Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

1. Top | #651
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    He might like Tad William's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy (first book in the series is called The DragonBone Chair). It's similar to Tolkien in that the dragons are rarely seen but are powerful agents of change (which is how I prefer my dragons, if at all.). If Martin's series is R-rated, then William's is definitely PG, but Martin cited it as inspiration for Game of Thrones.

An older series (might not be in print) is Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg, which showcases a dragon. Later books in the series, the dragon even takes on a sense of humor which might or might not appeal.

I've never bothered with McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. Same with Paolini's Eragon series. But of course, they both feature dragons heavily.

Here's a long list of Dragon Lovers books, almost none of which I've read.
    Thanks. The Williams series sounds like something he might enjoy. He has read all the GoT to date. I don't remember if he has avoided the series or not. He was for a while to avoid spoilers plus it can be weird to watch when a series really diverges from the books...

2. Top | #652
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The DragonBone Chair

The Stone of Farewell

To Green Angel Tower

I warn everyone when I recommend this series--it's a slow-building story. The first few chapters are mostly character introductions, and very understated conflict building. I've heard a lot of people give up on the series early on because they think that nothing is happening. And I agree with that. But when I hit about page 200 or so, a key event occurs that's like the removal of a keystone that causes an avalanche. After that, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

3. Top | #653
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    The DragonBone Chair

The Stone of Farewell

To Green Angel Tower

I warn everyone when I recommend this series--it's a slow-building story. The first few chapters are mostly character introductions, and very understated conflict building. I've heard a lot of people give up on the series early on because they think that nothing is happening. And I agree with that. But when I hit about page 200 or so, a key event occurs that's like the removal of a keystone that causes an avalanche. After that, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.
    Very much appreciated!

4. Top | #654
    Archived
    Total Posts
    1947: Where Now Begins by Elizabeth Asbrink

Will in the world. by Stephen Greenblatt

Winter's Bone. Danial Woodrell

A Boy and his dog at the end of the world by C A Fletcher

Posting to thank the people who recommended these books.
    My Brane Hertz

5. Top | #655
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Rosemary's Baby -- a fun read. And perfect for the season, with the birth of a miraculous baby who may grow up to transform this world.

6. Top | #656
    Right now, a review article (Vilchis 2019) on the plausibility of the old hypothesis that humans were responsible for the death of North American megafauna at the end of the Pleistocene.

Later, planning to dig into Zora Neale Hurston's "Barracoon", paired with the fictional (it's vacation time!) "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

7. Top | #657
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    Rosemary's Baby -- a fun read. And perfect for the season, with the birth of a miraculous baby who may grow up to transform this world.
    I was a teenager when that came out. I still go a little queasy when I contemplate book or movie.
    My Brane Hertz

8. Top | #658
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Narrative of an Expedition to the Zambesi and it's Tributaries by David Livingstone, originally published in 1865.

I got a new, hardcover version of this for Christmas. I'd had it on my e-reader but thought a physical copy might be nice. Very interesting read.

9. Top | #659
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Goldilocks Enigma - Paul Davies.

The nature of reality.

10. Top | #660
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What the Negro Thinks by Robert Moton (1929), written deep in the swamp of old-style Jim Crow by a black author. He sees glimmers of hope but states that real change is elusive where blacks cannot vote. The title is somewhat deceptive. I am just past the halfway point in the book, but wherever he starts a sentence with "The thinking Negro.." (which is frequent) and then says what the race is thinking, he does it without any indication of how he came by his insight. The thinking Negro is really a phrase indicating his own gut reactions.