Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 230

Thread: I have now met a real life creationist.

  1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,791
    Archived
    5746
    Total Posts
    9537
    Rep Power
    37

    I have now met a real life creationist.

    Until this point in my life they've been like mythical beasts. I've lived my entire life in Scandinavia, and religious people are in short supply, not to mention the cooky one's. I'm positive we have more albino moose than creationists.

    Last week I went to Borderlands, the Scandinavian version of Burning Man. There I met a Christian girl who I got to know. We hung out and did psychadelics for a few days. That really acts to bond people. Awesome. At some point she said she didn't believe in ToE and... well... I'm not proud of myself. It kind of slipped out. I said, "Are you completely retarded". After which it turned into an argument of sorts. Well, mostly she being angry and me apologizing for hurting her feelings having said that hurtful thing.

    And that was essentially the gist of her argument. No real arguments. She just wanted her beliefs respected regardless if they were true or not. The fact that they were wrong didn't seem to enter into it. What really got her going was when I asked her if she thought the entire scientific schooling system is set up around teaching children lies. And why it would do that. I think that was the argument that really made her realize she was wrong, so therefore... naturally... this lead her to argue her case even more fervently.

    She sent me links to various American creationist sites with all the familiar "information" we're used to seeing here. When she noticed that I had a thorough grasp of evolutionary biology and could argue against every single of her arguments, without having to look shit up, she wasn't impressed by a massive brains a bit. Oh, no. She just said "you're just too proud to admit you are wrong".

    And that was that. I have now learned, based on statistical analysis of all the creationists I have met (ie 1) that they are very sexy, have big bouncy boobs and look great in hot pants and don't sleep with people who don't validate all their silly beliefs. BTW, she believed all manner of nonsense... it was Burning Man. That is to be expected by that crowd.

    The story didn't end there. Yesterday she called me up. She told me that she is writing a book. It's a fantasy book, where the stand ins for Mordor are atheists. And asked me to tell her what I believe so she could have the evil people also believe that. So I held a two hour long lecture on... well... how "I believe" biology works. She also got basic cosmology, big bang and quantum mechanics. I am 100% sure she will misunderstand every single thing I said. Probably replace ever scientific fact with "plot the spreading of lies evilly".

    So how was your weekend?

  2. Top | #2
    Super Moderator Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sector 001
    Posts
    4,392
    Archived
    14435
    Total Posts
    18827
    Rep Power
    39
    There's no doubt she will still demonize you. Asking you what you believe was merely a formality for the purpose of appearing to be reasonable.

    we have more albino moose than creationists.
    This gave me a good laugh this morning.
    The Authoritarians: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

    Americans, are you registered to vote?

  3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,791
    Archived
    5746
    Total Posts
    9537
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    There's no doubt she will still demonize you. Asking you what you believe was merely a formality for the purpose of appearing to be reasonable.

    we have more albino moose than creationists.
    This gave me a good laugh this morning.
    I doubt it, considering everybody she'll ever meet here is:
    1) very likely atheist
    And
    2) almost certainly believes in evolution.

    Since Sweden quite obviously isn't a wasteland of evil any arguments that lack of religion leads to evil is pretty dead in the water these parts.

    We just don't have creationists really. Nobody here becomes a creationist out of ignorance. It's more like picking a political ideology that you are 100% sure will annoy everybody.

    She also said she was a "anti-feminist". We hardly have those either. People here (even men) are feminists to varying degree. It's rare to find anybody who is just dead set against it. Especially a woman.

    I think she was just trying way too hard to be interesting.

  4. Top | #4
    Super Moderator Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sector 001
    Posts
    4,392
    Archived
    14435
    Total Posts
    18827
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    There's no doubt she will still demonize you. Asking you what you believe was merely a formality for the purpose of appearing to be reasonable.



    This gave me a good laugh this morning.
    I doubt it, considering everybody she'll ever meet here is:
    1) very likely atheist
    And
    2) almost certainly believes in evolution.

    Since Sweden quite obviously isn't a wasteland of evil any arguments that lack of religion leads to evil is pretty dead in the water these parts.

    We just don't have creationists really. Nobody here becomes a creationist out of ignorance. It's more like picking a political ideology that you are 100% sure will annoy everybody.

    She also said she was a "anti-feminist". We hardly have those either. People here (even men) are feminists to varying degree. It's rare to find anybody who is just dead set against it. Especially a woman.

    I think she was just trying way too hard to be interesting.
    Good point. Thank you for reminding me of my own cultural influences that make me assume all creationists are like the ones in the US.

    I'm glad you argued with her a little bit and didn't just let it slide due to it being a fringe belief. That shit spreads if not kept in check by outspoken reason.
    The Authoritarians: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

    Americans, are you registered to vote?

  5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    2,209
    Archived
    5039
    Total Posts
    7248
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    What really got her going was when I asked her if she thought the entire scientific schooling system is set up around teaching children lies. And why it would do that. I think that was the argument that really made her realize she was wrong, so therefore... naturally... this lead her to argue her case even more fervently.
    I'll remember that one.

    It is close to what I asked someone one time when he said he was a biblical creationist. After finding out he went to a "christian" college I asked him about the geology curriculum at his school, how it deals with the scientific consensus that the earth is billions of years old. His response was that "it just teaches the facts." I didn't know how to interpret that and didn't want to press it. Maybe one day I'll revisit that conversation.

  6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,935
    Rep Power
    12
    This thread should be titled "Sometimes you should just shut up and take it, especially when IT has tig ol' bitties."

  7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,806
    Archived
    14025
    Total Posts
    16831
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    This thread should be titled "Sometimes you should just shut up and take it, especially when IT has tig ol' bitties."
    Pronoun usage and being quick to apologize gives it away everytime.

  8. Top | #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Orions Belt
    Posts
    45
    Archived
    3911
    Total Posts
    3956
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Until this point in my life they've been like mythical beasts. I've lived my entire life in Scandinavia, and religious people are in short supply, not to mention the cooky one's. I'm positive we have more albino moose than creationists.

    Last week I went to Borderlands, the Scandinavian version of Burning Man. There I met a Christian girl who I got to know. We hung out and did psychadelics for a few days. That really acts to bond people. Awesome. At some point she said she didn't believe in ToE and... well... I'm not proud of myself. It kind of slipped out. I said, "Are you completely retarded". After which it turned into an argument of sorts. Well, mostly she being angry and me apologizing for hurting her feelings having said that hurtful thing.

    And that was essentially the gist of her argument. No real arguments. She just wanted her beliefs respected regardless if they were true or not. The fact that they were wrong didn't seem to enter into it. What really got her going was when I asked her if she thought the entire scientific schooling system is set up around teaching children lies. And why it would do that. I think that was the argument that really made her realize she was wrong, so therefore... naturally... this lead her to argue her case even more fervently.

    She sent me links to various American creationist sites with all the familiar "information" we're used to seeing here. When she noticed that I had a thorough grasp of evolutionary biology and could argue against every single of her arguments, without having to look shit up, she wasn't impressed by a massive brains a bit. Oh, no. She just said "you're just too proud to admit you are wrong".

    And that was that. I have now learned, based on statistical analysis of all the creationists I have met (ie 1) that they are very sexy, have big bouncy boobs and look great in hot pants and don't sleep with people who don't validate all their silly beliefs. BTW, she believed all manner of nonsense... it was Burning Man. That is to be expected by that crowd.

    The story didn't end there. Yesterday she called me up. She told me that she is writing a book. It's a fantasy book, where the stand ins for Mordor are atheists. And asked me to tell her what I believe so she could have the evil people also believe that. So I held a two hour long lecture on... well... how "I believe" biology works. She also got basic cosmology, big bang and quantum mechanics. I am 100% sure she will misunderstand every single thing I said. Probably replace ever scientific fact with "plot the spreading of lies evilly".

    So how was your weekend?
    That's funny.... I have a coworker from Sweden, and he's fond of telling people they are being retarded.

    Must be cultural?

  9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,791
    Archived
    5746
    Total Posts
    9537
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    That's funny.... I have a coworker from Sweden, and he's fond of telling people they are being retarded.

    Must be cultural?
    Ha ha... could be. This is a collectivist culture (as opposed to individualistic). Swedes get easily offended when people don't submit to norms. Stuff like belief in evolution. No, it's not a trait to be proud of. It's like this in all of Scandinavia. It's not like it's a big secret. We even have a word for it, "Jante".

  10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member braces_for_impact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Clearwater, FL.
    Posts
    1,517
    Archived
    6637
    Total Posts
    8154
    Rep Power
    56
    It's amazing sometimes what contradictory things people can have in their head at one time. I was in the hospital once when I had a nurse that always wore a mask when she came in. She was the only one that did, so I asked her why. It turns out she was some obscure type of Jehova's Witness that didn't believe in vaccinations, along with blood transfusions and most medical intervention. So she hadn't had an inoculations, hence the mask for my protection. A very strange position for an RN to take.

Similar Threads

  1. A REAL LIFE OUROBOROS HAS BEEN FOUND
    By Potoooooooo in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2016, 02:19 PM
  2. a real life version of PIXAR's UP
    By Potoooooooo in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2015, 10:19 PM
  3. Real life example: Was I racially discriminated against?
    By Axulus in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 05-27-2015, 04:57 PM
  4. Wherein A Real Life Gay Couple Moves In With An Anti-Gay Preacher
    By Potoooooooo in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 03:22 AM
  5. Saving the real life yeti
    By Potoooooooo in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •