Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anything in Zen?

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
    No, but there is something in Christ.
    Are you a Christian or just joking?

I tried to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance once. Less than half way through I though it sucked and quit reading.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perspicuo View Post
    Before you go on to say.....
    Perspicuo,

Another "You".

Alex.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post

I tried to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance once. Less than half way through I though it sucked and quit reading.
    Noble,

That sounds very Zen.

Folks,

I have posted my puzzle on a few websites and had one reply that particularly appealed.

"Just explore the feeling of stuckness." Others have got close, but that one hit the spot. This exploration be done in meditation (as I find from experience), although more often than not our ability to be in the moment can happen at any time. I found it useful whilst in hospital.

Alex.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philos View Post
    There have been a lot of 'yous' in this thread.
    What? I tend to use 2nd person because third-person-indifferent sounds like a pompous lecturer. "The zen student will begin to question his ability to question...."
    Feh.

5. Top | #15
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Same here...

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharakov View Post
    So, that's why I and every zen master in the world, all we have to say to you is: sit.
    You're no master.
    I didn't say I was.
    Empíricamente,
    Perspicuo

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
    No, but there is something in Christ.
    Are you a Christian or just joking?

I haven't read it, but knowledgeable Buddhists keep saying that book has nothing to do with actual Zen.

If you want to know about Zen, there's nothing at all you can do except: go in that local Zen Meditation Center, get the initial workshop, keep going for some 4 weeks and then you'll get the idea. Don't worry, they won't suck your soul or make you believe in acupuncture or trademark blessed oil from the Holy Land or something. If you dislike bowing to honor Siddhartha Gautama, well, just bow and that's it, it's like going to Buckingham palace and bowing to the Queen, it doesn't mean you're betraying your republican convictions, it's just politeness, as you would with your Karate sensei. You also gassho (bowing) towards your zafu pillow, which shows it isn't worship, just reverence (gratitude).

And if your conclusion is that Zen is boring, yes, grasshoppa, it is, or at least you're starting to get it. It's like swimming: If your idea was that you would become Aquaman or Mark Spitz, and now you think it's just dumb ol' moving in the water... then you're starting to get it.
    Then if you stick to it --oh horror-- you'll start liking it. Zen is just doing it. Zen is a practice. Plus everything done in Zen style is fcking beautiful, the architecture, the decor, even mindful cleaning up (yes, that's part of the package) is beautiful and energizing. As long as (and once you realize) you don't think it's something ooowow special or you become the Last Airbender.
    Last edited by Perspicuo; 01-26-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    Empíricamente,
    Perspicuo

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharakov View Post
    So, that's why I and every zen master in the world, all we have to say to you is: sit.
    You're no master.
    I didn't say I was.
    Yes, you did!
    You said 'I and every other zen master in....'
    Oh. Wait, no, you didn't say 'other.'

Darn, i hate when that happens....

9. Top | #19
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philos View Post

Folks,

I have posted my puzzle on a few websites and had one reply that particularly appealed.

"Just explore the feeling of stuckness." Others have got close, but that one hit the spot. This exploration be done in meditation (as I find from experience), although more often than not our ability to be in the moment can happen at any time. I found it useful whilst in hospital.

Alex.
    Alex,
    In the type of meditation I practice (T.M.), (I think Perspicuo too) we don't "explore" thoughts. Thoughts just come and go and they are irrelevant. To concentrate in any way defeats the purpose because it keeps the mind "stuck" in a superficial level of activity...

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts

So basically zen is all about zazen. So, that's why I and every zen master in the world, all we have to say to you is: sit.
    This is not the way I learned the teachings of zen. It was determined that sitting would be more of a distraction for me learning Zen as I came to it after studying among Tibetan Buddhist monks. The previous training was too ingrained by that point. Therefore, I was instructed using Kinhin (walking meditation) only. The methodology was also loose. I was not required to do formal walks, but ones in nature like those practiced by Thích Nhất Hạnh with Westerners new to Zen.

During these walks, the focus was to still the mind and return to the present moment by using external stimuli around me. As I walk, I am aware of walking. Aware of the leaves, the rain, the sky, all of it - as it is without definition or limitation. With training I learned to tune out all internal noise simply by looking at a single drop of dew, for example.

It is more effective than any other method I've tried for attaining absolute stillness within using little effort.