Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: The Tea Thread

1. Top | #181
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Holy Basil is pulling away as my go to for stress relief. Takes the edge off without putting me to sleep. After drinking a ton of sedative tea I'd break them down to something like this:

Holy Basil - De-stresses without putting me to sleep or tiring me out mentally

Mint - Acts as a body relaxant but makes mental focus more difficult

Chamomile - Makes me sleepy but doesn't knock me right out

Lavender - Strong enough and it's like a sleeping pill

Valerian Root - Strong sedative but tastes terrible

A few weeks ago I bought the same amount of the first four, and noticed that I go through Peppermint and Holy Basil much faster than Chamomile or Lavender, which speaks to the fact that I don't often need sedatives to get to sleep these days. But Peppermint and Tulsi act as good relaxants in lieu of beer or liquor.

2. Top | #182
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My parents brought me back tea directly from the Nuwara Eliya estate in Sri Lanka yesterday. It's good.

Tastes a bit fresher than the stuff I get from the same estate at my local, but that could be my imagination.

3. Top | #183
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yesterday I picked up a tea I'd never tried before, called Pitta Balance, which is a mixture of Hibiscus, Peppermint, Lemon Grass, Rose Petals, Calendula Petals, and Red Clover. Definitely a floral taste, which is new. Not a tea I'd normally drink, but thought I'd switch it up a bit.

Also picked up a small packet of Nuwara Eliya to compare with the stuff my parents brought me, and can confirm (and so can the tea shop owner) that the freshness of the stuff directly from the plantation is not my imagination.

4. Top | #184
    try a cold tea. i love tea, every morning i need to take a tea.

5. Top | #185
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I still hold that the word 'tea' exclusively refers to drinks made using the leaves of the camelia sinensis plant, and that the use of other leaves renders the resulting drink something other than 'tea'.

Those who use the word tea in other contexts should apologise for any infusion this may cause.

6. Top | #186
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Top | #187
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    I still hold that the word 'tea' exclusively refers to drinks made using the leaves of the camelia sinensis plant, and that the use of other leaves renders the resulting drink something other than 'tea'.
    Those other drinks are technically tinctures, or "tea" for short.

Those who use the word tea in other contexts should apologise for any infusion this may cause.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

8. Top | #188
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Those other drinks are technically tinctures, or "tea" for short.

Tisane

https://www.teaclass.com/lesson_0103.html

A confusing aspect of learning about tea is that many of the beverages which are called "tea" are actually not tea. Herbal teas, which tea experts term Tisanes (a French word for "herbal infusion"), are usually dried flowers, fruits or herbs steeped in boiling water (no actual tea leaves are included). Historically consumed for medicinal reasons or as a caffeine-free alternative, many tisanes (tih-ZANN) are beginning to find their own popularity outside the tea world. An interesting note: in Europe and some other countries, the use of the word "tea" is legally regulated to only apply to Camellia sinensis. Not so here in the United States...so don't feel bad if you've been confused!
    Cheerful Charlie

9. Top | #189
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No matches for matcha?

Okay.

Dwight

10. Top | #190
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I always found the brighter green teas (senchas, matchas, but mostly senchas) had too much caffeine to do much for my anxiety.

What's done more for my anxiety than anything else is cutting the caffeine levels in my coffee. These days I drink about three cups of strong 33% caf coffee a day. So one cup of coffee stretched out over the morning and afternoon in three doses. The difference to my mood is like night and day - no problems waking up, few problems socializing, never any problems getting to sleep at night. And I also don't crave my sedative herbals at night anymore either. My brain's just doing what it's supposed to do.

In retrospect the amount of caffeine I drank before was shocking, and my next question is how or when to push that 33% down further.