Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Live Event Did You See (Rate it)?

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Catching up...

Aladdin (musical) - Oi! A show for children. The sets are nice, the cave set was incredible! The flying carpet was very impressive. Singing, acting all par with what you'd expect. But the story is so unbelievably simple. By the time there is a resolution to the simple plot, you get the feeling there wasn't much need for a resolution. The Genie was Robin Williams like (and I think he was the understudy!). 2 of 4

Rent
    (musical) - Revival... not a remake. 20th anniversary of the epic Rent musical. I was in college in NYC when Rent first came out. And boy... have things changed. The controversial angles in the show... not so controversial. Personally, I didn't get the story. The guy gets in with a gal that has issues. He needs to get out of it because it will be destructive to him. This is represented as if he is running away from the problem... not actually doing what was reasonable. The opening number felt dumbish. The other songs were good... and the musical segues were unique. Funny to think a show could be controversial and in just 20 years almost be behind the times in a way. Though, the struggle of addiction certainly is applicable today, perhaps even more so. The show didn't blow me away, but it certainly wasn't average either. 3 of 4

The Humans
    (play - dramady) - This is about as real life and normal as a show gets. In fact, I was left wondering whether it was compelling or lazy. Simply put, it is a family of four and a grandmother and boyfriend having Thanksgiving dinner.

I'd say this is Mel Brooks comedy at its best, and I don't mean it is Spaceballs slapstick. "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

That is this show. You are laughing because it isn't you at that table, and you darn well know that it has been you at that table. That is what makes the show work, it is a universal experience that everyone knows... family is great, family is a pain in the arse.

The show, by no means is a blockbuster. It doesn't open your mind to a new experience... you've already been there (and that is the point). I could live without seeing this one again. Unfortunately, its simplicity and common experience quells the impact of it. The acting is very good, you care about this family, but it seems a little too real. Glad I saw it, but would have little interest in seeing it again.

2.5 of 4

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Saw Pink Floyd in 1994 at the Pontiac Silverdome. First complete performance of the album Dark Side Of The Moon since 1975. Same show was taped in London and became their Pulse DVD set. I got to see it first!

BTW, this is what the Silverdome looks like today.
    I actually saw Dark Side live in London back i 1975....still look back with joy at the experience.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I live in Manhattan, so get to see a lot of great stuff.......recently, though:-

Stomp. Simply the best rhythm/percussion/dance show in existence. I've seen it 6 times, but as they change the show and the cast every 6 months or so, it's always new. Hugely comedic too. Just go.

Hamilton. Went about 5 weeks ago. There are no words for how great this show is. It's expensive, but worth every penny. One of the current stars, Brian Terrell Clarke (plays Washington) is a friend, and we got backstage passes. It really is a once in a lifetime experience.

The book of Mormon. Trouser-wettingly, hysterically funny. Worth making a special trip to see it. The treatment of the mormon religion is viciously, excellently, appropriately, scathingly funny. It has many great songs, but my favourite is "Hasa Diga Eebowai!".

Something Rotten. A wonderful, irreverent, show based around how Shakespeare got all the attention an d money, causing competitors at the time to struggle. Clever, and funny as hell.

Jazz at Kitano. This is an unlikely, but fantastic place to get live Jazz every day. it's a Japanese tourist hotel with a jazz club on the ground floor, which does 2 sets every night, year-round. It's always world class, and we go back about once a month. I think it's as good as Dizzy's at the Lincoln Center.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

4. Top | #14
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Les Miserables - I was really looking forward to watching this and was terribly disappointed. I wasn't certain what I was watching, a love story, a story about revolution, a story about overcoming the odds. It just seemed to be all over the place. The singing was great, the special effects were impressive, but I was bored to tears... I mean not as bad as Love Never Dies, but I just

Chicago - Really enjoyed this and not because of the nudity. The show was just great with a strong cast and left me wondering, "Did Eddie George have a Hall of Fame career?" I really have no idea. Great overall humor and consistent job of selling the publicity premise. Also, contains my newest favorite line.

5. Top | #15
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Miss Saigon - Man, it is a kick to the teeth! And not in a Love Never Dies making you wonder why you are still there and haven’t walked out by now?! This show was remarkable in telling an inconvenient consequence that America rather ignore because they want to move on from a big mistake. The opening song of the second act makes it clear the truth exposed in the show.

The talent on stage was impressive, despite the general lack of pedigree except for The Engineer. Will complain that I couldn’t resolve most of the lyrics of the chorus.

My one problem with the show is the attempt to retell a story that is about general indifference of soldiers and shifting the soldier into the role as a hero or at least empathetic, more so than that is justified.

3.5 of 4

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Cage the Elephant.

I wasn't a big fan, until I saw them live. Fantastic performers.

7. Top | #17
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Remembered I saw Alan Parsons way back in like November.

Great show. A pretty decent size band playing alongside Parsons. They performed the I Robot album en masse and in order, so that was what made the price of admission worth it. The vocals were wonderful, who knows how much is piped in, but based on the number of vocalists, it had to be somewhat legit. Definitely a lot nicer seeing a concert in your own city, not having to drive a couple hours. Akron does have a nice theater, be great if artists used it more. Sure, you can't actually drive in Akron right now due to an onslaught of construction everywhere, but Civic Theater is real nice.

I wish Parsons would play from TAO, On Air (Apollo, One Day to Fly), and Time Machine (Ignorance is Bliss). He pretty much only does the Project era material. Probably going to have limited times to see him in the future, if at all. He ain't no spring chicken... and he is all there is from the original band. About all that is left would be playing Ammonia Avenue in whole, though I'd expect them to do Eye in the Sky first, if they went that route. First Turn of a Friendly Card suite, then I Robot. The show I saw back in '99 they did most of Tales (and stuff from On Air and Time Machine).

And with front row seats at $70 a pop? 4 of 4

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    MST3K Live - Had Joel, Jonah, Pearl, and the bots. Full movie for them to riff on, and an invention exchange too.

9. Top | #19
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A Bronx Tale - Boyz in the Hood for white Italians. Trying to be Italian with a strong New York accent does intercept the great vocals. So we are left for the Motown singing of Jane which stood out as a level of its own amid a vocal score that really wasn't that impressive.

2.5 of 4

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    I saw a road troupe do Shakespeare's A Midsummer Nights Dream. I thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. A simple stage production, no famous actresses and actors, and no special effects.