Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tea Thread

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Keep Talking explained the southern version of ice tea very well, but traditionally southern style ice tea was very sweet. These days a lot of people drink it unsweetened or half/half when they eat out. Half and half has become so popular that if you ask for half and half ice tea in most any restaurant in Georgia, they know exactly what you mean. Half of the tea comes from the unsweetened pitcher and half from the sweetened one. My husband drinks it that way. I think it developed because people are trying to cut back on their sugar intake, but can't quite give up all of the sweet taste.

Very few restaurants in the north make ice tea correctly. When I go back to my home state of NJ, I am not usually satisfied with how they make ice tea up there. I sometimes bring my coffee maker which I use exclusively for making tea. My family marvels over how good my tea taste, which always amuses me since any idiot can make ice tea in a coffee maker. Simply put one or two tea bags where the coffee usually goes and let it brew. Best to drink it all in a couple of hours or it tastes awful. Just don't use the same maker for both coffee and tea or your tea will have a remnant of coffee taste.

I've made ice tea with Red Zinger. It's not bad. I'm pretty sure I've had Orange Zinger as well. I've also mixed it with peach or cherry tea. Hot tea is okay. I have all kinds of fancy tea cups for it, but I'm afraid I'm stuck on the cold stuff these days. My husband likes hot Ginseng tea, but it doesn't appeal to me.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So far I'm a fan of green tea, English breakfast tea, Earl Grey, and peppermint tea.

3. Top | #13
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My favorite morning teas at the moment are Harrods Strong Breakfast (a luxury gift) and Tazo Breakfast or whatever it's called black tea (affordable, superior to other affordables available to me). The Bigelow $2-a-box, bagged, extra caffeine tea will do nicely to save money and still have a very nice tea drinking experience every morning.

Afternoon and evening, I prefer Tazo Wild Orange or Bigelow green tea with lemon to which I add a tbsp or two of lemon juice.

So far, after trying almost all of them, Bigelow makes only these two good-ish teas. The rest are nope nope nope. The fruity ones taste like stale kool-aid and the rest of the herbals are boring and bland. The greens or blacks or whites with flavor added are equally unappealing except for the lemon. i think I remember trying the mint and finding it suitable in a pinch with dried mint or something else added.

I haven't bought Teavana teas in a while, but I might look up the names of them for the thread later. They make some really wonderful teas, rolled and loose.

Oh, I also received two kinds of Chinese black rolled tea from a friend last year (xmas gift) and they were pretty good, nicely 'fermenty' or whatever the term is. I can't find these teas online because there's no English on the package or anything in the only alphabet I understand for me to type in. The empty tins are also handy and attractive stash boxes.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've always been a tea drinker - hot and cold. Never drank coffee at all until a few years ago.

My current favorite hot tea is
    Tazo's Wild Sweet Orange Herbal Infusion is a nice orange herbal tea. It contains lemongrass, blackberry leaves, citric acid, rose hips, spearmint leaves, natural flavors, orange peel, safflowers, hibiscus flowers, rose petals, natural orange essence, ginger root and licorice root.
    I also love a Youthberry white tea and Wild Orange Blossom herbal tea blend (Teavana) and Stash English Breakfast tea

There is also a "White Ambrosia" tea they serve at Devon Seafood that I love, but I don't know the brand.

ETA: Found it, now I will have to order it

WHITE AMBROSIA

Rarest Pai Mu Tan white tea is a plucked in early spring from a special varietal tea bush called “chaicha”. Blended with fragrant Madagascar vanilla and the tropical tease of island coconut. Delicate, refreshing and divine.
    - See more at: https://www.teaforte.com/store/gourm....oCNMc3GG.dpuf

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post
    I've always been a tea drinker - hot and cold. Never drank coffee at all until a few years ago.

My current favorite hot tea is

I also love a Youthberry white tea and Wild Orange Blossom herbal tea blend (Teavana) and Stash English Breakfast tea
    !!! I used to blend youthberry with several of their other teas. I haven't been there in a few years so I didn't know they went ahead and sold a blend. They used to only custom blend orders on demand, but that was a long running blend that they brewed for samples every day. I don't know of the orange was the one I regularly blended with youthberry, but I ordered big bags of each several times and they did not sit unused for long in my house.

There is also a "White Ambrosia" tea they serve at Devon Seafood that I love, but I don't know the brand.

ETA: Found it, now I will have to order it

WHITE AMBROSIA

Rarest Pai Mu Tan white tea is a plucked in early spring from a special varietal tea bush called “chaicha”. Blended with fragrant Madagascar vanilla and the tropical tease of island coconut. Delicate, refreshing and divine.
    - See more at: https://www.teaforte.com/store/gourm....oCNMc3GG.dpuf
    Sounds intriguing. Bookmarking. :thumsu:
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Keep Talking explained the southern version of ice tea very well, but traditionally southern style ice tea was very sweet. These days a lot of people drink it unsweetened or half/half when they eat out. Half and half has become so popular that if you ask for half and half ice tea in most any restaurant in Georgia, they know exactly what you mean. Half of the tea comes from the unsweetened pitcher and half from the sweetened one. My husband drinks it that way. I think it developed because people are trying to cut back on their sugar intake, but can't quite give up all of the sweet taste.

Very few restaurants in the north make ice tea correctly. When I go back to my home state of NJ, I am not usually satisfied with how they make ice tea up there. I sometimes bring my coffee maker which I use exclusively for making tea. My family marvels over how good my tea taste, which always amuses me since any idiot can make ice tea in a coffee maker. Simply put one or two tea bags where the coffee usually goes and let it brew. Best to drink it all in a couple of hours or it tastes awful. Just don't use the same maker for both coffee and tea or your tea will have a remnant of coffee taste.

I've made ice tea with Red Zinger. It's not bad. I'm pretty sure I've had Orange Zinger as well. I've also mixed it with peach or cherry tea. Hot tea is okay. I have all kinds of fancy tea cups for it, but I'm afraid I'm stuck on the cold stuff these days. My husband likes hot Ginseng tea, but it doesn't appeal to me.
    Reminds me of one of my first trips to the south (north eastern Mississippi). I was traveling alone on business and stopped at this little road side cafe in the middle of nowhere for lunch. I was an ice tea drinker (little or no sugar) back then. I knew about sweet tea, so I asked for ice tea, no sugar, and the waitress kind of gasped and looked at me like I had just farted. Anyway, I figured she got the message, but when I sipped the tea I nearly gagged. I couldn't believe how sweet it was. I couldn't finish it...it was just way too sweet. I also learned in the South that when you order a coke, you need to be prepared to be asked, "what kind of coke? Orange coke? Sprite coke? Dr Pepper coke?"

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I still have some mint I dried and tried to stretch as long as possible. That's the last of it in the photo. Down to just a little. It was an especially good mint and still has a strong smell and taste after at least a year with no moisture problems due to these nifty tea canisters I got at Ikea a while back. Very good seal on those things.

The Authoritarians

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hylidae View Post
    I still have some mint I dried and tried to stretch as long as possible. That's the last of it in the photo. Down to just a little. It was an especially good mint and still has a strong smell and taste after at least a year with no moisture problems due to these nifty tea canisters I got at Ikea a while back. Very good seal on those things.

A friend of mine at school has a lemon myrtle tree. Each week, he brings in a branch, puts it in water and uses a couple of leaves in his tea most days.

The idea of doing the same with Mint etc when I am able to grow it, is a good one.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hylidae View Post
    A friend of mine at school has a lemon myrtle tree. Each week, he brings in a branch, puts it in water and uses a couple of leaves in his tea most days.

The idea of doing the same with Mint etc when I am able to grow it, is a good one.
    Yeah, and so easy!

We have good mint growing all over the ground here. One of my former neighbors and I used to go out each day to the mailbox to get mail and also to pinch some mint leaves off where it grew on the ground next to the boxes. It's good dried, too. I usually just buy a few pots of different kinds and grow them on the porch, dry them in the house.
    The Authoritarians

10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Stepped up my tea game today and got one of these:

For home and at work from David's.

Their tea is a bit much for me, but their mugs/infusers are fantastic.