Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 665

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. Top | #641
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    9,438
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    18,952
    Rep Power
    46
    Neo-Colonialism: The last Stage of Imperialism by Kwame Nkrumah, independence leader of Ghana.

    Down we go further into the African rabbit-hole..

  2. Top | #642
    My Brane Hertz spikepipsqueak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    3,216
    Archived
    8,811
    Total Posts
    12,027
    Rep Power
    50
    Modoc. Ralph Helfer

    Chaucer, A European Life Marion Turner

    Tomorrow, When the War Began John Marsden (Highly recommend this for teenagers.)
    My Brane Hertz

  3. Top | #643
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    9,438
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    18,952
    Rep Power
    46
    The Harmless People - Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. Fascinating, narrative driven work of anthropology on hunter-gatherers in the Kalahari desert in the 50s.

    And because it's winter and the library is a good lunch-break destination..

    Before Modern Humans - Grant McCall. A work of archaeo-anthropology published in 2015, that theorizes about our prehistory before modern humans, during the Paleolithic (old stone age) era. So far I've read it's introduction, which is a survey of the history of the field.

    I'm still chipping away at many of the above books I've mentioned, but recently unloaded The Fourth World, Causes of Freedom, Concise Anthropology of the Indigenous, and the two Max Weber volumes. But there's still a pile of books sitting on the side-table in our study.

  4. Top | #644
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    The Harmless People - Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. Fascinating, narrative driven work of anthropology on hunter-gatherers in the Kalahari desert in the 50s.

    And because it's winter and the library is a good lunch-break destination..

    Before Modern Humans - Grant McCall. A work of archaeo-anthropology published in 2015, that theorizes about our prehistory before modern humans, during the Paleolithic (old stone age) era. So far I've read it's introduction, which is a survey of the history of the field.

    I'm still chipping away at many of the above books I've mentioned, but recently unloaded The Fourth World, Causes of Freedom, Concise Anthropology of the Indigenous, and the two Max Weber volumes. But there's still a pile of books sitting on the side-table in our study.
    Goodness, you outpace even me on the reading. Let me know if Anthropology of the Indigenous is any good.

  5. Top | #645
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    9,438
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    18,952
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    The Harmless People - Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. Fascinating, narrative driven work of anthropology on hunter-gatherers in the Kalahari desert in the 50s.

    And because it's winter and the library is a good lunch-break destination..

    Before Modern Humans - Grant McCall. A work of archaeo-anthropology published in 2015, that theorizes about our prehistory before modern humans, during the Paleolithic (old stone age) era. So far I've read it's introduction, which is a survey of the history of the field.

    I'm still chipping away at many of the above books I've mentioned, but recently unloaded The Fourth World, Causes of Freedom, Concise Anthropology of the Indigenous, and the two Max Weber volumes. But there's still a pile of books sitting on the side-table in our study.
    Goodness, you outpace even me on the reading. Let me know if Anthropology of the Indigenous is any good.
    In fairness, I very rarely come close to finishing any of these titles.

    A topic has to really grab me to read it cover to cover, the last one being The Rise and Decline of the Zairian State by Crawford Young. Usually what I'm doing instead is checking out a stack of books, having 5 - 10 at any given time, and picking away at the parts I'm interested in until I lose interest. Some go back to the library pretty quickly, others I hold on to for months and still don't finish.

    The Anthropology of the North American Indigenous I mentioned in that post was your friends book, which I browsed through a few times. Looked good, but I'm losing interest in the topic.

    Another factor is that it's getting cold here and the library is a good place to stretch my legs on lunch-breaks. Really hard to walk out of there without checking something out.

  6. Top | #646
    My Brane Hertz spikepipsqueak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    3,216
    Archived
    8,811
    Total Posts
    12,027
    Rep Power
    50
    Just finished An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

    Highly recommend it.

    This is the sort of book that kept me reading SF when I was a kid.

    I learned some things about the world I live in that I didn't already know, the author had some insights about people that were useful and an interesting premise.

    What more could you want?
    My Brane Hertz

  7. Top | #647
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    9,025
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    12,680
    Rep Power
    44
    Does anybody have any recommendations for books with a dragon theme? In case it isn't obvious: fantasy/sci fi.

    NOT Tolkien and not McCaffey. I'm looking for a gift for my son who is a big Tolkien fan and has all the books and would not likely be a fan of McCaffey.

  8. Top | #648
    Veteran Member prideandfall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a drawer of inappropriate starches
    Posts
    1,494
    Archived
    2,715
    Total Posts
    4,209
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Does anybody have any recommendations for books with a dragon theme? In case it isn't obvious: fantasy/sci fi.

    NOT Tolkien and not McCaffey. I'm looking for a gift for my son who is a big Tolkien fan and has all the books and would not likely be a fan of McCaffey.
    define dragon theme - like, as in, prominently features dragons as central characters? or takes place in a world where dragons exist? or a more generalized 'sword and sorcery' style high fantasy?

    i just finished The Burning White by Brent Weeks, the 5th and final book of his Lightbringer series.
    it was an unbelievably huge disappointment, to the level where i'm seriously wondering if someone murdered Weeks and ghost wrote this as a prank.
    the first 4 books are uniformly and consistently the best new fiction i have read in the last 10 years (and i devour fiction ravenously, probably reading 15-20 books per year) and i was just mad for this author, and the level to which he utterly shit the bed in the last book is frankly mind blowing.

    with martin and ruthfuss both having gone full blown fat-bearded-recluses-who-don't-put-out-work, weeks being replaced by a pod person, scott lynch had a nervous breakdown, and peter brett just finished his series so won't put anything new for years... i kinda think that basically brandon sanderson is the only viable Big Deal author left in high fantasy right now.
    thankfully he's a rather prolific writer, but g'damn it's depressing to have so little to choose from.

  9. Top | #649
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    9,025
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    12,680
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Does anybody have any recommendations for books with a dragon theme? In case it isn't obvious: fantasy/sci fi.

    NOT Tolkien and not McCaffey. I'm looking for a gift for my son who is a big Tolkien fan and has all the books and would not likely be a fan of McCaffey.
    define dragon theme - like, as in, prominently features dragons as central characters? or takes place in a world where dragons exist? or a more generalized 'sword and sorcery' style high fantasy?

    i just finished The Burning White by Brent Weeks, the 5th and final book of his Lightbringer series.
    it was an unbelievably huge disappointment, to the level where i'm seriously wondering if someone murdered Weeks and ghost wrote this as a prank.
    the first 4 books are uniformly and consistently the best new fiction i have read in the last 10 years (and i devour fiction ravenously, probably reading 15-20 books per year) and i was just mad for this author, and the level to which he utterly shit the bed in the last book is frankly mind blowing.

    with martin and ruthfuss both having gone full blown fat-bearded-recluses-who-don't-put-out-work, weeks being replaced by a pod person, scott lynch had a nervous breakdown, and peter brett just finished his series so won't put anything new for years... i kinda think that basically brandon sanderson is the only viable Big Deal author left in high fantasy right now.
    thankfully he's a rather prolific writer, but g'damn it's depressing to have so little to choose from.
    He was/is a huge fan of Tolkien--and has the books, dvds, etc. I got him a pair of chinese dragon bookends and I thought another book/series of books featuring dragons would be good to go with. He's smart, philosophical, into languages and history.

  10. Top | #650
    Veteran Member James Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,963
    Archived
    5,844
    Total Posts
    8,807
    Rep Power
    56
    He might like Tad William's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy (first book in the series is called The DragonBone Chair). It's similar to Tolkien in that the dragons are rarely seen but are powerful agents of change (which is how I prefer my dragons, if at all.). If Martin's series is R-rated, then William's is definitely PG, but Martin cited it as inspiration for Game of Thrones.

    An older series (might not be in print) is Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg, which showcases a dragon. Later books in the series, the dragon even takes on a sense of humor which might or might not appeal.

    I've never bothered with McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. Same with Paolini's Eragon series. But of course, they both feature dragons heavily.

    Here's a long list of Dragon Lovers books, almost none of which I've read.

Similar Threads

  1. What *aren't* you reading?
    By rousseau in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-22-2019, 05:24 PM
  2. What book are you reading next?
    By Underseer in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2014, 02:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •