Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If the new Ghostbusters movie is bad, what went wrong?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

If the new Ghostbusters movie is bad, what went wrong?

I am a bit surprised this has not been made into a thread yet.

Anyway, I am not trying to make this about the whole sideshow of the trailer and its mostly negative reception.

I guess that variables that are important are:

what made the original work? (script, director, actors, studio system of the time, practical effects and so on..)

I think that some directors and writers would match very well for this 2016 movie and some, while excellent elsewhere, would be terrible a fit.

I just don't see Paul Feig as a good fit, James Gunn would have been better. Take a time machine and transport some of the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz cast and writer/director in addition to the four female cast members and that would be incredible.

It is so hard to top the Reitman/Ramis combo (even ignoring the great actors of the original) for the light touch of the script. There weren't really many overly broad standalone slapstick jokes in the movie, it just flowed. The jokes in the new trailer are ok but are totally "wink wink" self aware which I think that Ghostbusters was not. Even the Blues Brothers was not self aware in that way - that is why it is so damn funny. Self awareness is such a dicey thing to use in comedy, working better in TV than movies. It clashes so badly with the tone and methods of the original ghostbusters that it is painful.

The only character that came close to the attitude of wink-wink to the audience in the original was Bill Murray's but only in his carefree attitude, the others were played very earnestly. The more serious, the more funny. The way the James Gunn handled the metaphor blind guy in Guardians, Drax, shows me he fits this bill.

I think that Gunn could have gotten McCarthy to be Murray-like very easily - though that is a high bar to meet.

Lastly, Ghostbusters was an adventure/quest/bonding/hero's journey movie more than a comedy movie. And the direct comedy was done mostly through Murray, Moranis and the situational humor with great use of the other "straight men" foils.

This non action scene from the movie between two of the straight men is great. Of the four main Ghostbusters, this conversation only makes sense between this pair. A Peter/Egon conversation would have been totally different.

An old clip of Moranis from that time:

Last edited by repoman; 05-31-2016 at 09:16 AM.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Wait, how can you already know what went wrong when the movie hasn't come out yet and you have no idea if it's good or not?

Oh.

That's right. This time they have female heroes instead of male heroes, therefore everything is horrible, and somehow this is evidence that men are being "persecuted." I forgot about your little persecution fantasy.

3. Top | #3
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This movie looks like it's going to suck. The idea of making it an all female cast was an interesting stunt which got it way more press than one more unecessary reboot probably deserved, but it seems to be fairly lame.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Wait, how can you already know what went wrong when the movie hasn't come out yet and you have no idea if it's good or not?

Oh.

That's right. This time they have female heroes instead of male heroes, therefore everything is horrible, and somehow this is evidence that men are being "persecuted."
    I'm going to have to remember this next Friday.

We go out to eat every week. And after the waiter/waitress takes our order and disappears, we all discuss what the chef got wrong with the food... Which hasn't been served yet.

But I never thought to justify my speculation by further speculating that the chef is a woman, that's why the veggies are (going to be) overcooked.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The original movie was about special effects, humor, a theme song, and the cohesion of the actors on the screen. Ghostbusters was very popular at the time, however, it wasn't exactly Raiders of the Ark sort of good. The issues the reboot is going to have is that the set up isn't automatic success. The second film wasn't that good.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Trailers aren't the movie. That being said, there is nothing that really excites me about this one either.

7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
    Trailers aren't the movie. That being said, there is nothing that really excites me about this one either.
    However, you can get a very good feel about a movie from the previews. I rarely get surprised. The Texas Civil War thing on History channel was a rare mishit for me on the preview.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Speaking of which, I wonder if there are any people who have not seen the original Ghostbusters who have filmed a reaction to both trailers.

So the original trailer really focused on the trough line of the story along with some comic and character points.

the 2016 trailer is cringey especially at the one minute mark, when it gets patronizing. Do we need to be told that these women are competent? They are ghostbusters they should be competent nerds that occasionally make mistakes.

This reminds me of a funny Mr Show skit with Sarah Silverman's line (I bet she wrote it) at about the 1:20 mark

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    i suspect it will be terrible for the same reason that i suspected the remakes of robocop, conan, vacation, total recall, alice in wonderland, annie, etc etc were going to be terrible (and it turns out that i was right for every single one of them, they were all terrible):
    taking a beloved "classic" lightning-in-a-bottle genre film that is still held fairly strongly in the cultural zeitgeist and then shitting out a remake that nobody asked for or wanted which is (inevitably) either totally different from the original (pissing off fans and making one wonder why the hell you bothered remaking the movie in the first place) or just a 90 minute long winking reference to the original is an unbelievably stupid idea that has basically never, ever, EVER worked out to make a film that was enjoyed or that made any decent amount of money.

you can get away with churning out reboots and remakes of properties that aren't movies in the first place (transformers, ninja turtles, etc) and you can make successful remakes out of smaller or more obscure films that were maybe loved at one time in the more distant past (most foreign film remakes, star wars) but making a slick and soulless remake of a film that is still very much in the cultural consciousness is patently ridiculous.

that is why the ghostbusters reboot will suck, if it sucks - because no venture of this type has ever not sucked in the history of film.
    Last edited by prideandfall; 05-31-2016 at 09:18 PM.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I agree with your points in a general sense though I thought that the Robocop remake with a very different tone was fairly good remake maybe because I was able to let go of my needing it to be the same. It seemed to go in the same tonal and plot direction from original to remake/reboot that Dredd did - though it was using the comic book.

However, given what I thought were very cool concepts, plot points and writing of the Robocop remake, I feel that it could have been an even better movie if it just put all of that into a non Robocop movie.

--------------------------------------------

But prideandfall, you don't think that James Gunn or the Shaun of the Dead crew could have make at least a funny-ish remake/reboot/sequel (passing of the torch style) of Ghostbusters?