Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980

Thread: Whisky and other fine alcohol

1. Top | #791
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In lieu of drinking whisky or buying new bottles, here's a link I stumbled on tonight:

A timeline of whisky

1000 - 1200 AD

The origin of whiskey began over 1000 year ago when distillation made the migration from mainland Europe into Scotland and Ireland via traveling monks. The Scottish and Irish monasteries, lacking the vineyards and grapes of the continent, turn to fermenting grain mash, resulting in the first distillations of modern whisky.

The first written record of ‘whisky’ appears in the Irish Annals of Clonmacnoise, where is was written that the head of a clan died after “taking a surfeit [excessive amount] of aqua vitae” at Christmas.

2. Top | #792
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My partner's friend was in Scotland this past week and asked if we wanted her to bring us anything back. I asked if she could hunt down either a GlenDronach 18 Allardice, or a Ben Bracken Speyside.

The Ben Bracken Speyside is a Walmart brand Scotch, actually a masked GlenDronach that IIRC has only been aged for 3 years. She ended up bringing me home a bottle of the Ben Bracken, which is actually a bit of a relief because it's about 15% of the price of the Allardice.

Anyway, should be interesting trying a three year old GlenDronach.

3. Top | #793
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    My partner's friend was in Scotland this past week and asked if we wanted her to bring us anything back. I asked if she could hunt down either a GlenDronach 18 Allardice, or a Ben Bracken Speyside.

The Ben Bracken Speyside is a Walmart brand Scotch, actually a masked GlenDronach that IIRC has only been aged for 3 years. She ended up bringing me home a bottle of the Ben Bracken, which is actually a bit of a relief because it's about 15% of the price of the Allardice.

My limited experience with three-year-olds says it's going to be a bit harsh. Maybe a little water will help.

4. Top | #794
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post

My limited experience with three-year-olds says it's going to be a bit harsh. Maybe a little water will help.
    It's possible. Some of these distilleries are starting to look for avenues to put out Scotch without an age statement, because it is possible to put out decent product, faster.

That's why GlenDronach has an agreement with Walmart, because expectations are lower there and people aren't fussed about seeing a 12 on the bottle. Where in any regular Whisky shop consumers expect an age statement.

5. Top | #795
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A couple months ago I took three nearly empty bottles of bourbon, Bulleit, Elijah Wood, and Four Roses, and combined them together into one bottle. Had a dram on Friday, and oddly enough the mixture was nearly better than any of the individual whiskies alone.

6. Top | #796
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A couple months ago I took three nearly empty bottles of bourbon, Bulleit, Elijah Wood, and Four Roses
    Craig?

7. Top | #797
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonatha View Post
    A couple months ago I took three nearly empty bottles of bourbon, Bulleit, Elijah Wood, and Four Roses
    Craig?
    Indeed. Looks like my fingers typed without engaging brain first.

8. Top | #798
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Tried the Bracken and it was solid, definitely one of the highest value Scotches I've tried. And I say that with no level of disingenuousness at all, it was fantastic for the price point.

Unfortunately, not available in Canada.

9. Top | #799
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Something I have in common with the late Kim Jong Il is that we both enjoy Courvoisier VSOP. Not exactly finding something unique and special, nor obscure. But we can't all be hipsters

10. Top | #800
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Something I have in common with the late Kim Jong Il is that we both enjoy Courvoisier VSOP. Not exactly finding something unique and special, nor obscure. But we can't all be hipsters
    Next time you're drinking with him/Kim, try Hennessy XO . In Ontario Canada it is now $299 CAD for 750 ml bottle, but I haven't had any here. I remember drinking it when it was 3 Guineas a bottle ( L3/3/0 Sterling ) in any RAF Officers' Mess in England.

Do you think the boys are thinking those days will return with Brexit?