Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - The Next Motion Picture

1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Question Star Trek - The Next Motion Picture

So I was curious, what is the word on the street about the latest film. I'm pretty much boycotting remakes at this point. I know little about the film, well, nothing other than maybe people are stranded on a planet. JJ Abrams didn't write or direct, so that is a positive gain. But is this film a new movie or a rehash of a previous Star Trek film?

I try to avoid trailers, I read too well into them and that ruins movies for me.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'll probably watch it, but to be honest, I haven't been all that crazy about the current incarnation of Star Trek. Too "Star Wars-y" for my tastes.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    assuming you're talking about star trek: beyond, which is the next film in the rebooted franchise.
    it's directed by the guy who directed fast and the furious 2, the trailer is scored by a beastie boys song, and various insiders have commented it is unrecognizable as a star trek property.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    assuming you're talking about star trek: beyond, which is the next film in the rebooted franchise.
    it's directed by the guy who directed fast and the furious 2, the trailer is scored by a beastie boys song, and various insiders have commented it is unrecognizable as a star trek property.
    I suppose that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Seems like the studio wants a sure thing. Why make $500 million with an honest Star Trek product when you can make $1.0 billion with a cookie cutter approach. I saw Simon Pegg is part of the writing team. It doesn't look like he has written for this sort of project before. Shaun meets Star Trek?

5. Top | #5
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    I read that they kind of re-released the trailer without the Beastie Boys song because they wanted to dampen the talk that it's just going to be another Crash! Boom! Zing! Kapow! in space movie, but instead remains true to the franchise.

The first reboot with this cast was pretty good, and the second was pretty watchable too. So hopefully the first trailer from this newest one, which could have been entitled Fast Ships Blowing Shit Up in Space, isn't an indicator about the quality of this film.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
    I read that they kind of re-released the trailer without the Beastie Boys song because they wanted to dampen the talk that it's just going to be another Crash! Boom! Zing! Kapow! in space movie, but instead remains true to the franchise.
    They actually released a whole brand new trailer.

(View video on YouTube)

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    They actually released a whole brand new trailer.

(View video on YouTube)
    Meh. Don't think I'll bother.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member braces_for_impact's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It definitely seems more focused on action and appealing to a wider audience. I thought the new reboot was OK. What I'm curious about is the new series. I'm hoping that will be good although I have my doubts. I also don't understand why CBS is releasing the new ST series on their streaming service only. Are they too afraid to take a chance on regular television with the series? Or are they hoping the series will boost their streaming services?

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braces_for_impact View Post
    I also don't understand why CBS is releasing the new ST series on their streaming service only. Are they too afraid to take a chance on regular television with the series? Or are they hoping the series will boost their streaming services?
    The latter. CBS seems intent on competing with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon and are using the new Trek series as the hook. The first episode will be broadcast on CBS TV, and they're hoping that will drive subscriptions to CBS All Access. They've also said there's at least 4 other new shows that will debut on the service next year.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braces_for_impact View Post
    It definitely seems more focused on action and appealing to a wider audience. I thought the new reboot was OK. What I'm curious about is the new series. I'm hoping that will be good although I have my doubts. I also don't understand why CBS is releasing the new ST series on their streaming service only. Are they too afraid to take a chance on regular television with the series? Or are they hoping the series will boost their streaming services?
    They are likely trying to get people to pay for their streaming service. Trekies have proven to be fools with their money relative to Star Trek material.