Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: fine tuning argument

1. Top | #1
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

fine tuning argument

I have read about the fine tuning argument and assume all of you are familiar with its contents.

I have read that the fine tune believers claim that statistically speaking, out of all potential universes, more than likely we would have one where the most advanced particles of matter would be a hydrogen and helium atom, and that these would never be able to merge together to form anything like stars and so forth.

If this is this case, and theoretically speaking the universe had gone that way purely by chance, what would stop the hydrogen and helium atoms from deciding among themselves that the universe had been fine tuned for them and miraculously made by a god for them? Of course it is silly to think helium and hydrogen atoms could think or talk but I think you get my point.

2. Top | #2
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Like Douglas Adams' bit on the puddle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    “This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.”

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member braces_for_impact's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Fine tuning is such a specious argument. Of course, there's a lot of anthropomorphism going on. If there's anything that nature teaches us, is that we are not at the center of things. If the claim is that the universe is fine tuned for our existence, then surely we created clean rooms specifically for these types of bacteria to evolve, because they fit therein so well!

Instead some claim fine tuning, while they live on a fraction of a dot in a universe that that cannot sustain them directly. Forget the entire universe trying to kill us all, drop a human naked randomly anywhere on the planet and odds are they will die, and die quickly.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH View Post
    I have read that the fine tune believers claim that statistically speaking, out of all potential universes, more than likely we would have one where the most advanced particles of matter would be a hydrogen and helium atom, and that these would never be able to merge together to form anything like stars and so forth.
    Well, I don't think THAT is a fine-tuning argument. In that statement, they're saying that the complexity of the universe can only be explained by divine action.
    Not sure where they get these statistics, though. How many universes have they observed coming into being to figure out how often we get a H&H universe and nothing greater, without divine assistance?

5. Top | #5
    No one had a video camera when all this shit came into existence ∴ God did it motherfuckers.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    To me the flaw in the FTA is it assumes life that did not need the universe to exist created life that did need the universe to exist. To say that "life could not be possible without exactly these parameters" is to deny before the argument starts that whatever life created the universe could not have existed.

The other horn of that paradox is that life doesn't need exactly (or anywhere near) these parameters to exist, in which case the universe could have been created in any possible configuration desired and life then created to fit said universe.

Which isn't that far from just admitting that the universe evolved for billions of years before life began to emerge that could survive on at least one tiny dust-speck floating around in it.

But it's a far cry from the universe being created as a home for the likes of us. Statistically it remains 99.999999999999% lethal to our species.

8. Top | #8
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The fine tuning argument makes a big unfounded assumption. It assumes that the constants could be different. There is no reason to make such an assumption. Einstein addressed the question from the opposite direction by wondering whether god had any choice.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 04-19-2016 at 02:35 PM.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yup. An immortal being with the foresight to fine tune the universe to sustain life, rather than make life interesting. Totally logical.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If Linde, Guth et al are correct, the Universe is infinitely immense and infinitely old. By sheer chance then, a rare bubble universe that can sustain life is not a conceptual problem. It may be rare, rare rare, but with all infinity to play with, it will occur.

Somehow, I am told I must believe in an infinitely old, all powerful being that just exists, that's all. And can instantanously engineer this complex Universe. How? Mumble, mumble, magic.

I do not fint the fine tuniong argument to be a problem in an infinitely old and infinitely large Universe creating new island Universes all the time.

The theists might complain that the multi-Universe is highly theoretical and unproven, possibly unprovable. Well the theists have had several thousand years to prove their God exists and have failed. We now get thousands of years to figure this physics thing out.

God sounds rather unlikely to exist and has other problems such the concept's many internal self-contradictions. With a multi-Universe, the fine tuning problem isn't a problem.
    Cheerful Charlie