Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My reading at the moment is just waiting for some new books
    I'm currently going back through Worlds of Honor by David Weber while waiting for Cauldron of Ghosts to come out

And have been looking at Seanan McGuires book Rosemary and Rue while waiting for her next book Half Off Ragnarok to come out

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Right Now, the Shelby Foote Civil War History

Eldarion Lathria

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Just finished Child of God by Cormac McCarthy.

Very dark, disturbing, but a good, very artful read. By that I mean that McCarthy's writing is poetic but most of the time he manages to not get up his own ass with it. It seems like a lot of very critically acclaimed authors are loved by critics because they can pile up adjectives like bouquets at a florist's funeral. McCarthy flirts with that from time to time but for the most part it's story and character. At times the story becomes disjointed. There's a part that seems really important but is simply never explained--almost like he just forgot about it and when it came to revise he just said fuck it, my deadline's due.

Oh, it's about a mentally disturbed guy who was falsely accused of rape. Once out of jail he wanders the hills in Tennessee doing seriously weird and violent stuff.

It's a relatively short book too and I was glad for that. I'd read a lot of stuff about McCarthy via critical reviews and I was afraid of getting bogged down in a sea of over-description. I'm rambling...

Anyway, pick it up. You can finish it in a few hours. Good book.

4. Top | #14
    Deep in the heart of mother-lovin' Texas!
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A couple of years ago I read through most of Cormac McCarthy. Unconventional and violent and yes, he leaves some things hanging for you to figure out. He doesn't fill in all the holes he digs; that's part of his style.

For brutal violence, Blood Meridian is by far his harshest book. I love the Border Trilogy; IMO his best work. Suttree is a good read as well.

Oddly enough, The Road, his best known book, is my least favorite.

Anyway, I recently finished Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. Another book down in my 19th century lit effort. I've recently read a bit of Borges (Dreamtigers) and have been rereading some PK Dick; right now, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (the one with Perky Pat, Can-D, and Chew-Z).

If you've never read Dick and Borges, you're missing something!

And hey, look what I found online...

http://thefloatinglibrary.com/borges/

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Re-reading Michael Shermer's - Why people believe weird things on Kindle and Ted Kennedy's autobiography True Compass: A Memoir in hard cover. I've got Jackie Kennedy's secret service agent Clint Hill's book Five Days in November, but I haven't started it yet. Just waiting for a week or two with some free time and that baby is getting all my attention!

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member braces_for_impact's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm reading Zombie Economics: How Dead Ideas Still Walk among Us. It's interesting, because I know very little about the subject and I find this book quite readable.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    For lack of anything else to read I have gone back and re-re-re read Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts, and am about to go onto Servant of the Empire

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braces_for_impact View Post
    I'm reading Zombie Economics: How Dead Ideas Still Walk among Us. It's interesting, because I know very little about the subject and I find this book quite readable.
    Just finished it. I got the two Cartoon Economics books to go with it, just in case I needed a refresher on some concepts. I liked it, especially the history of the ideas.

Now I am reading:

The Ministry of Guidance invites you to not stay : an American family in Iran
    Author Majd, Hooman.

Basically, I am going down the Daily Show book list, but just added some stuff from the Sci Fi thread on this forum

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've found that I'm a fan of writers who use crisp, original metaphors. If you're into that sort of thing, check out Ben Fountain's Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.

Just finished reading Stephen Coonts's Liberty. Met the man at a fund-raiser last summer, spent the evening chatting with him, and he sent me a couple of his works along with a couple of other favorites. It was a fun read; I look forward to the next one.

I'm currently reading Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind, Part 1 of The Kingkiller Chronicles--on a well-read friend's recommendation.

d

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Stranger in a Strange Land (the original uncut version) by Heinlein.

I read the "cut" version in high school about 40 years ago. I didn't recall too much about it except grok, sex and cannibalism.

This version was published in about 1990 after Heinlein's widow discovered the orignal manuscript. This version contains an additional 60,000 words that supposedly expand upon Heinlein's views on woman, society, sexuality, politics, etc.

I'm about 360 pages into this 500 page work, and I've spent much of that time mentally screaming "Get on with it!"

There's too much dialogue before that juicy stuff even begins, and too much talking in between brief periods of good reading. And I'm not finding Heinlein's views of the world, if they are accurately expressed here, very enlightening.

I think I'm finding out why I continued to read Bradbury and Vonnegut after high school and have mostly skipped Heinlein. But I did buy a copy of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", too.

That's completely new material to me, and maybe it'll be a more enjoyable experience.
    Last edited by bradw; 04-06-2014 at 01:37 AM. Reason: I've gotta learn how to write