Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: We may not die

1. Top | #91
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I could never understand the fascination with down loading your mind. My mind controls the functions of my body and my mind is dependent on the physical structures of my brain. I have no problem with dying. I've seen a lot of people die. It's usually a relief at the end of a long life. We should just appreciate that we have had the chance to live. Think of all the sperm that never reach the egg, or all the eggs that are disposed of each month without ever having the chance to be fertilized. Then, be thankful that you were the rare result of an egg and sperm that met and grew into a human. I feel confident that we will all die and it's really nothing to fear. If you're lucky enough to have a peaceful death, it can be a much more gentle experience than birth. Stop fixating on the impossible and get out and enjoy what you have now.

2. Top | #92
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Death is a relief at the end of a long life of suffering, old age decline and disease, or even a short life that's full of suffering, but is it necessarily the case that death would be seen to be a relief if you could retain your youth, health and vitality indefinitely?

3. Top | #93
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Death is a relief at the end of a long life of suffering, old age decline and disease, or even a short life that's full of suffering, but is it necessarily the case that death would be seen to be a relief if you could retain your youth, health and vitality indefinitely?
    I don't know, but since that's not going to be an option, I can't take the idea too seriously. But if it were an option, life would probably get boring after awhile. We have a life cycle. Living indefinitely would cause an awful lot of changes to the life cycle and with unlimited lives, how would we manage to provide enough resources for a population that grows at an enormous rate? We go through various stages in life. I can't fathom how that would happen if life had no concrete ending. My 50s and 60s have been the best decades of my life so far. Why would I want to go back to my youth? It's really hard to wrap my head around living indefinitely. I'm not sure it would be the Utopian existence some imagine. I guess we will never know.

Research has pretty much affirmed that human life can't exist beyond a maximum of 115 years. And, very few manage to even come close to that age. Better we just accept reality and stop making fanciful dreams that will never become a reality. At least that's how I see it.

4. Top | #94
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...ie-thats-okay/

If you want to be happy, you must accept that you will die. And so will your loved ones. Yes, you and those you love will die. You each will end interminably and eventually be forgotten, and happiness in life demands realizing this fact.Realizing that you will die will not immediately make you happy. Quite the contrary. To find happiness in the shadow of death requires reckoning with it bravely and fiercely until the full light of life shines through. This light remains obscured until you know what death means for your life and the lives of those you love.
    Everything that matters becomes much more clear once you apprehend the facts of mortality. Truly knowing that you are going to die teaches what may be life’s most valuable lessons: life is short, some misery is guaranteed, and yet happiness, contentment, and fulfillment are possible. The clear conclusion that follows is that seizing happiness — and helping others to do so too — while we have the chance may be the only thing that makes sense to do with our time. So, the first thing to do is acknowledge is that you are going to die.
    I read this book review today and thought if fit in with this thread. It pretty much sums up most of my own feelings on death.