Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Horns Up Heavy Metal fans?

1. Top | #1

Horns Up Heavy Metal fans?

Reprising an age-old-former-board-thread: Metal fans unite, anyone have any new, worthwhile recommendations?

Not really picky about the sub-genres, just hoping to be wowed by some fresh bands. Just checked out the new track from the upcoming Down EP and was not impressed, Anselmo just sounds...old.

Machine Head's new album sounds promising, Killers and Kings.

Whatchu got?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I was impressed with Death Angel's new release "Dream Calls for Blood". Suitably Thrashy. Some of the newer Venom releases are pretty good too. "Fallen Angels" has a nice growl to it, but it is still Venom, so not too overly complicated. I'll have to look more to see what else is new(ish) that I can recommend.

3. Top | #3
    Quote Originally Posted by FatherTorque666 View Post
    I was impressed with Death Angel's new release "Dream Calls for Blood". Suitably Thrashy. Some of the newer Venom releases are pretty good too. "Fallen Angels" has a nice growl to it, but it is still Venom, so not too overly complicated. I'll have to look more to see what else is new(ish) that I can recommend.
    I'll take a peek on those, thx for the rec! Recently got into Abandon All Ships and We Came As Romans- both have a touch of the "NuMetal" sound but extraordinary guitar work.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The new(ish) album by Jason Newsted, Heavy Metal Music, is pretty damn good. Jason is singing lead on it, and his voice reminds me of Chuck Billy. Hell, the entire album has a Testament vibe to it, definitely worth a listen.

On the stoner metal front, there is Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats album Mind Control, which I have been digging on since it came out last year. Fu Manchu has a new album out as well, Gigantoid, I just picked it up the other day and have only listened a couple of times, but it is sounding good. Red Fang has a new album out as well, Whales and Leeches, which I don't like quite as much as their previous two albums, but it is still decent.

If you don't have the new Clutch album, Earth Rocker, yet, why the fuck not?

As far as new bands go:
    If you like female fronted metal, there is The Butcher Babies. They sound a bit like In This Moment when they were still metal, but a lot heavier.

Battlecross is pretty kickass, I saw them open for Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom last year, and was pretty impressed with their set. They have two albums out now, go find them.

Finally (for this post), there is Scorpion Child. I saw them open for Clutch last year before their first album came out, and they were pretty awesome, though they lean a bit more toward hard rock than metal.

5. Top | #5
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post
    The new(ish) album by Jason Newsted, Heavy Metal Music, is pretty damn good. Jason is singing lead on it, and his voice reminds me of Chuck Billy. Hell, the entire album has a Testament vibe to it, definitely worth a listen.
    Yeah, not bad and it's good to see Newsted get out of the "collaborations only club." Amazing what a bunch of metal Canadians can put together outside of the abomination known as Nickelback.

On the stoner metal front, there is Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats album Mind Control, which I have been digging on since it came out last year. Fu Manchu has a new album out as well, Gigantoid, I just picked it up the other day and have only listened a couple of times, but it is sounding good. Red Fang has a new album out as well, Whales and Leeches, which I don't like quite as much as their previous two albums, but it is still decent.
    I'll check 'em out.

If you don't have the new Clutch album, Earth Rocker, yet, why the fuck not?
    The fuck yes. Still one of the best live, metal acts of all time.

As far as new bands go:
    If you like female fronted metal, there is The Butcher Babies. They sound a bit like In This Moment when they were still metal, but a lot heavier

Not typically, I tend to really dig chicks fronting industrial acts far more than metal, just doesn't carry the same weight in my slightly buzzed opinion.

Battlecross is pretty kickass, I saw them open for Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom last year, and was pretty impressed with their set. They have two albums out now, go find them.
    Did my due diligence and checked these guys out and was pretty damn impressed. Picked up a few tracks to let 'em grow on me. Force Fed Lies sold me on them.

Finally (for this post), there is Scorpion Child. I saw them open for Clutch last year before their first album came out, and they were pretty awesome, though they lean a bit more toward hard rock than metal.
    Definitely straight up rock. I dig the vibe though, would make for great cruising music provided you aren't driving a Prius.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Most of the new metal bands I hear about come from the site metalsucks.net. Here's a couple I've seen recently that I would recommend. These may not be new but I just heard about them recently so there's a good chance others haven't either.

7. Top | #7
    It's overwhelming (no particular thanks to technology) to how much access we have to music these days, almost to the point of too many bands to scrutinize. Death Angel is solid. Saw GoatWhore live a few years ago, I think they signed to Anselmo's record label? Wasn't a huge fan as they sound somewhat formulaic. If anyone is into a slightly doomier, sludgier, semi-industrial metal sound, check out Author and Punisher.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Celldweller View Post
    If anyone is into a slightly doomier, sludgier, semi-industrial metal sound, check out Author and Punisher.
    Hell yeah, I think I've seen Author & Punisher open for somebody else, and I liked it. It's a one man solo band, correct? Maybe I was a little drunk both times I saw Goatwhore live, but I thought they were pretty impressive.

[Edit] Yeah, now I remember. I saw Author & Punisher open for Phil Anselmo and the Illegals. I bought a A&P shirt, but then I lost it in the mostpit when Anselmo played a Pantera song and I got pushed into a wall by the crazy Pantera fans.

9. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Hell yeah, I think I've seen Author & Punisher open for somebody else, and I liked it. It's a one man solo band, correct? Maybe I was a little drunk both times I saw Goatwhore live, but I thought they were pretty impressive.

[Edit] Yeah, now I remember. I saw Author & Punisher open for Phil Anselmo and the Illegals. I bought a A&P shirt, but then I lost it in the mostpit when Anselmo played a Pantera song and I got pushed into a wall by the crazy Pantera fans.
    Nice! Would love to catch an 'Illegals show sometime. Going to chicago in Sept to catch the Coldwaves festival- Fear Factory is headlining, Author and Punisher on set too.
    Last edited by Celldweller; 05-14-2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Beer

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here's a song from one of my favorite metal bands.