plethora of sexist, misogynistic, racist, homophobic and violence-inspiring song lyrics will be performing at the 2022 NFL Super Bowl. Has anyone suggested that these performers be fired for their lyrics' content? What Gruden said (in private emails) seems pretty sparse and tame compared to what these performers have said quite openly for decades now. Go figure.
    I once bought an Eminem album to placate a friend of mine who claimed I dislike Eminem because I did not have enough patience (or brains, methinks) to fully appreciate his music. I listened closely to the whole thing - as disgusting as it was. Musically simple and lyrically impressive at certain points, especially his brilliant timing and sense of meter, but content-wise, mostly just boring, repetitive to the point of nausea, and often revolting and just plain stupid.
    When one has no character one has to apply a method. - Albert Camus, The Fall

5. Top | #135
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post

I once bought an Eminem album to placate a friend of mine who claimed I dislike Eminem because I did not have enough patience (or brains, methinks) to fully appreciate his music. I listened closely to the whole thing - as disgusting as it was. Musically simple and lyrically impressive at certain points, especially his brilliant timing and sense of meter, but content-wise, mostly just boring, repetitive to the point of nausea, and often revolting and just plain stupid.

Not exactly Eminem but close enough. Of course, totally beggars the question of why there is a market for this genre....
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Top | #136
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post

Pretty much exactly that. I admire his timing and his poetry, and there are a few songs that I liked for the message and story-telling, but the content was often really a turn off.

7. Top | #137
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Okay, so the criminalization of homosexuality was allowed through propaganda, but if we stand in the way of the propaganda, that leads to stupidity.
    I don't think that's how it works. I think it's just xenophobia Once freedom of expression is suppressed it all becomes warped and weird. Everyone lives a lie.

Sure, its nice for the gays if the intolerant oppressors belong to the gay friendly side. But people won't know why they should support gay rights.
    What the heck are gay rights? That'd be equal rights.
    Yes, that is gay rights. Which for some bizarre reason is something gays have had to fight for.

But we still don't have fully equal rights for all the weirdos. Polygamy is still suppressed for Biblical reasons that I have no idea why we still respect

8. Top | #138
    But we still don't have fully equal rights for all the weirdos. Polygamy is still suppressed for Biblical reasons that I have no idea why we still respect
    Islamaphobia and anti-Mormon propoganda.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

9. Top | #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Meh. I don't think it's that so much as a pretty substantial Christian influence overall. I also think the government as a whole doesn't want to grant the tax benefits of marriage to larger groupings, purely for financial reasons. It would also really complicate divorce and inheritance law. If a wealthy women has five husbands, and she dies... who is the closest relative by default? Would a polygamandrous marriage be required to keep explicit wills defining every detail? What happens when a quadruple has four earners of varying levels of income, and one of them divorces the other - who pays p/alimony?

I don't have any problems at all about polyamory. To be quite honest, it would be lovely to have a housespouse who is a good cook and likes to clean! It's the legal and legislative repercussions that get complicated when I start thinking about it.

10. Top | #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Meh. I don't think it's that so much as a pretty substantial Christian influence overall. I also think the government as a whole doesn't want to grant the tax benefits of marriage to larger groupings, purely for financial reasons. It would also really complicate divorce and inheritance law. If a wealthy women has five husbands, and she dies... who is the closest relative by default? Would a polygamandrous marriage be required to keep explicit wills defining every detail? What happens when a quadruple has four earners of varying levels of income, and one of them divorces the other - who pays p/alimony?

I don't have any problems at all about polyamory. To be quite honest, it would be lovely to have a housespouse who is a good cook and likes to clean! It's the legal and legislative repercussions that get complicated when I start thinking about it.
    That must be why countries that haven't outlawed polygamy are just completely baffled as to how to legislate it.

"Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."