Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Science says Bible and Quran are equivalent

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Science says Bible and Quran are equivalent

I've read both the Bible and the Quran (several translations). When comparing them I used a variety of metrics and I couldn't find any relative difference. They might as well have been the same book.

As it turns out, it wasn't just my opinion. Here's a textual analysis where simple word counts and expressions have simply been tallied.

http://odintext.com/blog/textanalysisbible2of3/

Whatever argument you have for relative moral merits of Islam vs Christianity you've got to find that difference some place else than their religious texts.

The more you know

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    I've read both the Bible and the Quran (several translations). When comparing them I used a variety of metrics and I couldn't find any relative difference. They might as well have been the same book.

As it turns out, it wasn't just my opinion. Here's a textual analysis where simple word counts and expressions have simply been tallied.

Whatever argument you have for relative moral merits of Islam vs Christianity you've got to find that difference some place else than their religious texts.

The more you know
    :laughing-smiley-014

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Blech. You should read your own sources before drawing conclusions that they explicitly refute.

Quote Originally Posted by from the article
    Before sharing the first set of results with you here today, due to the sensitive nature of this topic, I feel obliged to reiterate that this analysis represents only a cursory, superficial view of just the texts, themselves. It is in no way intended to advance any agenda or to conclusively prove anyone’s point.
    First, the analysis is nothing more than counts of emotional words stripped of all context. It treats a quote like "hold those who harm others in contempt" as being more violent and less merciful than "hold those who show mercy in contempt", when by any reasonable analysis the latter is more pro violent and anti mercy.

Besides, the actual data show the Quran and Bible are quite different.

The Quran is 60% higher in fear and anxiety, and the OT is 15% higher in Anger. Violence stems from both fear and anger, so on whole the Quran would have more emotional expressions that promote violence than the OT or NT. Plus, his "positive" vs. "negative" emotion analysis is meaningless. He assumes "trust" is a positive emotion, but in fact many ideas of "trust" in these texts are that people should blindly trust in God's authority, including when God commands violence that seems immoral or unjustified from a secular or natural empathy viewpoint.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

The more you know
    Maybe if you look again at the state of Syria, Iraq, Iran, etc etc for past 30-40 years you might see some difference in results. But you will say all this is a result of evil European colonialists. (Sweden excepted - it can do little wrong - right?)

You keep ignoring the fact that Xtianity underwent a Reformation, and Europe -- a Renaissance, Enlightment, American, French and other Revolutions, when that part of the world just underwent rule by the Islamic Ottoman Empire.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4321lynx View Post

The more you know
    Maybe if you look again at the state of Syria, Iraq, Iran, etc etc for past 30-40 years you might see some difference in results. But you will say all this is a result of evil European colonialists. (Sweden excepted - it can do little wrong - right?)

You keep ignoring the fact that Xtianity underwent a Reformation, and Europe -- a Renaissance, Enlightment, American, French and other Revolutions, when that part of the world just underwent rule by the Islamic Ottoman Empire.
    The Reformation did not pacify or increase the tolerance of Christianity. IF anything, the sects that arose from the Reformation are the more intolerant and aggressive withing Christianity. Christianity, when sincerely believed, is the authoritarian and intolerant worldview it always was designed to be. What happened is the secularization via the Enlightenment which weakened Christianities influence and power in society and on the personal values and beliefs of people who live in countries where Christianity is the dominant (but still weak) religion. There are no Christian nations, and that is what subdues Christianity from being able to realize its full negative impact.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    ...They might as well have been the same book.
    A lot of similarities that's for sure. Muhammad the copycat. #wannabe

...Whatever argument you have for relative moral merits of Islam vs Christianity you've got to find that difference some place else than their religious texts.
    Hang on! LOL
    Look somewhere else?
    Arent the religious texts THE basis for comparison?

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Both religions borrowed from the Jews. No surprise, seeing Xtianity started as a Jewish sect or heresy, and the Old Testament Bible got a boost at the Reformation; and Mecca and Medina were full of Jewish merchants.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Muhammad used the Torah as the foundation (in part) for his theology, and wanted the Jews of Mecca to accept his new religion but his advances were ultimately rejected.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    Blech. You should read your own sources before drawing conclusions that they explicitly refute.

Quote Originally Posted by from the article
    Before sharing the first set of results with you here today, due to the sensitive nature of this topic, I feel obliged to reiterate that this analysis represents only a cursory, superficial view of just the texts, themselves. It is in no way intended to advance any agenda or to conclusively prove anyone’s point.
    First, the analysis is nothing more than counts of emotional words stripped of all context. It treats a quote like "hold those who harm others in contempt" as being more violent and less merciful than "hold those who show mercy in contempt", when by any reasonable analysis the latter is more pro violent and anti mercy.

Besides, the actual data show the Quran and Bible are quite different.

The Quran is 60% higher in fear and anxiety, and the OT is 15% higher in Anger. Violence stems from both fear and anger, so on whole the Quran would have more emotional expressions that promote violence than the OT or NT. Plus, his "positive" vs. "negative" emotion analysis is meaningless. He assumes "trust" is a positive emotion, but in fact many ideas of "trust" in these texts are that people should blindly trust in God's authority, including when God commands violence that seems immoral or unjustified from a secular or natural empathy viewpoint.
    I agree on your critique if textual analysis. But how else compare religious texts?

I remember counting mentions of the importance of forgiveness. Twice as often in the Quran. Do Muslims forgive twice as often as Christians? Hardly.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4321lynx View Post

The more you know

Which just proves my point, context is more important than what's printed in our holy texts. People can and do justify any behaviour with the Quran.which is what Christians do as well with the Bible.