Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Republicans in Georgia already moving to take over next election!

  1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    5,571
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    9,433
    Rep Power
    85

    Republicans in Georgia already moving to take over next election!

    As many, if not most of you know, the Republican led Georgia congress passed some laws earlier this year that appear to be attempts to suppress the vote in areas that are heavily populated by Democrats. But, worse than that, they included in these laws, the right for the party in power to take over the elections in areas that they think elections aren't being done correctly. Now, with the midterm election a little over a year away, they are working towards possibly taking over the election in Fulton County, Georgia's most populated and most Democratic leaning county. It includes the city of Atlanta for those not familiar with Georgia.

    https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...MLPRCAFJE7HAM/

    Georgia Republicans have taken the first step on their freshly blazed path toward a possible takeover of Fulton County’s elections.


    A letter obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution shows two dozen state senators support a performance review of Fulton elections chief Richard Barron. The letter was written Tuesday, the very same day a front-page AJC story examined the prospect of a takeover of elections in Fulton, home to a tenth of all Georgians.

    “We’re asking them to simply correct a record they say is easily corrected. Is it or isn’t it? The people of Georgia deserve answers,” wrote Republican Senate President Pro Tem Butch Miller, who signed the letter.

    Are they pretending once again that the last election was stolen from the Republicans? Considering the high turnout in Fulton and considering that Fulton has always been heavily Democratic, that seems like either a lie or a delusion.

    “I support and will be calling for a performance review of the Fulton County Elections Board Director because of repeated and systemic elections process failures,” House Speaker Pro-Tempore Jan Jones, a Milton Republican, wrote in an email. “This includes an investigation and evaluation of his technical competency and compliance with state law and regulation.”

    From Rep. Chuck Martin, a Republican representing the Alpharetta area: “I want to see and will be requesting a full process review of the Fulton County Elections Operations because all the people of Fulton County and the State of Georgia deserve answers ... Let’s work together, get this review moving and get to the truth; the people deserve the truth.”
    The areas that the two Reps come from tend to be affluent White dominated parts of the county. Who is this "we"? Shouldn't both parties be participating if there is a problem? I see no mention of that. It's only a group of Republicans that are eager to do this.

    Fulton Commission Chairman Robb Pitts said a takeover is really a GOP attempt to wrest control of the U.S. Senate from Democrats and retain the governorship in 2022, with eyes toward 2024.

    “It’s been rhetoric until this point. This letter is the first official step in the process,” he said.

    Pitts said he intends to form a plan with his staff, including the county attorney, Thursday.
    I have no doubt that this is the plan. I don't trust the Republicans in power in Georgia. They know they can't win unless they use tactics like voter suppression etc. to maintain their power. They also know that Fulton country voters gave several wins to the Democrats in the last election, so I feel that this is a devious plan.


    Fulton County delivered key wins for the Democratic party during the 2020 election cycle, but they also were embarrassed by a disastrous June primary. Though this is nothing new for a county with a history of poor performance in elections, multiple recounts have reaffirmed the results despite unfounded conspiracy theories about Fulton’s elections management swirling online.
    So, even if running the election had some bumps, several recounts proved that the election results were accurate. I can see having someone offer help and suggestions for having a smoother election, but a take over by the party in power doesn't seem to equate with a democratic process. Plus, we had new voting machines in the last election and there were problems related to learning and making sure the technical aspects were properly handled.

    What is the chance that the courts will overturn this law that allows the party in power to take over a local election?

    Should it be legal to do this? If so, why?

    Even if there is evidence of a county not always having the best run election, does that mean that the outcome was wrong? There were a lot of technical problems in my country, but the Republicans won here. Why aren't they concerned about how my country ran its election?

    Shouldn't any take over be done by a bipartisan group, if such a thing is really necessary?

    Will such tactics be attempted in other parts of the country? Considering that currently, more states are governed by Republicans, if such tactics are permitted, how will such a take over be perceived by the majority of people?

    I hope the courts will throw this out, but considering the most recent decision by SCOTUS, related to elections, I have my doubts.

    And yet, I'm quite appalled at what appears to be another attempt to make our elections unfair as the state turns more Blue.

    For those who are Americans living in other states, has your state considered anything like this?

    And, if you are an honest conservative, do you support this or would you support this if the situation were reversed and the Democrats in power were taking over an election in a large Republican county?

    Finally, for those of you who live in other Democratic, Westernized countries, who runs your elections? Are they done by each county or district? I'm ignorant about how other countries handle such things, so fill me in.

  2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    32,649
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    75,122
    Rep Power
    100
    The proper response from the guy is this.

    I welcome the Republican effort to review the election in Fulton County and help correct issues that have plagued our elections such as underfunding from the state to provide equal access to the ballot for 10% of the entire state's population. Based on the success of wider access to mail-in ballots and turnout for our county, I can only assume the Republicans will back track on that issue as well to ensure all people in Fulton County that have the right to vote, have the ability to vote as any other Georgian, including the right to not have to wait for hours in line.

  3. Top | #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Ohio, U.S.
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    The proper response from the guy is this.

    I welcome the Republican effort to review the election in Fulton County and help correct issues that have plagued our elections such as underfunding from the state to provide equal access to the ballot for 10% of the entire state's population. Based on the success of wider access to mail-in ballots and turnout for our county, I can only assume the Republicans will back track on that issue as well to ensure all people in Fulton County that have the right to vote, have the ability to vote as any other Georgian, including the right to not have to wait for hours in line.
    ...and the right to be handed a water bottle in that line, without looking over your shoulder for the po-po.

  4. Top | #4
    Squadron Leader
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    1,743
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    The proper response from the guy is this.

    I welcome the Republican effort to review the election in Fulton County and help correct issues that have plagued our elections such as underfunding from the state to provide equal access to the ballot for 10% of the entire state's population. Based on the success of wider access to mail-in ballots and turnout for our county, I can only assume the Republicans will back track on that issue as well to ensure all people in Fulton County that have the right to vote, have the ability to vote as any other Georgian, including the right to not have to wait for hours in line.
    You assume that Republicans are capable of feeling shame?

    If Manchin and Sinema continue to support the fascist agenda by refusing to pass H.R.1, then I think President Biden should declare that Georgia is in rebellion, and send federal troops and U.S. marshals to run all elections in that state.

  5. Top | #5
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    17,548
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    18,255
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Are they pretending once again that the last election was stolen from the Republicans?
    I don't think that charade ever stopped, did it?

  6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    5,571
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    9,433
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Are they pretending once again that the last election was stolen from the Republicans?
    I don't think that charade ever stopped, did it?
    It depends on which Republicans you ask. Our SOS never said the election was stolen, but he is concerned ( yeah right ) that we must make the election process have more integrity. ( Sure. Whatever you say bro. wink wink nod nod ) These things always remind me of old soul or jazz song lines. This time it's "There is no way that this can have a happy ending." ( No silly, not that type of happy ending. )

  7. Top | #7
    Member *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    24,504
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    41,057
    Rep Power
    0
    Republicans have moved to trying to suppress voting as a way to win because their "ideas" won't do it.

    They really have no ideas.

    Just lies and fear mongering and appeals to wedge issues like abortion.

    And trying to capture some of that Trump magic.

    I hate to let them in on something but Trump beat Hillary, a very unpopular candidate, except by establishment Democrats, who was demonized for decades.

    That is all he did. Beat a bad candidate.

    He has no magic. His claims to having some are just lies, like he knows more about COVID than the doctors.

  8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    6,478
    Archived
    2,911
    Total Posts
    9,389
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Republicans have moved to trying to suppress voting as a way to win because their "ideas" won't do it.

    They really have no ideas.

    Just lies and fear mongering and appeals to wedge issues like abortion.

    And trying to capture some of that Trump magic.

    I hate to let them in on something but Trump beat Hillary, a very unpopular candidate, except by establishment Democrats, who was demonized for decades.

    That is all he did. Beat a bad candidate.

    He has no magic. His claims to having some are just lies, like he knows more about COVID than the doctors.
    I find it interesting. The Jan6 insurrection was a double-fold weapon. By using the insurrection over election lies, they can harden themselves against insurrection for election truth. I can't say I wouldn't feel quite a bit like storming a statehouse myself in the evidence of clear election stealing and the failure of democracy.

    And it's not like this is fake. It's quite clearly real.

  9. Top | #9
    Member *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    24,504
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    41,057
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Republicans have moved to trying to suppress voting as a way to win because their "ideas" won't do it.

    They really have no ideas.

    Just lies and fear mongering and appeals to wedge issues like abortion.

    And trying to capture some of that Trump magic.

    I hate to let them in on something but Trump beat Hillary, a very unpopular candidate, except by establishment Democrats, who was demonized for decades.

    That is all he did. Beat a bad candidate.

    He has no magic. His claims to having some are just lies, like he knows more about COVID than the doctors.
    I find it interesting. The Jan6 insurrection was a double-fold weapon. By using the insurrection over election lies, they can harden themselves against insurrection for election truth. I can't say I wouldn't feel quite a bit like storming a statehouse myself in the evidence of clear election stealing and the failure of democracy.

    And it's not like this is fake. It's quite clearly real.
    At this point Jan 6th will always be a question.

    What might have happened had that crowd actually caught somebody?

    Those with power in the US are not going to just let some black people voting take that power from them.

  10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    6,478
    Archived
    2,911
    Total Posts
    9,389
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Republicans have moved to trying to suppress voting as a way to win because their "ideas" won't do it.

    They really have no ideas.

    Just lies and fear mongering and appeals to wedge issues like abortion.

    And trying to capture some of that Trump magic.

    I hate to let them in on something but Trump beat Hillary, a very unpopular candidate, except by establishment Democrats, who was demonized for decades.

    That is all he did. Beat a bad candidate.

    He has no magic. His claims to having some are just lies, like he knows more about COVID than the doctors.
    I find it interesting. The Jan6 insurrection was a double-fold weapon. By using the insurrection over election lies, they can harden themselves against insurrection for election truth. I can't say I wouldn't feel quite a bit like storming a statehouse myself in the evidence of clear election stealing and the failure of democracy.

    And it's not like this is fake. It's quite clearly real.
    At this point Jan 6th will always be a question.

    What might have happened had that crowd actually caught somebody?

    Those with power in the US are not going to just let some black people voting take that power from them.
    True. It just felt like an innoculation not against a disease, but against a desired transplant so as to guarantee the disease kills the native organ and thus the host.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •