Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Underground Rappers You Aren't Listening To

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

The Best Underground Rappers You Aren't Listening To

I have no one to talk about hip-hop with so I'm just going to put this here:

https://seatgeek.com/tba/music/the-t...-listening-to/

Some of the tunes in the article are instant classics.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Shouldn't Tupac count as an "underground" rapper?

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I prefer Aesop Rock over A$AP Rocky, and Wu-Tang over all these half ass rappers that can't make their own beats.

To know that you do not know is best. Not to know but to believe that you know is a disease. Only by seeing this disease as a disease can you be free of it. - Laozi

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    To know that you do not know is best. Not to know but to believe that you know is a disease. Only by seeing this disease as a disease can you be free of it. - Laozi

5. Top | #5
    kudos for immortal technique, so here's some 3rd world rap. pitch black afro (zulus knock out their front two teeth for beautification)

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Riff Raff and Danny Brown rock my world

Japanese breakers Hifana are another favourite. They're a hoot

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Not to hijack the thread. But I'm trying to get into hip hop. I'm in love with the beats and the sampling style, especially DJ Premier, J Dilla, and that ilk. But every time I try to enjoy a hip hop some with actual lyrics, I come up short. Most of them seem to primarily rap about how good they are at rapping, or how hard things are in the ghetto. Not that there's anything wrong with either of those topics, but there must be other stuff they care about. Right now the only MC I really dig is MC Ride from Death Grips. His lyrics are abstract and chaotic, full of self-loathing at the same time as they are braggadocious. I've never come across another guy who can rap in that way. Any suggestions, or am I listening to the wrong genre?

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    Not to hijack the thread. But I'm trying to get into hip hop. I'm in love with the beats and the sampling style, especially DJ Premier, J Dilla, and that ilk. But every time I try to enjoy a hip hop some with actual lyrics, I come up short. Most of them seem to primarily rap about how good they are at rapping, or how hard things are in the ghetto. Not that there's anything wrong with either of those topics, but there must be other stuff they care about. Right now the only MC I really dig is MC Ride from Death Grips. His lyrics are abstract and chaotic, full of self-loathing at the same time as they are braggadocious. I've never come across another guy who can rap in that way. Any suggestions, or am I listening to the wrong genre?
    Hip hop doesn't talk to your brain. It talks to your ass. Hip hop is fundamentaly dance music. It's all rhythm. Try listening to it standing up. It should be an all body experience.

I have never a clue what the words mean. Don't hear them. In hip hop the voice is just a percussion device. That's what makes it special. Listen for the rhythm!

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Try listening to the Hamilton soundtrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Death Grips are the strangest and most distorted kida stuff I've heard in the past couple years, PyramidHead. Bitch Please is intense, and I looped it in the truck for all day listening many a time. If you can play it down to 33rpm its like a friggin rap black mass. Spooky and just unconventional sound. Das Racist has some strange side projects. Everything is so weirded out in rap lately. As far as actual substance I've got to vote for Immortal Technique. He's not much of a lecturer but he can write and speak some unmatched stuff in a studio huh.

(View video on YouTube)

This guy raps with his eyes closed, so we know he isn't reading from his phone or whatever. He is the best I know of, as far as unsigned and relatively unknown. And white. Untreated vocals and just a dude in his room doing it right.