Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Folding team - The Godless Ones

1. Top | #391
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So I got my fans going right again. Going just until I achieve one billion more points than any other godless one contributor. Any day now.

It''s like when I was bragging about catching bilby by May 2016. I had to put up or shut up. Otherwise the exercise is pointless.

2. Top | #392
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, since I was let go from my employer yesterday, I'll have 2 fewer processors doing any folding for me for the foreseeable future. Actually, there's a small chance that the one may continue for a little while yet. Though once they log me off, or restart that machine, I'll be done on it. It'll just be my home machine then. We'll see if my son takes his PS4 to college on Monday or not, otherwise I might be able to install the client on there and get it running.

3. Top | #393
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Once again, a link to the stats page.
    New page, time to share this link again.

4. Top | #394
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looks Like I'm done here. Not likely I'm going to buy another GPU. The one I have will limp along doing simulations for elder care in-home app simulations.

5. Top | #395
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't immediately scrap computers that become too restricted for paid work. They are allowed to remain folding until they totally give up. Not a huge number of points, but "every little helps".

My problem now is that some computers have latched on to a work server that for days have refused to supply work, despite being "online", and at Status: Download. Others are more lucky: Still totalling some 48 kPoints per week.

And yes, I've tried to shut down and re-start, but they're still stuck on that 171.67.108.158 server.

Ideas are soooo welcome.

6. Top | #396
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Increase folding to 100% on FAH control, use only GPU for folding. Two adjustments I made that worked.

Not to complain but: BTW my single computer had been crunching out about 655k points a day for nearly three years. It's not an old computer. I had to stop with another of my computers about a year and a half ago because folding at 24 hour since 2015 schedule began to compromise fans. Since I was doing taxes on that machine it was better to take it off full time duty, finally, retire it, in early 2018.

My son was contributing big time. First he provided two Nvidia 970s sacrificing his gaming, he's 53, in September 2016. Then he really cranked it up in November 2016 with those and a Nvidia 1070 which fried after three months. We've done what we can. So for two months we were cranking out about 1.7 million points a day. Since then we've been at about 1.2 million until his last 970 gave up last winter and we have run at 650 k points a day since. Add George and we were carrying the bulk of this teams approximate 1.2 meg daily output this year.
    Last edited by fromderinside; 08-25-2019 at 04:51 AM.

7. Top | #397
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Increase folding to 100% on FAH control, use only GPU for folding. Two adjustments I made that worked.
    Update: Following numerous exits and re-boots, now one computer pretends to be downloading but nothing happens, one got back to working, two highlight Updating but don't move and their greyed out Control displays have forgotten my name and team. According to some Folding tab, the software looks for the optimal setup - I have no idea of how to look for GPUs (and they probably won't be very efficient in those computers). When accessible, all of them work(ed) at 100%. Thanks anyway.

8. Top | #398
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It was just a thought. Worked when I moved from 25% folding while my fans began acting up. There are several GPU supported by the folding team which you can access in their literature. As for setting them up with your FAH Control app you just designate it when selecting which elements of RAM (compute or graphics) device to use for folding.

Another thought would be to download folding at home software again. That worked for me a half dozen times. When one does that the system 'chooses' the best devices on each computer to employ. Finally you could check if your processors were still supported by Folding at Home.

9. Top | #399
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Interesting thoughts, fromderinside. I'll first try installing the software again. I think that I still have the appropriate installs, including for the two Win XP machines.

10. Top | #400
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is several years old so it might have been posted already, but here's an explanation of folding if anyone's curious..

(View video on YouTube)
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.