Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Do atheists think that debating Christian apologists is wrong?

1. Top | #121
    Quote Originally Posted by funinspace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    See my Post #46.
    Ah, that is where you think you 'dismantled Ruth's arguments'. At least, thanks for pointing that out. I guess I should have been more direct in asking for where, as my snark obviously didn't get the point across well to you. I just figured it was fine to trade a barb for a self-applause. Well, without trying to trade barbs (or ad hominems), I'll just stick with color me unimpressed in calling that particular exchange an argument(s) won. As to the rest, we'd just be trading barbs, or dancing as you seem to prefer...

TTFN
    Depending on your age and your interest in boxing, you might remember the second bout between Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran. In that fight Duran quit reputedly saying "No mas" which is Spanish for "no more." Whatever Duran really said, he quit the fight for no good reason, and as a result lost the bout. I score debates the same way. If you quit for no good reason, then you lose the debate. Ruth quit for no good reason, and therefore she lost the debate.

I've seen that kind of behavior on the part of Christians many times. Once they realize they've lost the debate, they turn their tails and run. They will never concede the loss, of course.

2. Top | #122
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ruth quit for no good reason...
    It was for a good reason. You were trying to fit the theist into your pre-fab conception of what she must believe and disregarding what she said in order to do that. But, if you really wanted to discuss things forthrightly, you'd accept the other person's self-description of their beliefs and not project your image of what Christians believe onto them.

3. Top | #123
    Archived
    Total Posts
    See my Post #46.
    Ah, that is where you think you 'dismantled Ruth's arguments'. At least, thanks for pointing that out. I guess I should have been more direct in asking for where, as my snark obviously didn't get the point across well to you. I just figured it was fine to trade a barb for a self-applause. Well, without trying to trade barbs (or ad hominems), I'll just stick with color me unimpressed in calling that particular exchange an argument(s) won. As to the rest, we'd just be trading barbs, or dancing as you seem to prefer...

TTFN
    Depending on your age and your interest in boxing, you might remember the second bout between Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran. In that fight Duran quit reputedly saying "No mas" which is Spanish for "no more." Whatever Duran really said, he quit the fight for no good reason, and as a result lost the bout. I score debates the same way. If you quit for no good reason, then you lose the debate. Ruth quit for no good reason, and therefore she lost the debate.
    Here's another scoring analogy: One hears a guy bragging about the great sex he had that morning in the shower with his girlfriend; only to later find out the guy doesn't have a girlfriend...

4. Top | #124
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Ruth quit for no good reason...
    It was for a good reason. You were trying to fit the theist into your pre-fab conception of what she must believe and disregarding what she said in order to do that. But, if you really wanted to discuss things forthrightly, you'd accept the other person's self-description of their beliefs and not project your image of what Christians believe onto them.
    I didn't disregard what she said. She just failed to say much of substance. If I said something about her that was incorrect, then she had every opportunity to correct me. She didn't.

5. Top | #125
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    So this conversation what 'witty repartee' means. Always wondered what that meant.
    Ever see Wild Wild West, the 1999 Movie? That scene where West meets Loveless at the party, and they trade 'quips'?
    Loveless repeatedly pointing out West is a black man, West listing all the body parts shot or blown off of Loveless? Pause, repeat?

Not that.
    I believe that would be a double entendre, words placing emphasis on the dark and black.

6. Top | #126
    Contributor
    See my Post #46.

TTFN

I've seen that kind of behavior on the part of Christians many times. Once they realize they've lost the debate, they turn their tails and run. They will never concede the loss, of course.
    Latinos have a multifaceted word, pendejo. In Yiddish putz along with bupkus.

A putz con mucho bupkus. A fool saying nothing, a lot of hot air.

Leonard psyched and frustrated Durand with a little psychology that pushed Durand to the point he said the hell with it. The two eventually became good friends. A lesson in conflict and competition.

Trump was skilled at declaring victory in the face of obvious loss on an issue.

7. Top | #127
    Here's another scoring analogy: One hears a guy bragging about the great sex he had that morning in the shower with his girlfriend; only to later find out the guy doesn't have a girlfriend...
    I'm really not here to trade insults or engage in a troll war. I'm here to debate. If you're not willing or able to debate the issues, then I'll move on.

8. Top | #128
    Archived
    Total Posts

Thanks to all the good people here who have come to my support.

Unknown Soldier, let me enlighten you as to why I quit replying. The simple fact of the matter is that I do not debate. Ever. I have never been, and never will be, a professional apologist or debater. It is not in my skill set. I will discuss, provide information on a subject of interest, or give my opinion on matters under discussion. But if something develops into a debate, I am out.

I also refuse to engage fundamentalists of any persuasion – religious, atheist, political, whatever. Once I have determined that someone is in that class, I disengage. This is because fundamentalists invariably want only to debate; they are not interested in discussion at all. Debate is not why I am here – which you would have learned, had you read the thread I recommended to you or looked at some of my other postings. The other forum members are very aware of my stance on this as I have never made a secret of it.

You have made it very clear that your only interest is in debate. I am equally making it clear that I do not debate. So there we are. Given these opposing viewpoints, I will not engage you further on this forum and request you respect me likewise. My best wishes to you; I hope you find what you are wanting here.

Ruth

9. Top | #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Harris View Post
    Unknown Soldier, let me enlighten you as to why I quit replying. The simple fact of the matter is that I do not debate. Ever. I have never been, and never will be, a professional apologist or debater. It is not in my skill set. I will discuss, provide information on a subject of interest, or give my opinion on matters under discussion. But if something develops into a debate, I am out.

I also refuse to engage fundamentalists of any persuasion – religious, atheist, political, whatever. Once I have determined that someone is in that class, I disengage. This is because fundamentalists invariably want only to debate; they are not interested in discussion at all. Debate is not why I am here – which you would have learned, had you read the thread I recommended to you or looked at some of my other postings. The other forum members are very aware of my stance on this as I have never made a secret of it.

You have made it very clear that your only interest is in debate. I am equally making it clear that I do not debate. So there we are. Given these opposing viewpoints, I will not engage you further on this forum and request you respect me likewise. My best wishes to you; I hope you find what you are wanting here.

Ruth
    I understand. I wouldn't want to defend Christianity either.

10. Top | #130
    Contributor
    If you want to use boxing metaphors.

Ruth is not a power puncher but she landed a lot more unanswered punches.

No knockout but she won on points. A unanimous decision by all three judge' score cards.