Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Art vs interior decorating

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Art vs interior decorating

What's the difference between art and interior decoration? Is there a difference? Does art have to be aesthetically pleasing?

Deep questions

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    What's the difference between art and interior decoration? Is there a difference? Does art have to be aesthetically pleasing?

Deep questions
    Interior decoration is a form of art. Just as good landscaping, make up application and hairdressing.

There is a difference in the medium being used, but not the end result, something to be gazed upon and admired.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post

Deep questions
    Interior decoration is a form of art. Just as good landscaping, make up application and hairdressing.

There is a difference in the medium being used, but not the end result, something to be gazed upon and admired.
    In China, for example, some take Feng Shui to an art form...

4. Top | #4
    It seems to me that 'art' is not a thing but a way of looking at things. I forget who it was who presented an urinal as 'art', but he made the point well: it is often a graceful shape. I think we want to do a lot of re-definition.

5. Top | #5
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Art evokes emotion. That emotion need not be pleasant; but for obvious reasons, the most popular art is that which evokes pleasant emotions.

Interior design is a subset of art, intended for long term exposure - and again, for obvious reasons, some emotional prompts (including even some pleasant ones) are easier to live with in the long term than others.

Good interior design helps the people who occupy the space to feel things that are both appropriate to the setting, and appropriate to the likely duration of their exposure to that setting. A bedroom therefore requires a very different design from a boardroom; a bathroom should not be designed to evoke a similar response to that evoked by a kitchen.

6. Top | #6
    It definitely takes an artistic touch to make a home look nice. That's why my home looks like hell.

7. Top | #7
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
    It definitely takes an artistic touch to make a home look nice. That's why my home looks like hell.
    Yes, I can see how an Atheist and Freethinker might appreciate a 'Lord of the Underworld' theme.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Anything can be done artistically, but I would say that most interior design is no more "art" than picking out one's clothes in the morning.
    Is there a difference between interior decoration and interior design? Much interior design is done largely out of pragmatic goals, often with an effort towards minimizing the elicitation of any strong emotions or reflective thought. Also, much it is done with goal of emphasizing social status, and thus no more art than wearing a Rolex.

If interior decoration is art, then is buying and hanging a painting in your home an artistic act? Is it as artistic as what the painter of the painting did?

Although, I think it is sometimes done artistically, I don't view most interior decoration as particularly artistic and would bet that the people that do it professionally don't show notable artistic aptitudes in other mediums. I guess I agree with the view that whether a thing is art is determined by the mindset of the person that created it, whether that means physically created the object itself, or created a way of looking at it or feeling about it.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    I forget who it was who presented an urinal as 'art', but he made the point well: it is often a graceful shape.
    Marcel Duchamp

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Does art have to be aesthetically pleasing?
    I don't think so. IMO, art is more about meaning than beauty, about what it expresses rather than how it looks. For that reason, I don't think interior decorating can be considered art.