Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182

Thread: The dumb questions thread

1. Top | #811
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    You have a long metal rod. You hit one end with a hammer and force is transmitted down the rod. It can not be instantaneous.

At the atomic-molecular scale how is energy transferred down the rod?
    Compression wave.

2. Top | #812
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    You have a long metal rod. You hit one end with a hammer and force is transmitted down the rod. It can not be instantaneous.

Compression wave.
    The techical term is longitudinal wave, but that does not explain the physics.

I was wondering how the energy transfer occurs at the atomic scale. I do not know off the top of my head..

3. Top | #813
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Compression wave transmitted by kinetic energy as molecules are forced together by the initial impact?

4. Top | #814
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts

Compression wave.

I was wondering how the energy transfer occurs at the atomic scale. I do not know off the top of my head..
    At the atomic scale, atoms don't like to get close to each other due to electrostatic forces (i.e. like charges repel, and atomic nuclei are all positively charged). If you push the atoms in your hammer into the atoms in the metal rod, they will push back against the hammer and against the atoms below them in the rod. This reaction happens over and over again, all the way down the rod. The atoms in the metal move at a finite speed, which is why the energy isn't transmitted instantaneously.

5. Top | #815
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts

At the atomic scale, atoms don't like to get close to each other due to electrostatic forces (i.e. like charges repel, and atomic nuclei are all positively charged). If you push the atoms in your hammer into the atoms in the metal rod, they will push back against the hammer and against the atoms below them in the rod. This reaction happens over and over again, all the way down the rod. The atoms in the metal move at a finite speed, which is why the energy isn't transmitted instantaneously.
    Yup. It's electromagnetic forces between electrons, mediated by photons. Just like pretty much EVERY phenomenon in everyday life that's not gravity. Radioactivity and nuclear physics are really the only exceptions; Either it's stuff falling towards a massive object (Earth, Moon or Sun), or it's electromagnetic interactions between electrons, mediated by photons.

Gravity is too weak for humans to notice unless it involves one of those three objects; And nucleons tend to be buried under a sea of electrons. So the answer to pretty much every question about pretty much every interaction in our lives is electromagnetic forces between electrons mediated by photons.

6. Top | #816
    Contributor

That makes sense. I would not have thought of it as charge repulsion.

7. Top | #817
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's not really charge repulsion as much as electron degeneracy pressure - a pressure exerted because electrons, being half spin fermions, cannot inhabit identical quantum states.

8. Top | #818
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    It's not really charge repulsion as much as electron degeneracy pressure - a pressure exerted because electrons, being half spin fermions, cannot inhabit identical quantum states.
    Ok, you probably know more thyan I do.

A metal rod is in equilibrium, atoms are moving around in place. An impulse is inut on ne end.

Dimensionally it is Newtons in and Newtons out. Atoms are held in place by atomic forces. Electrons are charged particles which should have a field. How is force transmitted through an atom?

In a ping pong ball there is an elastic deformation. Does the atom physically deform with an equal and opposite reaction force?

9. Top | #819
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Ok, you probably know more thyan I do.

A metal rod is in equilibrium, atoms are moving around in place. An impulse is inut on ne end.

Dimensionally it is Newtons in and Newtons out. Atoms are held in place by atomic forces. Electrons are charged particles which should have a field. How is force transmitted through an atom?

In a ping pong ball there is an elastic deformation. Does the atom physically deform with an equal and opposite reaction force?
    Yes, the atom does physically deform in the sense that the nuclei are closer together during compression and that atoms are cheek by jowl in a metal lattice. But atoms do not have a sharply defined radius or surface like a ping-pong ball would. When the nuclei get closer to each other and repel more, so do nuclei and electrons and they attract each other more. Coulomb forces are therefore a wash. So you need quantum mechanics and the idea of electron degeneracy pressure which is related to the Pauli exclusion principle which says that two electrons (or any other fermions) cannot inhabit the same quantum state.