Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Collective Guilt

1. Top | #91
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post
    Blah, this whole notion of guilt has nothing to do with the reality that many people (white or black) work for companies today that benefited from the slave trade. How much of a benefit is hard to determine but they profited nonetheless. So in a scenario where a company's benefit from the slave trade was key to their survival as a company well into the future, I'd think it's reasonable for said Company to acknowledge this and make an effort (financially or not) to assist in cleaning up the aftermath. Whether the current employees/owners were alive when it happened doesn't matter. There is no law forcing any company to do so, there is just nothing morally wrong with any company that does. Guilt debators can eat shit for all I care.

That's my take,
    What companies? Maybe Lehman Brothers, which accepted slave produced cotton for payment. But it went belly up in 2008. Would think nearly every major US company post-dates the Civil War.

2. Top | #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post
    Blah, this whole notion of guilt has nothing to do with the reality that many people (white or black) work for companies today that benefited from the slave trade. How much of a benefit is hard to determine but they profited nonetheless. So in a scenario where a company's benefit from the slave trade was key to their survival as a company well into the future, I'd think it's reasonable for said Company to acknowledge this and make an effort (financially or not) to assist in cleaning up the aftermath. Whether the current employees/owners were alive when it happened doesn't matter. There is no law forcing any company to do so, there is just nothing morally wrong with any company that does. Guilt debators can eat shit for all I care.

That's my take,
    What companies? Maybe Lehman Brothers, which accepted slave produced cotton for payment. But it went belly up in 2008. Would think nearly every major US company post-dates the Civil War.
    Even if it was just Lehman Brothers, that would have been an avenue worth exploring. The companies dividing up their loot now are accepting blood money. But actually, a lot of US and British capital belongs to corporations that built their wealth on the slave trade here and are still giants. A short list would include JP Morgan Chase, Aetna, NY Life Insurance, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Tiffany's, Rothschild and Sons, Norfolk Southern, CNL, CSX, Brown Brothers Harriman, and Brooks Brothers. Collectively, trillions of still existing capital fueling the modern anglophone market.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."