Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid sex laws

1. Top | #11
    Contributor
    I read that before penicillin STDs were a major deterrent on sex outside of marriage.

Condoms plus the pill, even better abstinence. Yea that's it, abstinence.

2. Top | #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Here's an uncritical BBC article about a dumb new law touted as protecting women. It's now illegal to take off the condom during sex.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58848000

Sweden has had the same law for decades. It's idiotic. What if the guy says:

"She agreed that I take it off"
    "the condom broke"
    "she agreed to sex without a condom"

Then it's dead in the water. So obviously a stupid and unenforceable law. Yes, it would be great if men could be punished who do this. But they can't.

This was the law Julian Assange allegedly broke in Sweden and was accused of rape because of it. Worth noting is that neither of the two women had any interest in pressing charges. Because they themselves realized the unenforceability of it. This was something the prosecutor ran with anyway. Completely unenforceable. I guess she just hoped that Julian would admit to the crime in court. So silly.

Sweden now has a bizarre hodge podge of conflicting and overlapping laws on sex crime, creating absurd effects. These are all populistic and intended to protect women, without any thought on if it actually does. And they keep making new laws.

Passing these kinds of laws aren't zero cost. They bloat an already top heavy legal system (=which you pay for through taxes) creating jobs for lawyers without it benefitting anybody.
    You want me taking the only thing you have as resource off?
    First I told my imaginary friend about Jesus, then I told Jesus about my imaginary friend.
    Jackass Forever February 4, 2022..

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I read that before penicillin STDs were a major deterrent on sex outside of marriage.

Actually no. Historically, the ability for a woman to be abstinent is a luxury. Which is why it's been held up as a virtue. I'm pretty sure the shame around STD's meant that they would see it as a punishment from God, rather than an infectious disease.

I saw a study on mitochondrial DNA. The time period when most people were born out of wedlock was in the 1860'ies to 1890'ies. The hypothesis is that it has to do with the demographic shift of European cities full of destitute women, pushed off their childhood farms, who needed a way to make money. Almost every woman who could was strongly incentivized to have sex with somebody rich.

Hence the Victorian age's very anti sex vibe. It was a society sexually out of control in a way we wouldn't see again until the 1960'ies. Rape and sexual abuse was so prevalent it became normalized. Prostitutes had never been cheaper.

I'd argue that we've never really had a society where we let women just do their thing, so we don't really know how that society would look like. Even in super progressive today's world we still love to put our noses in what women should do or be. Facebook has a meltdown over nipples. Even some feminists get upset when other women "betray" them by being slutty.

4. Top | #14

Actually no. Historically, the ability for a woman to be abstinent is a luxury. Which is why it's been held up as a virtue. I'm pretty sure the shame around STD's meant that they would see it as a punishment from God, rather than an infectious disease.

I saw a study on mitochondrial DNA. The time period when most people were born out of wedlock was in the 1860'ies to 1890'ies. The hypothesis is that it has to do with the demographic shift of European cities full of destitute women who needed a way to make money. Almost every woman who could was strongly incentivized to have sex with somebody rich.

Hence the Victorian age's very anti sex vibe. It was a society sexually out of control in a way we wouldn't see again until the 1960'ies. Rape and sexual abuse was so prevalent it became normalized. Prostitutes had never been cheaper.

I'd argue that we've never really had a society where we let women just do their thing, so we don't really know how that society would look like. Even in super progressive today's world we still love to put our noses in what women should do or be. Facebook has a meltdown over nipples. Even some feminists get upset when other women "betray" them by being slutty.
    Hooker With A Penis - Maynard D.BA. Tool.
    Get a clue.
    First I told my imaginary friend about Jesus, then I told Jesus about my imaginary friend.
    Jackass Forever February 4, 2022..

5. Top | #15
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    Condoms aren't the best answer. They can break. And the pill can malfunction, too. Our kids should be told the truth: you want to avoid teen pregnancy? You want to delay having a baby to raise before you're ready, or even married, or even employed? The answer is "the A word", the time-honored, foolproof way to never be pregnant. You can call it a buzz kill, say that it's not as fun, but, if you don't want a bun in the oven, kids, practice the A word. Anal.
    Two words: Splash conception.

Anal isn't foolproof. Leaks out, dribbles down over the vagina.

6. Top | #16
    Contributor

I saw a study on mitochondrial DNA. The time period when most people were born out of wedlock was in the 1860'ies to 1890'ies. The hypothesis is that it has to do with the demographic shift of European cities full of destitute women, pushed off their childhood farms, who needed a way to make money. Almost every woman who could was strongly incentivized to have sex with somebody rich.

Abstinence was sarcasm.

Over here people knew the effects of syphilis. It was a deterrent. The gagster Al Capone died from it.

When I was in the Navy in the early 70s there was something euphemistically called 'the clap line'. Going to the infirmary for a dose of penicillin.