Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. women soccer players charge pay discrimination

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

U.S. women soccer players charge pay discrimination

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/31/news....html?adkey=bn
    "The women's team does the identical work as the men's team, except they have outperformed in every way," said Jeffrey Kessler, a lawyer who represents the women. "The U.S. Soccer Federation made profit of $16 million on women's team last year. It had a loss on men's team."

Kessler said the women filed a complaint Wednesday evening with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the federal agency that enforces equal pay law. It's the first step in what could become a touchstone in the debate about the pay gap between men and women.
    Good for them.

2. Top | #2
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The women's team does the identical work as the men's team
    :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I scribbled on a piece of paper yesterday. since I do the IDENTICAL WORK as the artist Bansky, I expect to sell that piece of paper for $1,000,000... or else I am being treated unfairly.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They seem confused between a "we do equal work" argument (which is complete garbage) and a "we draw in more revenue" argument (which may be full of merit).

The other aspect missing here is that in general playing for the national team is not about making money.

My sense is Ronaldo, Messi and the other big money guys make their money at their clubs and play for the national team more for pride.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dismal View Post
    They seem confused between a "we do equal work" argument (which is complete garbage) and a "we draw in more revenue" argument (which may be full of merit).

The other aspect missing here is that in general playing for the national team is not about making money.

My sense is Ronaldo, Messi and the other big money guys make their money at their clubs and play for the national team more for pride.

That brings an interesting question. Does the team have to pay more to draw top talent compared to a women's team?

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradoatheist View Post

That brings an interesting question. Does the team have to pay more to draw top talent compared to a women's team?
    Well, that's my point. I'm not sure national teams have to pay much at all. It isn't a full-time gig, and people are generally honored to be named.

On the other hand, the fact that the men can make more money in their clubs may be an argument to pay the women a bigger stipend so they don't take jobs outside the sport.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Well, that's my point. I'm not sure national teams have to pay much at all. It isn't a full-time gig, and people are generally honored to be named.

On the other hand, the fact that the men can make more money in their clubs may be an argument to pay the women a bigger stipend so they don't take jobs outside the sport.
    But if the team can get the best women by paying half while they can't do that for men, it's the opposite argument.

8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

But if the team can get the best women by paying half while they can't do that for men, it's the opposite argument.
    I'm not convinced they have to pay to get the men either.

If you are a USMNT quality player you can make a good living playing club soccer and stay decently fit and ready outside of the national team breaks.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

If you are a USMNT quality player you can make a good living playing club soccer and stay decently fit and ready outside of the national team breaks.
    Then they should cut the mens pay to equal the women.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Then they should cut the mens pay to equal the women.
    In looking at the OP link it's not even clear to me who "they" is. If we are talking about FIFA prizes for the world cup it's reasonably safe to say there's no effing way that's going to happen. The men's world cup probably draws about 3 billion more viewer's than the women's.

As far as the pay from the US federation for playing exhibition games, maybe that should be made more equal. No information was provided on revenues generated by these games. It is my general observation that Americans care about women's soccer every 4 years when the word cup comes around and not much in between. The articles seem to cherrypick stats about world cup ratings and profit in world cup years which may not even be slightly representative.