Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: California May Have a Random Celebrity Republican as Governor Soon

1. Top | #441
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The count continues, though slowly.

The vote is now No: 62.0%, Yes: 38.0%, with >95% of the vote counted.

San Joaquin Cty is now >95%. Only 14 counties <= 95%. Their estimated uncounted votes is now 53,000. At this rate of vote counting, it should be done by the end of this week.

ETA: Shasta, Imperial, and Inyo Counties are at 95%, Kern, Yolo, Tehama, San Benito, Del Norte, and Colusa Counties at 94%, Napa County at 93%, Humboldt County at 87%, Alpine County at 80%, Modoc County at 76%, and Lake County at 39%.

2. Top | #442
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yesterday, the vote was No: 62.0%, Yes: 38.0%, with >95% of the vote counted.

Only 11 counties then had <=95%, with Del Norte, Humboldt, and Yolo Counties then having >95%. Only about 41,000 votes in the <=95% counties uncounted.

Today, the vote is No: 61.9%, Yes: 38.1%, with >95% of the vote counted.

Only 9 counties now have <=95%, with Kern and Napa Counties now having >95%. Only about 25,000 votes in the <=95% counties.

I notice a lack of change in the counts in the <=95% counties. Almost as if there is a team that goes from county to county, counting up the stragglers. At that putative team's rate of counting, the count should be done tomorrow or Monday. Tuesday will be 4 weeks after Election Day.

Shasta County is the most populous remaining county, though it is only second in uncounted votes. The champion there is Lake County.

3. Top | #443
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Alpine County is now at >95% counted, leaving 8 counties <= 95%. Lake is still at 39%, Modoc at 76%, Tehama, San Benito, and Colusa at 94%, and Shasta, Imperial, and Inyo at 95%.

These stragglers are mostly rural and small-town, and not big cities or their suburbs, and they mostly voted Yes, to recall.

2021 California Recall Election Results - The New York Times

4. Top | #444
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Imperial is now >95%, with some more votes counted. That county is at the southeast corner of the state. Only 7 counties remaining, with some 23,000 votes to count.

San Benito and Inyo Counties are the only ones remaining that are south of the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento; all the others are north of those two urban areas.

The strongest Yes to Recall votes came from the northeast area of the state, and that area overlaps with a proposed secession: southwest Oregon and northern California as the state of Jefferson. Proposals for its southern border vary: Mendocino - Plumas and Mendocino - Placer with a southern extension into Madera. Both proposals include several "Yes" counties with only a few No counties. Jefferson (proposed Pacific state)

5. Top | #445
    Ha! Jefferson can't have Madera County, that's in the South Valley. They're always trying to gerrymander their proposed state in to bizarre shapes, for fear that the inclusion of any cities of size will turn the new state blue. They're right to worry, but why should anyone else feel inclined to let them create a new, octopus-shaped Wyoming?
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

6. Top | #446
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Madera County is due east of San Jose, and it's more like at the center of the Central Valley. Bakersfield, in Kern County, is at the south end of that valley.

I've seen secession proposals for far-northern California, as it may be called, southwestern Oregon, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington State, either making new states or else joining Idaho to make some Greater Idaho.

That aside, Tehama County has some votes counted, making it join the >95%. Only 6 counties remain, with about 21,500 votes uncounted in htem.

7. Top | #447
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Madera County is due east of San Jose, and it's more like at the center of the Central Valley. Bakersfield, in Kern County, is at the south end of that valley.

I've seen secession proposals for far-northern California, as it may be called, southwestern Oregon, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington State, either making new states or else joining Idaho to make some Greater Idaho.

That aside, Tehama County has some votes counted, making it join the >95%. Only 6 counties remain, with about 21,500 votes uncounted in htem.
    I know exactly where Madera County is - two counties south of where I grew up in central California. And the idea that they're going to be allowed to cookie-cutter their way around four major metropolitan areas including the state capital, just to claim a bit of rural Madera county for their own, is silly.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

8. Top | #448
    Archived
    Total Posts
    One of the proposed maps includes Stanislaus County, which means that Jefferson will partially encircle Sacramento. Politesse, I don't know which "four major metropolitan areas" you are referring to, because I count the San Francisco Bay Area as one metropolitan area. With Sacramento, that makes two.

Shasta and Colusa Counties are now at >95%, and the four remaining counties are Lake 39%, Modoc 76%, San Benito 94%, and Inyo 95%. I expect San Benito and Inyo Counties to be next, since the stragglers counted so far are mostly at 94% or 95% counted. My estimate of votes to count in the four remaining stragglers are 17,400.

9. Top | #449
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The <=95% counties are now Modoc 76%, Lake 93%, San Benito 94%, Inyo 95% -- about 4,500 votes to go.

Lake County got a big jump in counted votes.

A very interesting book on American regionalism is Colin Woodard's "American Nations", a successor of Joel Garreau's "The Nine Nations of North America" and David Hackett Fischer's "Albion's Seed".

CW has a map of the 11 North American cultural nations, and the three most relevant ones here are El Norte, the Left Coast, and the Far West.

El Norte is from settlers who came from Mexico - it has southernmost California and a coastal strip northward to a little beyond Los Angeles -- Imperial, Riverside, San Diego, Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, and San Luis Obispo Counties.

The Left Coast is from settlers from the eastern US and Canada, and it extends further northward, starting at Monterey and San Benito Counties. It includes the counties that surround San Francisco Bay, Mendocino, Humboldt, and Del Norte Counties, the counties around the Willamette Valley in Oregon, the counties around Puget Sound in Washington, and Vancouver Island and the nearby mainland in British Columbia, Canada.

The Far West extends from these two regions eastward across a large stretch of arid, mountainous, and thinly populated territory. It is culturally very different from the coastal regions, thus the talk of secession.

10. Top | #450
    Squadron Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    'Stuck with.'
    Odd term for someone who got a landslide win from the state's voters. They're stuck with the favorite.

Apparently not that many people wanted to get stuck with Larry Elder the idiot.
    The fact that the top contender for QOP was Larry Elder shows what an utter joke this recall effort, and the QOP party more generally, have become.

Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Ha! Jefferson can't have Madera County, that's in the South Valley. They're always trying to gerrymander their proposed state in to bizarre shapes, for fear that the inclusion of any cities of size will turn the new state blue. They're right to worry, but why should anyone else feel inclined to let them create a new, octopus-shaped Wyoming?
    I did a crude study on partitioning California. I found that almost any segment of California defined solely by two lines of latitude would have a blue-voting majority. Even the far north would be dominated by populous blue-leaning Humboldt County.