Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tea Thread

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

The Tea Thread

In reference to this post here's a thread about tea.

Who's a tea drinker? What teas do you drink?

I switched from coffee to mostly black tea back in December, myself. There's a local tea shop at the central market here that does a lot of 'natural' teas, many blacks, greens, rooibos, herbals, fruit.. etc. I've been experimenting with different blacks over the last few months. Also have a horde of other teas kicking around at home and at work, including lavender, chamomile, oolong, jasmine, and on and on. Usually caffeinated before 4, decaffeinated after 4.

So whaddaya like?

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I live in the south, where iced tea rules. I am a self confessed iced tea addict. I prefer black tea, unsweetened with lemon. I drink way too much of it. I also like hot Jasmine tea when I have Thai food. I've experimented with many varieties of tea, including fruited teas, both hot or iced. But, in the end, I remain a fan of traditional black tea. Tetley is currently my favorite brand. I am hopelessly addicted to it, but I do make it very weak so the caffeine content isn't too high.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I live in the south, where iced tea rules. I am a self confessed iced tea addict. I prefer black tea, unsweetened with lemon. I drink way too much of it. I also like hot Jasmine tea when I have Thai food. I've experimented with many varieties of tea, including fruited teas, both hot or iced. But, in the end, I remain a fan of traditional black tea. Tetley is currently my favorite brand. I am hopelessly addicted to it, but I do make it very weak so the caffeine content isn't too high.
    When you say iced tea, what is it that you mean? I know the term differs from some areas of the states to Ontario. Here, iced tea usually means a drink like an uncarbonated pop, usually very sugary. I'd take it the Southern version of iced tea is a chilled, and mildly sweetened black?

My partner and I will often maked 'iced tea' likely what you're probably used to, but it's not in the classical sense of how people here use the term. In the summer we'll brew fruitier teas and chill them. Will have to do a black a few times this year.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I suspect what I drink is not really considered tea! But I really like Winn Dixie brand powdered lemon tea! Used to be labeled under the Astor brand.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I used to prefer coffee over tea like most American until I worked a job where most of my co-workers were Chinese. They got me hooked on the good stuff.

Hot or cold, I prefer my tea strong and unsweetened.

Unless it's cheap nasty tea. Then sometimes I like to sweeten it up as it helps cover up the flavor or add flavor in the first place. I prefer getting at least a few loose tea leaves in the bottom of the cup, because that is a sign someone isn't using cheap ass supermarket tea.

I generally don't care for green tea unless it's with a Japanese meal.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    In reference to this post here's a thread about tea.

Who's a tea drinker? What teas do you drink?
    Mushroom! J/K, haven't had that much since my college days.

Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    I switched from coffee to mostly black tea back in December, myself. There's a local tea shop at the central market here that does a lot of 'natural' teas, many blacks, greens, rooibos, herbals, fruit.. etc. I've been experimenting with different blacks over the last few months. Also have a horde of other teas kicking around at home and at work, including lavender, chamomile, oolong, jasmine, and on and on. Usually caffeinated before 4, decaffeinated after 4.

So whaddaya like?
    A few years ago I switched from coffee to tea in the mornings, because coffee was really starting to bother my stomach. Turned out it was the crap Ronoco coffee that the company I was working for kept around for free. Once I discovered that some very good coffee can be had fairly cheaply, I started to drink coffee again, but limit myself to a cup a day.

While I was drinking tea instead of coffee, I generally went for Oolong tea, or Bigelow's Raspberry Roayale Black Tea. If I have a cold, or sore throat in general, I will usually drink several cups of lemon herbal tea throughout the day.

I also enjoy the unsweet iced tea with lemon that southernhybrid mentions (it's my southern heritage) at lunch or dinner. Southern iced tea is a black tea, brewed, and then immediately poured over ice, melting the ice entirely. When served, it is poured over ice in the glass as well. This generally results in a pretty weak black tea, which is compensated for by drinking a lot of it. It can either be sweetened or unsweetened, but when it is sweetened, it is generally very sweet. There is a peculiar variety of iced tea called sun tea, where the tea isn't actually brewed, but set out in the sun for a few hours in a very large jar (several gallons). Sun tea is not iced until it is served, and is usually much stronger than your typical iced tea.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A friend came over today, and I delighted in sharing some of my tea varieties from T2.

I don't mind a cup of black tea from time to time. I enjoy English Breakfast and Earl Grey. They produce one here in Australia called 'Australian Afternoon' tea which is also quite nice. These teas I prefer brewed in a pot (though a tea bag will do at a pinch) and served with a little milk, no sugar.

With regards to other teas, I currently have several varieties in my cupboard from T2; including Twinkle Berry, Gone Surfing, Sleep Tight and Red, Green and Delicious. These one, I like brewed in a cup with the tea leaves in an infuser, and with a teaspoon dipped in honey and with most of the honey run off it (if that makes sense).

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ice cold southern normal cheap tea like they serve at restaurants in the south. Prefer sweet but drink unsweet at home.

As to hot tea, no thank you. As to all them fancy one's, no thank you. Sure, if I'm in an unusual setting where fitting in with the try something new crowd (yack), I'll play the role; otherwise, I'm far happier with what I'm used to.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    A friend came over today, and I delighted in sharing some of my tea varieties from T2.

I don't mind a cup of black tea from time to time. I enjoy English Breakfast and Earl Grey. They produce one here in Australia called 'Australian Afternoon' tea which is also quite nice. These teas I prefer brewed in a pot (though a tea bag will do at a pinch) and served with a little milk, no sugar.

With regards to other teas, I currently have several varieties in my cupboard from T2; including Twinkle Berry, Gone Surfing, Sleep Tight and Red, Green and Delicious. These one, I like brewed in a cup with the tea leaves in an infuser, and with a teaspoon dipped in honey and with most of the honey run off it (if that makes sense).
    For summer I like a tea called "Red Zinger". "Red Zinger Tea, from Celestial Seasonings, blends tart and tangy Chinese hibiscus with fruity Thai hibiscus, balanced by cool, refreshing peppermint and the unique, earthy sweetness of wild cherry bark". Served icy cold.

10. Top | #10
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Trying out my "extra caffeine" black tea. It's good, but I was hoping for stronger flavor as well as extra caffeine. For as cheap as it is, it's great.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.