Thread: New Xtian Movie with Violent Imagery Against Unbelievers

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

New Xtian Movie with Violent Imagery Against Unbelievers

A new Christian Movie is coming out, apparently about the "power of prayer." It's called War Room, scary enough. They will say that it is just allegorical, but just listen to the woman's prayer in the trailer:

This is extremely frightening imagery. Christians are going to raise up an army. She asks God to raise up warriors who will fight, but then quickly adds that the fight is on their knees. And then she asks God to "call us to battle". OK!

Children are shown praying in schools. Maybe it's a christian school. But maybe not.

All in all I find this extremely disturbing imagery for today. These guys' previous movies seemed relatively harmless, Fireproof being about saving some troubled marriage of a Firefighter through Jesus. No big deal. And I realize that the plot of this movie is about a family struggling with their faith who find out about how great prayer works. If that was what it was all about, no big deal again. But the trailer's prayer seems to invoke something different. Is the allegory really about our whole nation needing to get back to xtianity and rejecting secularism? Is the army really not allegorical, but a real one used to establish a Christian theocracy? (Which we all know the founders really wanted.)

The movie is not out yet, and I wouldn't pay money to see it. But I just wonder what it's impact will be. I have half a mind to trash it on its Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/warroomthemovie

Thoughts?

SLD

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nothing scary about it. Looks like yet another lame direct-to-dvd overly christian movie. I can´t imagine these sorts of movies would do well even in America. The rest of us, of course, will be completely spared exposure to such atrocities against good taste.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
    Nothing scary about it. Looks like yet another lame direct-to-dvd overly christian movie. I can´t imagine these sorts of movies would do well even in America. The rest of us, of course, will be completely spared exposure to such atrocities against good taste.
    Agreed. It is lame. But you need to come live in the Southeast US for awhile. Such warrior allegories are quickly construed in ways to invite repression against us unbelievers. Prayer in school is a huge issue, and these guys are always looking to see it forced back upon us. When I see a movie showing a bunch of school children bowing their heads in prayer, and people calling for an Army of worshippers, I say it is cause for serious concern. I love Amsterdam; it's a tolerant and secular city. But you need to pay a visit down here!

SLD

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The movie promises to restore your faith.
    Of course, the movie "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" promised that i would believe in UFOs after i watched it.

I think a lot of choirs are going to sit through this sermon, but a lot of people who get it as a gift will not watch it. Certainly not the entire thing.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't live in the Bible Land but I was raised as a fundie so I'm familiar with this kind of "warrior" talk. They love to use this kind of imagery and language but as literal as they take the Bible, they don't want to form a real armed force & convert us all at gunpoint. Well, I'm sure there are crazy ones out there that do want that but they're not the majority.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I take the 'warrior' imagery as a battle against 'evil' (selfishness, despair, all those negatives states of being), not 'unbelievers' as a target for hate.
    There was nothing I found scary about the trailer.
    Was that old lady that was praying the same actress that played the old lady in "The Stand"? I loved her preachy tone in that movie.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Same-sex marriage was a numbing blow to our conservative Christian citizens. I think they know it's final -- at least, I haven't heard any "Take back the country" schemes on this issue. (It would be awesome if this inspired some of this population to withdraw from the political system.) Sharia Law is another bogeyman that drives some of them wild. It's hilarious to hear people in the middle of corn country beating the drums over Sharia Law!!!! Meantime, of course, they want the laws to reflect their scriptures on reproductive rights, etc, etc; don't get me started.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    Same-sex marriage was a numbing blow to our conservative Christian citizens. I think they know it's final -- at least, I haven't heard any "Take back the country" schemes on this issue. (It would be awesome if this inspired some of this population to withdraw from the political system.) Sharia Law is another bogeyman that drives some of them wild. It's hilarious to hear people in the middle of corn country beating the drums over Sharia Law!!!! Meantime, of course, they want the laws to reflect their scriptures on reproductive rights, etc, etc; don't get me started.
    LOL...there are a few loony talking heads that are talking revolution (like 1776 style). But even when they try to gather people up to "demonstrate" their large groupie resolve, never mind anything like ideas of forming real revolutionary cells, the can't seem to get the cannon fodder to step away from their FaceButt et.al. pages...

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
    Agreed. It is lame. But you need to come live in the Southeast US for awhile. Such warrior allegories are quickly construed in ways to invite repression against us unbelievers.
    No way would I live down there...visiting relatives in Arizona gives me more than I want to deal with regarding rednecks/evangelicals. I'll stay in Portlandia area. Nothing like seeing "Guns, God, & Glory" bumper stickers, or wishing Hillary would go to hell signs...