Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: What jazz are you listening to right now?

1. Top | #201
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We have Charlie Brown Christmas in nice transluscent, green vinyl. Definitely a favourite of ours. I'm sure I've listened to Impressions of Black Orpheus too but it's been a while.

2. Top | #202
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    We have Charlie Brown Christmas in nice transluscent, green vinyl. Definitely a favourite of ours. I'm sure I've listened to Impressions of Black Orpheus too but it's been a while.
    Well, old news to you maybe, but new to me. I’d never paid much attention to the Peanuts Specials, and came across Guaraldi through the back door, you might say.

I( was listening to an old chestnut, the Getz-Gilberto album, and I became interested in the keyboard player, who turned out to be Antonio Carlos Jobim. So I started listening to Jobim (Brazilian jazz, needless to say), and discovered he was the composer of much of the Black Orpheus soundtrack. Pursuing the B.O. soundtrack led me to Guaraldi, and thence to Peanuts.

So I’m late to the party, but at least I got there.

3. Top | #203
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Well, old news to you maybe, but new to me. I’d never paid much attention to the Peanuts Specials, and came across Guaraldi through the back door, you might say.

I( was listening to an old chestnut, the Getz-Gilberto album, and I became interested in the keyboard player, who turned out to be Antonio Carlos Jobim. So I started listening to Jobim (Brazilian jazz, needless to say), and discovered he was the composer of much of the Black Orpheus soundtrack. Pursuing the B.O. soundtrack led me to Guaraldi, and thence to Peanuts.

So I’m late to the party, but at least I got there.
    I'm glad you mentioned it, I definitely need to give Orpheus another listen, maybe one night when I'm not working. I don't think I gave it proper attention before.

I highly recommend Charlie Brown Christmas even when it's not the time of year, beautiful album.

4. Top | #204
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've mentioned him a few times in this thread now, but it looks like Omar Sosa just released a new record called An East African Journey. I haven't listened too closely yet, but I usually enjoy anything put out by him.

5. Top | #205
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    I apologize iof I've posted this before, but I'm listening to it again after a while, and again I'm blown away.

Brad Mehldau really does the Beatles justice. He usually has one Beatles tune per alburm.

6. Top | #206
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

7. Top | #207
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    For something a little more traditional, from the Vocal Jazz playlist on Spotify:

If nothing else, music's been keeping me going and interested throughout the pandemic. Over the past few months, after my wife passes out from another day of parenting, I often sit in our living room between 10 and 11 pm, listen to jazz, and browse the internet. I usually put on my Village Vanguard, or another jazz playlist.

It's like a nightcap of whisky and a cigarette, without the whisky or cigarettes.

8. Top | #208
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This song was stuck in my head this morning for some reason. I went to the grocery store and when I got back home I searched my music collection and played the song. That was a few hours ago.

Just now, I found out that he had passed. RIP B.J. Thomas.

9. Top | #209
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head was released about 9 months after LBJ left the White House, and it became his favorite song. (When I took the bus tour around the LBJ ranch, they played it as part of the recorded message.) He told people that it was one pop song with a strong upbeat message. I heard it so many times back around '69-'70 that it's like So Happy Together or Georgy Girl -- been there, done that, no more please. I can appreciate the songwriting chops, but I don't need to hear it again. There are oldies I can revisit forever, I guess -- Sgt. Pepper, Truckin', Freedom (by Hendrix), Me and Bobby McGee, Green River, Suspicious Minds, Son of a Preacher Man...I'm sure some people are sick of these, but not me.