Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Thread to follow HUUUUUGE Teaparty protest in DC 5/16/2014 - 10 million patriots!!!

  1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    9,792
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    18,832
    Rep Power
    89

    Thread to follow HUUUUUGE Teaparty protest in DC 5/16/2014 - 10 million patriots!!!

    Yeah, that's sarcasm.

    I don't expect many, and with the weather even fewer. If any do show up, I can't wait to see their signs!

    Quote Originally Posted by national weather service
    Friday
    Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 2pm, then a chance of showers between 2pm and 4pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 71. Northwest wind 13 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

  2. Top | #2
    Administrator Mumbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,505
    Archived
    5,536
    Total Posts
    7,041
    Rep Power
    52
    Is this like that person who called on truckers to descend on DC and drive at exactly the speed limit to choke traffic*? Do these guys understand that people don't really have time for this sort of nonsense, and would much rather, you know, do their jobs and make money to pay bills and put food on the table? That, if you want to get people to actually come together, you need to really organize?

    *: These guys had clearly never driven near DC - driving fast enough to hit the speed limit on a workday would be a blessing.

  3. Top | #3
    Administrator lpetrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    11,331
    Archived
    16,829
    Total Posts
    28,160
    Rep Power
    87
    Yes, let's see how many show up. I doubt that there will be very many doing so. But their defenders will likely spin low turnout as evidence that the no-shows are working or are otherwise doing things that are much more virtuous than showing up at a demonstration.

  4. Top | #4
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    23,033
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    33,510
    Rep Power
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Yes, let's see how many show up. I doubt that there will be very many doing so. But their defenders will likely spin low turnout as evidence that the no-shows are working or are otherwise doing things that are much more virtuous than showing up at a demonstration.
    So, their defence of a low turnout, which detractors might see as being due to a lack of support for their cause, would be that people don't support their cause to the extent of being prepared to give up their time to go to a demonstration? That's not so much a 'defence'; more a 'capitulation'.

    The objective of such demonstrations is to show the powers that be how large and enthusiastic a support base you have for your cause. A low turnout really isn't defensible; it means you are, quite simply, wrong - you do not have a large and enthusiastic support base.

  5. Top | #5
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancre
    Posts
    10,452
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    24,887
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Yes, let's see how many show up. I doubt that there will be very many doing so. But their defenders will likely spin low turnout as evidence that the no-shows are working or are otherwise doing things that are much more virtuous than showing up at a demonstration.
    So, their defence of a low turnout, which detractors might see as being due to a lack of support for their cause, would be that people don't support their cause to the extent of being prepared to give up their time to go to a demonstration? That's not so much a 'defence'; more a 'capitulation'.

    The objective of such demonstrations is to show the powers that be how large and enthusiastic a support base you have for your cause. A low turnout really isn't defensible; it means you are, quite simply, wrong - you do not have a large and enthusiastic support base.
    It may be large or it may be enthusiastic, but not both.

  6. Top | #6
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    9,792
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    18,832
    Rep Power
    89
    is there any kind of Mall-Cam? We could check on their patriotishness live!

  7. Top | #7
    The Doctor's Wife RavenSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    10,705
    Archived
    11,804
    Total Posts
    22,509
    Rep Power
    48
    Another ten million are supposed to show up to Bundy's ranch in Nevada.

  8. Top | #8
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    9,792
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    18,832
    Rep Power
    89
    oh, yeah! I forgot about that! What AN EXCITING DAY!!!

  9. Top | #9
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    9,792
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    18,832
    Rep Power
    89
    Can anyone with high speed internet view this cam and post a screen-shot? (My cloud cover is too thick and the emfs are having a hard time jogging to the satellite and back today, plus I'm at 80% usage and they are about to put a speed limit on my emf highway)

    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/dc/washingtonmonument/

  10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    always on the move
    Posts
    1,246
    Archived
    801
    Total Posts
    2,047
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Can anyone with high speed internet view this cam and post a screen-shot? (My cloud cover is too thick and the emfs are having a hard time jogging to the satellite and back today, plus I'm at 80% usage and they are about to put a speed limit on my emf highway)

    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/dc/washingtonmonument/
    it is only displaying the Washington Monument live. Not much to see there.


Similar Threads

  1. 'Follow On' Word Game
    By Old Woman in Purple in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 3889
    Last Post: Today, 05:11 AM
  2. Replies: 103
    Last Post: 01-30-2015, 05:48 AM
  3. Brazil 2014--The FIFA World Cup Thread
    By MarkW in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 339
    Last Post: 07-15-2014, 03:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •